Evernote Desktop won't open

Whenever I try to open Evernote, the program just shuts down altogether. It opens for a second and then automatically closes. No error message. I'm using Evernot v 6.4.2. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, uninstalling with Revo and reinstalling and nothing seems to work? Any idea what might be happening and how to remedy this? 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, lifemeanschange said:

Whenever I try to open Evernote, the program just shuts down altogether. It opens for a second and then automatically closes. No error message. I'm using Evernot v 6.4.2. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, uninstalling with Revo and reinstalling and nothing seems to work? Any idea what might be happening and how to remedy this? 

so after the Revo uninstall, you install Evernote, it launches and closes, or do you sign in first? If the latter, there could be a note so horribly corrupt it is downloading causing this.

What does the Activity log show? It is in C:\Users\USERNAME\Evernote\Logs. What about the app log? It records crashes.

• 1 month later...

Same here.  For about 2 weeks now.  Open Evernote, shows interface and notes, closes within 5 seconds.  Uninstall, reboot, re-install.  Same behavior.

Evernote.exe v.6.4.2.3788 (0x80000003) EXCEPTION_BREAKPOINT at 0x0fa8de37

Evernote for Windows 6.4.2.3788 (303788) Public
Client info: Evernote Windows/303788 (en-US, DDL); Windows/10.0.14393 (Win64);

Processor Info:
4 INTEL level 6 revision 0x3c03

Operating System Info:
10.0 build 14393

EVERY EVERYNOTE LOG ENTRY SHOWS FAILS IN THIS SAME ORDER / AT THE SAME POINT:

15:25:59 [9592] Comms Engine: Initializing Engine [[0],[],"has saved state"]
15:25:59 [9592] Comms Engine: getMessages
15:25:59 [9592] Communication Engine client handler failed to retrieve cached events from local data store
15:25:59 [9592] Comms Engine: placementsAvailable: []
15:25:59 [9592] Comms Engine: processServerResponse []
15:25:59 [9592] Comms Engine: Save state {"expireTime":1483662359207,"supportedTriggerTypes":[],"supportedPlacements":[0],"potentialMessages":[],"preparedPlacements":{},"communicationEngineUpdateId":0}
15:25:59 [9592] Comms Engine: placementsAvailable: []

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm running almost the same system without problems,  so I'm not sure what's happening with yours.  It's worth trying the uninstall / restart / reinstall dance a couple of times to make sure,  but if a simple reinstall doesn't work you could go to the next level and remove every trace of Evernote with Revo Uninstaller.  Backup your databases folder first,  just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this exact same issue for over a month - I can log into Evernote on another computer with my account and my husband is able to log into his account on my computer but my account on my computer in Evernote crashes every time.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program numerous times with no luck.  Evernote on my iPhone is running SUPER slow as well.  Would LOVE to resolve these issues.  

Also, I see above where it's said that it could be a note that is so corrupt but how does one determine if that's the case, and if so, which note?  Thank you! 

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, kws52479 said:

I've been having this exact same issue for over a month - I can log into Evernote on another computer with my account and my husband is able to log into his account on my computer but my account on my computer in Evernote crashes every time.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program numerous times with no luck.  Evernote on my iPhone is running SUPER slow as well.  Would LOVE to resolve these issues.  

Also, I see above where it's said that it could be a note that is so corrupt but how does one determine if that's the case, and if so, which note?  Thank you! 

Try uninstalling with Revo as below..

Provided you have NO local notebooks* Use Revo Uninstaller** to locate and destroy (in a totally nice way) all Evernote components you currently have,  then reinstall from a download,  allowing Evernote's server to rebuild your database for you.  Follow the defaults - don't choose any odd locations for your files.

To do this -

• Make sure you sync fully,  and locate your database folder (Evernote > Tools > Options > General for the link)
  • Then File > Exit Evernote and use the link to copy your entire Evernote Databases folder to another location as a backup.
  • Run Revo to exterminate your current installation,  then restart and reinstall.  The server will rebuild your database after you log in.  It can take a while - don't do this when you have to be somewhere soon.

If you DO have local notebooks - make sure you export them to separate ENEX*** files (Options - include Tags) before starting the above.  Re-import the files once the new database has been created.

* What is a local notebook? - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

** http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html - scroll to the bottom of the page for the free version

*** How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557
NB DO NOT rely purely on this method for backing up your entire account

• 11 months later...

This happened to me for the first time today on Win 7 Pro 64.  I used Process Explorer v16.05 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/) to kill all running instances of Evernote, (there were four, including the tray application), and then Evernote opened normally after that.  This is a common occurrence with other Windows programs; it's surprising how often I need to do this.  It suggests also that shutting down and restarting would have also fixed the issue, but I can't be sure.

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

Windows 10 latest update. EverNote clipper if killed makes Evernote desktop start again. It seems that whatever the bug is, it happens when you have poor network connectivity (some other programs lost connection at the same time) I guess that the communication part has vast places in code where it assumes that it will always get a reply and the message received is always correctly formatted, this is usually the case with low-experienced programmers. In communication software it is not enough for the algorithm to be flawless, it has to also be extremely robust, meaning it can deal with situations when the answer is malformed or does not come in time or never comes or comes in a different order than the requests are send, like for example a reply comes for a request that was already cancelled(timed out) and the request is also deleted, while waiting for a reply for a current, different request. Make proper tests for your software to include the above. Also test low memory conditions, make sure that the application does not lock in that case, some browsers spawn a different process for each tab and many people use a lot of tabs(me included).

• 7 months later...

Archived