Can't Send Note by Email

I've tried unsuccessfully multiple times to send a Note by email by selecting the Note, going up to the "Note" menu, and selecting "Share", then selecting "Send a Copy...." I tried a couple different email addresses. I tried it with and without adding a message in the box.

Any ideas?

I am running Evernote Premium on Windows 7.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

I've tried unsuccessfully multiple times to send a Note by email by selecting the Note, going up to the "Note" menu, and selecting "Share", then selecting "Send a Copy...." I tried a couple different email addresses. I tried it with and without adding a message in the box.

Any ideas?

I am running Evernote Premium on Windows 7.

Just tried emailing a note on my Mac and it worked.

One thing you might check is your Spam folders; the mail may have been trapped there.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Analyst444 said:

All I get is an email from the Evernote servers saying they were not able to deliver the emails. 

ok, that's different
Can you post a copy of the email?

Here is an example:

----------------------------

Evernote

Hello Evernote User.

You recently attempted to send an email message from your Evernote account.

Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver the email to your intended recipient(s).

The email was returned to us as undeliverable and no further delivery attempts are possible.

Please verify the email address(es) you used. Some ideas:

• Check for typos

• Check for extra spaces

Details on the undeliverable email message:

Subject:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Recipient(s):
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you,

- The Evernote Team

---------------------------

Not particularly revealing.

25+ years ago, I created and AOL account which I still use as my email server. The problem will probably turn out to be AOL.

If there are some other people monitoring this forum and this thread who have an AOL account, use Evernote Premium, and are running Windows 7, could you please use the Evernote "Send A Copy...." function I described in my original post above on this to see what happens? - - - Please let me know. Thanks.

• Level 5

@Analyst444, I wish I would get an error message! I haven't used this feature before and decided to test it today. I tried sending two simple text notes, first from the Android app (3-dot menu at top right > More sharing > Share static note ["Email a copy of the current version of this note"]); and then from the Windows program, using the procedure you described (Note menu > Share > Send a Copy...). In all cases, Evernote responded with a message "Email successfully sent." But none of those 4 emails has shown up. And this is going to a very ordinary email address (not AOL), the same one that I use for my Evernote subscription; like you, I have EN Premium and Win7. I haven't even gotten the message you received telling me there's a problem!

According to the How to share notes via email help article, "Once people receive your email, they receive a snapshot of the note at the time you shared it. They won't see any content changes that you may make to that note later." That's what I'd like to do; but absolutely nothing is happening. @DTLow, you say this is working on your Mac? What is the procedure you use?

EDIT: I tried it from the Evernote Web version, and that didn't work either.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

you say this is working on your Mac? What is the procedure you use?

One  idea - was this a large note? My email service has limits and would kick it back.

Sorrry, I've nothing to contribute.

I'm just using the standard process and it works on my iPad and Mac

I dislike using the Evernote service, and usually send to myself and then forward the message.  This way the recipients don't get caught in the spam filter trap, and they have an address to reply to.

I was hoping the error message might be something to follow up but it doesn't help.

• Level 5*

Email is not by any means a guaranteed 'instant' service - you may find that these emails take a while to arrive.  In the meantime,  can you screenshot a note and attach the image to your own email,  or print the note to PDF (you may need a PDF editor app) and attach that to your email?

Agreed, but within a day or two, I get an email from the Evernote servers that they could not send my email. (See an example above in my third post to this thread.)

Yes, it is an easy matter to copy the Note, paste it into a new email produced by my email app, and send it that way. But, it would be more efficient if the  "Send a Copy...." function within Evernote worked.

• Level 5*

I was more thinking of checking whether any email to this/ these addresses worked - if you can send content from your normal mail client,  but not from Evernote,  that would confirm that there's something to look into...

• Level 5
On 11/26/2016 at 7:39 PM, gazumped said:

Hi @Dave-in-Decatur - did you check the spam folder at that email address?

Just checked it, and none of these e-mails is there. There are workarounds, of course (more on the PC than in Android); but given that the function is present in the menus, and does work on iPad and Mac, it really shouldn't need to be worked around. I'm really surprised that it doesn't work in the Web version. @DTLow, @gazumped, does it work form the Web for you?

• Level 5

@DTLow (whom I gratefully thank!) and I have exchanged some private messages, and it seems that notes I send from Evernote to his e-mail do go through, but notes he sends to my e-mail do not. Yet they don't appear in my spam folder, either locally or on the Comcast Web mail site. So the problem may not be in Evernote after all, but in something weird in Comcast. However, I will say that I don't have this problem with e-mails from any other source. I'll see if there are any adjustments I can make in Comcast.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@DTLow (whom I gratefully thank!) and I have exchanged some private messages, and it seems that notes I send from Evernote to his e-mail do go through, but notes he sends to my e-mail do not. Yet they don't appear in my spam folder, either locally or on the Comcast Web mail site. So the problem may not be in Evernote after all, but in something weird in Comcast. However, I will say that I don't have this problem with e-mails from any other source. I'll see if there are any adjustments I can make in Comcast.

Comcast have its own blacklist?  Not likely, but....

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Comcast have its own blacklist?  Not likely, but....

Internet service providers do have their own 'anti spam' systems and maybe subscribe to online lists,  so it is quite possible that the Evernote emails are being binned by the email system.  Some of the indicators are too many mails sent from one source,  obvious circulars with <no.reply> addresses,  and sometimes keywords in content.  Mizpellings and to!! many!!! exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are also in there somewhere - which obviously Evernote can't control since it's our note content.  They might have some work to do on the whole emailing out thing thought.  WIth the number of live users their mail account must be pretty busy.  :)  (And I used to do anti-spammy stuff for a UK ISP with exactly the same issues...)

• Level 5

Well, some progress. I sent myself a note at my Gmail address, and it did come through (although it went to my Spam box, but I fixed that). So the problem is definitely Comcast, not Evernote. (Which suggests that, for @Analyst444, it may well be an AOL issue.)

I've fiddled with settings in Comcast, even disabling spam filtering altogether and adding a filter that keeps e-mail whose From includes no-reply@evernote.com in the Inbox. Still nothing gets through. (Comcast does have an Email Safe List; but when that is enabled, only e-mail from the Safe List is accepted!) So I'm inclined to think that @gazumped and @csihilling are right, this is happening at Comcast before it even gets to my settings. I'll give it a couple hours to try to get through, but if it doesn't work, I'll put the spam filter back on and remember to send notes to my Gmail address--if I ever actually want to do this.

Which is not very likely, in point of fact. I was really only testing to see if I could confirm Analyst444's problem. However, if Evernote notes can't go through to Comcast e-mail addresses, maybe that is something Evernote ought to work out with Comcast!

• Level 5

Aaaand now: presumably as a result of the 4 test note e-mails I sent myself last Saturday (discussed in this thread here), within a 10-minute span this afternoon I got 4 Evernote bounce messages of the exact same type that @Analyst444 reported here in this thread. Just yesterday, @DTLow got a similar message regarding a test note e-mail he sent me on Monday. I suppose in a day or two I should expect one more for the attempt I made from the Evernote Web version.

So, to sum up:

:o  :huh:  :wacko:  :angry:

I'm convinced that there is something in the format of the Evernote note e-mails that is causing Comcast and AOL to choke on them, and Gmail to treat them as spam. But why on earth it takes 6 days for Comcast and Evernote (not) working together to get the bounce message to me is beyond my comprehension. I really hope an Evernote staffer will drop by this little conversation. People do want to use this function, which at the moment seems primarily to be a dysfunction.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried sending via both the web app and desktop, to multiple email addresses, and have received the "unable to deliver" message whenever the message is routed to my @sbcglobal.net email address.  This happens whether it is forwarded automatically from a gmail address or sent directly to it. It does get delivered to gmail, so I suspect a blacklist of some sort.

As I have purchased Evernote Premium, I would expect some action on this soon.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, davidaug said:

I've tried sending via both the web app and desktop, to multiple email addresses, and have received the "unable to deliver" message whenever the message is routed to my @sbcglobal.net email address.  This happens whether it is forwarded automatically from a gmail address or sent directly to it. It does get delivered to gmail, so I suspect a blacklist of some sort.

As I have purchased Evernote Premium, I would expect some action on this soon.

Isn't this an issue to be addressed by sbcglobal?

You could try contacting them to get the Evernote email whitelisted 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, davidaug said:

No, this is something that Evernote Support must do.

Given the number of mail servers out there,  and the rolling bans that vary from day to day depending on their own,  and third-party spam and malware detections,  mail volumes and various subscription lists,  Evernote would have to open a new building to house the staff it would need to make a direct approach to every mail server operator around the world.  You would be able to contact sbcglobal's mail support staff and offer to send them test emails if they need it,  to identify the list that's causing this issue.  In the meantime you could send Evernote emails to yourself at a non-sbc address and auto-forward them by rule from that address to your sbc address.

This,  by the way,  is not Evernote support - we're a mainly user-driven forum for suggestions and work-arounds.  If you want to raise this with Evernote I'd suggest you contact support directly,  or message them on Twitter

Archived