We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
zahnfee

Is there a way to hyperlink to a notebook?

Hello everybody,

is there any way to hyperlink to a notebook out of a note?

Hope that anybody can contribute an idea. Thanks for your help.

Hi.  In the (optionally visible) left-hand window of all versions of the app,  there's a list of notebooks from which you can choose one to display all its notes.  So in a sense the link already exists.  There is no way - and AFAICS no need - to hyperlink to it from a note.  You do have the option of searching for "notebook:<mynotebook>" and creating a saved search,  which would go into your Favorites - also in the left hand panel. Neither is triggerable from a note.

There are ways to use Evernote.com from the command line -

- which might give you a way to jump to the destination of your choice from a note text;  but where did you want this shortcut to drop you?  In a note?  In a window showing all the notes of that notebook?  In the notebook list with the chosen item highlighted?

Thanks, gazumped.

That´s what I tried. I set this shortcut in a note because there are times when this might be useful.

My command line is: "c:\program files (x86)\evernote\ENScript.exe" shownotes /p notebook:materialien. This works fine from c:\desktop.

However, the link set in evernote (file:///C:/Desktop/materialien.lnk) won´t start.

Hmmn.  I had a quick search around for inspiration on command-line arguments - found two suggestions that might help;  one is to use the command 'start' to initiate an executable,  the other is to set up a batch file on the desktop to actually run the command,  and then run that batch file from your link.  Not sure if either will help,  but that's all I got. 

Within Evernote your request isn't supported - you could start another thread in Feedback to suggest it as a feature,  or I could move this thread if you'd like,  so that there's a voting button to collect some votes.

Thanks for your trouble.

The batchfile is C:/Desktop/materialien.lnk. This works fine from c:\desktop. But it doesn´t work out of a note in EVERNOTE. Here the link to the batchfile will be converted into file:///C:/Desktop/materialien.lnk. Starting this I see a popup asking »Do you really want to open this file?« OK doesn´t start the batchfile.

Well.  This is a puzzle,  but after more examination I don't think it's possible at all.  To start Evernote from the desktop,  all you need is a batch file (that's one ending in .BAT) containing one line - "Start Evernote".  But of all the modifiers available for it and its scripting cousin ENScript,  none will jump to a notebook. 

You can search for terms and jump to a note - so if in each notebook you create a note containing just the name of that notebook,  you could in principle jump to that note;  but that wouldn't show you a list of the notes in that notebook - unless you created a Table of Contents note and added the name of the notebook at the top so you'd see the list (if you keep it up to date) when that note opens.

I can't seem to run a batch file from Evernote though - this would still be a desktop shortcut only.

My sources have been -

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/2668-linking-notes-with-a-batch-file/

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php

How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax

20 hours ago, gazumped said:

Well.  This is a puzzle,  but after more examination I don't think it's possible at all.  To start Evernote from the desktop,  all you need is a batch file (that's one ending in .BAT) containing one line - "Start Evernote".  But of all the modifiers available for it and its scripting cousin ENScript,  none will jump to a notebook. 

You can search for terms and jump to a note - so if in each notebook you create a note containing just the name of that notebook,  you could in principle jump to that note;  but that wouldn't show you a list of the notes in that notebook - unless you created a Table of Contents note and added the name of the notebook at the top so you'd see the list (if you keep it up to date) when that note opens.

I can't seem to run a batch file from Evernote though - this would still be a desktop shortcut only.

My sources have been -

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/2668-linking-notes-with-a-batch-file/

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php

How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax

Thanks a lot. So I guess I must live with this fact. -_-

Greetings

• Like 1

The way I hyperlink to a notebook is super simple. I create a "master file" that contains details about the notebook eg TOC or important details about notebook contents. I copy the link to that "master file" note and paste it in the note or table I want to link the notebook to. When I click on the "master file" hyperlink, Evernote takes me to that notebook. Hope that's helpful. I haven't tried it on the web version of Evernote, only my Desktop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1