(Archived) Dropbox functionality

Evernote is a fantastic product, but file handling much simpler in Dropbox. Maybe you could work together with Dropbox so that files stored on Dropbox are visible and accessible from within Evernote. A single interface to notes and files would be a great improvement.

Why not just put the files in Evernote? I keep some Excel & Word documents in EN. Double click to edit or view. Save (if I've made any changes) and boom...it's uploaded back to the EN servers & accessible from any place else I use EN.

Evernote is a fantastic product, but file handling much simpler in Dropbox. Maybe you could work together with Dropbox so that files stored on Dropbox are visible and accessible from within Evernote. A single interface to notes and files would be a great improvement.

I haven't used Dropbox in a very long time now so I'm not sure which particular features it currently has that make "file handling much simpler" but I can give you one tip for creating an EN "dropbox" on your computer (assuming you have the desktop client installed) which I use all the time: use the "import folders" feature to create a folder that automatically uploads it's contents to EN. I have one on my desktop that I can just drag & drop files to, or select it as the destination folder when saving a file. I use this constantly for pdfs (and some other files) I download from the internet.

• Level 5*

I believe that Evernote and Dropbox have some kind of relationship (it's in a CEO blog post at http://blog.evernote.com/2010/04/27/thinkwasabi-interview-with-evernote-ceo-phil-libin/); perhaps some kind of interesting system will come out. We'll see.

That being said, Dropbox is for managing files that reside in your file system; Evernote is for managing notes in their own storage system. Files only come into play when you're importing and exporting. On the import side, the import folder is pretty simple (great tip, btw, missdipsy!), though perhaps not what the power user crowd wants (I've seen requests for the whole tree rather than a single level). Me? I don't want to manage my files through Evernote; I can't see how that would be an advance.

~Jeff

Dropbox is a very nice product. Our people know the Dropbox folks socially, although we haven't done any sort of integration together yet.

While there's a little bit of overlap between our products, I think that they're really for different things. Dropbox is great for managing collections of files on my computer, with deep integration into the Finder/Explorer for using standard file manipulation operations. Evernote is more about your personal memories that you want to search/sort/filter/edit/etc.

If you only used Dropbox a tiny bit (for a handful of files), then you could probably do the same thing in Evernote. And if you only used Evernote for one or two big text notes, then you could probably do the same thing with just Dropbox by storing *.doc or *.txt files inside of their system. Otherwise, I think it's handy to use both for their own strengths.

Archived