Disabling google authenticator for 2 step verification

Hello there,

I've tried to set up the 2 step verification and successfully confirmed 2 of my phone numbers with codes. However at the very last step Evernote also kindly asks me to install the google authenticator app, which I kindly decline. Despite having 2 of my phone numbers (one as backup), Evernote refuses to complete enabling the 2-step-verification, and this seems rather strange to me. Because even Google and Facebook do not force users to install the authenticator apps on their Windows machines if phone numbers are provided and verified.

Is there any way to enable 2 step verification for Evernote on computer running Windows without having to install the google authenticator app?

I do have also a few Android devices with Evernote used on 1 of them, which enables me to have google authenticator app installed. However my preference is not to have that app and use the SMS verification method instead.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There are posts on the forums that have gone months without a response,  because this is mainly a user-supported forum and while Evernote Employees do read the content,  they may take a while to get around to it. If you need a quick answer I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can or message them on Twitter

The number of users who've been in your precise situation (including me) may be quite low,  and its not easy to reproduce without messing up my current setup,  which I'm strangely reluctant to try.  I'd say support is your best bet..

• Level 5*

Hi.  Security is an admin function,  and doesn't deal with tech support - which at least gives you an instant ticket number if the report is successful,  and a reserved place in the queue.  Even so it can take a few days for a 'real' person to respond - Evernote have quite a few users and (I'd imagine) several thousand support requests daily.

Try this link to contact support directly if you can,  or you could message them on Twitter

Evernote Support (Evernote Help and Learning)
Nov 25, 05:44 PST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to the Evernote team.

We’ve received your Support request and want to help get you to the right place. With Evernote Basic you can find answers to your questions directly on our Forums or on our Help and Learning Center.

Kind Regards,

Evernote Support

Well, the solution's turned out to be far too advanced for me to comprehend... :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Jimmy Bionic, I just came upon your post and having only recently gone through the two-factor authentication (2FA for short) process myself, maybe I can help. It looks like you will need to set it up with Google Authenticator initially, but after that you can change the 2FA settings on the web version of Evernote to use text messages to your primary phone instead. Then you can delete the Google Authenticator. In thinking about why they have set it up this way, is it possible Evernote has an exclusive agreement with Google? For example you can also login using your Google account but not Facebook or LinkedIn or any other OAuth provider. I also noted that logging into Evernote with my Google account conveniently bypasses the 2FA, which seems a bit counter-intelligent... 

Can I ask why you don't want to use Google Authenticator? I prefer Microsoft Authenticator myself, it just has an Approved button to press instead of a code that needs to be typed in, and the magic of a well-designed User Experience takes care of it all.

Also thanks to you and Gazumped for your humour and patience with the process, it made me laugh

Thanks, terencino. For now and on I will continue using evernote's export function for making regular backups of my notes. That seems a better solution compared to  2FA in this case.

As soon as Evernote team removes the export func, I will remove the app :-)

On 2/9/2017 at 5:17 AM, terencino said:

Hi Jimmy Bionic, I just came upon your post and having only recently gone through the two-factor authentication (2FA for short) process myself, maybe I can help. It looks like you will need to set it up with Google Authenticator initially, but after that you can change the 2FA settings on the web version of Evernote to use text messages to your primary phone instead. Then you can delete the Google Authenticator. In thinking about why they have set it up this way, is it possible Evernote has an exclusive agreement with Google? For example you can also login using your Google account but not Facebook or LinkedIn or any other OAuth provider. I also noted that logging into Evernote with my Google account conveniently bypasses the 2FA, which seems a bit counter-intelligent... 

Can I ask why you don't want to use Google Authenticator? I prefer Microsoft Authenticator myself, it just has an Approved button to press instead of a code that needs to be typed in, and the magic of a well-designed User Experience takes care of it all.

Also thanks to you and Gazumped for your humour and patience with the process, it made me laugh

Logging in with your google account does bypass the 2FA because you're logging in a different  way altogether.  Of course, if you have 2FA set up in Evernote, you should definitely have it set up for your google account.

You also don't have to have google authenticator set up for evernote.  I use the Authy app myself which lets me choose multiple devices to login with.  I much prefer it over google's version. 

Archived