Shortcut / Starred per Notebook

jyc23

Idea

It's wonderful that we have the ability to add a note as a shortcut. However, shortcuts are global. Sometimes, I think it would be handy to be able to have shortcuts that are specific to a notebook or a tag. These tag/notebook-specific shortcuts would be limited to notes. So, perhaps to avoid confusion with shortcuts (which can be any number of things: notes, tags, searches, notebooks), we should call these tag/notebook-specific shortcut notes "pinned notes".

These pinned notes could operate similar to how Reminders currently work. If you want to pin a note, you can click a "pin note" icon / choose a "pin note" option from a menu. Then, whenever you view a list of notes containing a pinned note, there would be a collapsible section called "Pinned Notes" which lists the pinned notes, the same way that there is currently a collapsible section for Reminders. The notes listed in the Pinned Notes collapsing area would be the pinned notes that match the current list criteria -- the same behavior that the Reminders section has. 

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, jyc23 said:

It's wonderful that we have the ability to add a note as a shortcut. However, shortcuts are global. Sometimes, I think it would be handy to be able to have shortcuts that are specific to a notebook or a tag. These tag/notebook-specific shortcuts would be limited to notes. So, perhaps to avoid confusion with shortcuts (which can be any number of things: notes, tags, searches, notebooks), we should call these tag/notebook-specific shortcut notes "pinned notes".

These pinned notes could operate similar to how Reminders currently work. If you want to pin a note, you can click a "pin note" icon / choose a "pin note" option from a menu. Then, whenever you view a list of notes containing a pinned note, there would be a collapsible section called "Pinned Notes" which lists the pinned notes, the same way that there is currently a collapsible section for Reminders. The notes listed in the Pinned Notes collapsing area would be the pinned notes that match the current list criteria -- the same behavior that the Reminders section has. 

I understand the "shortcuts that are specific to a notebook or a tag".
Instead of having shortcuts Personal-House, Personal-Car, Personal-Boat
you're asking for shortcut Personal, and sub-shortcuts for House, Car, Boat

Then you go on to Pinned Notes,
There have been various requests for this feature.

57 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I understand the "shortcuts that are specific to a notebook or a tag".
Instead of having shortcuts Personal-House, Personal-Car, Personal-Boat
you're asking for shortcut Personal, and sub-shortcuts for House, Car, Boat

Then you go on to Pinned Notes,
There have been various requests for this feature.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I forgot to say in my first paragraph that I was thinking that the Notebook / Tag-specific "shortcut" could be limited to just Notes. But since these Notebook / Tag-specific "shortcuts" would be limited to Notes, thus be functioning differently from the usual shortcuts, I suggested calling them "Pinned Notes" to avoid confusion. 

Whatever you call it, what I'm looking for is simply a way to have specific notes be available at the top of a list of notes in a way similar to how Reminders are available at the top of a list of notes -- except these notes would not have to be Reminders. Currently, I just use Reminders to pin notes this way, but I think it would be great to have the functionality separate. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, jyc23 said:

Whatever you call it, what I'm looking for is simply a way to have specific notes be available at the top of a list of notes in a way similar to how Reminders are available at the top of a list of notes -- except these notes would not have to be Reminders. Currently, I just use Reminders to pin notes this way, but I think it would be great to have the functionality separate. 

Working with the current featureset, my solution has two parts

1. Switch to title sort sequence
  2. Use prefixes to control the note order
    For example, all my project master notes are prefixed with -, as in "-Project abc"
    This ensures they appear at the top of my notes
    I can use differnt characters, for example + for tasks, Ω for notes at the bottom
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Working with the current featureset, my solution has two parts

1. Switch to title sort sequence
  2. Use prefixes to control the note order
    For example, all my project master notes are prefixed with -, as in "-Project abc"
    This ensures they appear at the top of my notes
    I can use differnt characters, for example + for tasks, Ω for notes at the bottom

That's a great workaround if you're okay with using Title sort. Most of the time, I have my notes sorted by Created Date (that makes the most sense to me - it feels more like a traditional paper notebook). However, I'll try your method, maybe it will work for me. Thank you!

Archived