ENEX files on the Windows desktop

• Level 5*

Hi folks - just scared myself to death and am wondering whether this was just a Senior moment or was really a serious mess-up on my part..

Any views or experience on what would happen if you click a large backup ENEX file while Evernote is running?

For reasons to do with previous tests and fixes I have an old ENEX file on my desktop.  It's a backup of my default notebook from weeks ago.  I also have a couple of 'template' ENEXes (as discussed in other threads) for a diary note and other things.  They all have the standard green/ elephant icon.  In total I have about 30 icons showing for various documents and folders - I'm not a tidy worker.

This morning I wanted a new diary note and absent-mindedly clicked the icon,  and waited...  and waited... and then realised I clicked the wrong icon: I'd hit the default notebook ENEX,  not the diary note.  Evernote had locked up,  and I had a horrible feeling that it might be about to replace my current Default notebook (22,060 notes) with a version from a few weeks ago with a few hundred fewer notes and lots fewer edits. 

So I killed my wifi connection and tried to close the Evernote window.  Windows 10 told me Evernote wasn't responding,  and I took the option to close it anyway.

Restarted the app (and the wifi) and everything seems to be OK - but did I come close to disaster,  or was I just overreacting?  Evernote may have been about to come up with the usual 'where do you want to restore these items to?' dialogue and -apart from tying up system resources- I would have done nothing worse than sidetrack myself for a while.  On the other hand...

I'll test it out on another account when I have time,  but until then any ENEX files I'm not actively using are in a folder where I can't accidentally click them!

Moral:  Don't keep backup ENEX files anywhere they might get clicked accidentally.  And drink more coffee in a morning...  :huh:

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Any views or experience on what would happen if you click a large backup ENEX file while Evernote is running?

My expectation is the notes would be imported, but use a default notebook (Import xxxxxx)
No harm, except for lost time

My backups are smaller (on a note level) but that's what happens on my Mac

• Level 5*

Not sure if this is the reassurance you want, but only had 3 notes in my Inbox so I exported Inbox to the desktop using Inbox.exe as the file name.  Double clicked and I now have 6 notes in my Inbox.  Deleted the three dups.  I grabbed 10 notes from another notebook, exported and double clicked.  Ten notes appeared in my Inbox all with the same created and updated date.  No questions or interaction at all.  It would appear in my case that double clicking an ENEX on the desktop adds the notes in the ENEX to the default notebook.  How is your default notebook looking?

• Level 5*

Thanks for checking Cal - Sheesh! I think I dodged the bullet by a few seconds - I appear to have exactly as many notes in the default notebook as I started with,  give or take 13 notes which could easily have been my contribution in the hour or so I got online earlier today.  I tend to have Task Manager running to give me a real-time view of what's happening on my system,  and as far as I could see earlier,  Evernote had just locked up.  Whether that was my system in shock at being asked to import 22,000-odd notes,  or some kind of preparation for action I don't know,  but I caught the error quickly and killed wifi (which may have contributed to the lock-up),  then tried to quit Evernote and got Windows to shut it down - apparently before anything bad happened.  I was very lucky though to catch it - in future I'll make a point of telling Windows users they should NOT keep exported notebooks lying around where they might get clicked on...

Hey Everpersons - feature request here too I think:  How about an 'restoring X notes to Y notebook - are you sure?' warning before this happens?  :)  Please?

On 11/17/2016 at 3:14 AM, gazumped said:

...Moral:  Don't keep backup ENEX files anywhere they might get clicked accidentally.  And drink more coffee in a morning...  :huh:

I doubt if it was a moment of any sort.  I don't have anything useful to suggest other than, I'd be happy to treat you to a beer at your preferred local pub.  Perhaps the coffee you mention will have a more salubrious effect on your cognition if you make it a policy sometimes to step away from the keyboard the night before and ambulate to where the brew flows free.

Archived