input issues with Android Bluetooth keyboard

I'm having a problem that is only happening on your app.

I'm using a Z4 Xperia tablet with the default BKB50 bluetooth keyboard that comes with it.
I'm using the default software and default ROM (no editions of any kind).

Sometimes, the input behaves wierdly; here's 2 cases in particular.

1. I start typing and some keys are interpreted repeatedly:

"IIIIII sstaaaaaarrrrrttt tyyyypppppinggggga aaandddddd soooommmmmeeee" etc.

2. If I type the accent key, all letters will continue appear with accents until I either type a space (space bar) or a period (.)
ejemplo de casos donde los áćéńtos no dejan de aparecer.
sóĺó´dejan de aparecer cuando escribes (espacio) o (punto).

these two cases happen only on your app.

let me know if I can send a file, a log or something that can help you find and fix the problem.

keep up the great work!!!

• Level 5*

Hi. 

For some arcane reason Bluetooth keyboards don't work well (or sometimes at all) with Evernote.  

That's been the case for a long time,  and there's no immediate sign of any fixes...

Do try uninstalling and reinstalling the app if the keyboard is a recent(ish) acquisition - reinstalling Evernote may jump-start it into working.

This forum by the way is supported (mainly) by users like yourself.  If you want to talk to Evernote contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

• Level 5

@Papini, someone else also recently posted about the accent issue:

@gazumped, I've been using a BT keyboard quite successfully with Evernote (iKross model IKKB13B). I don't have the issue of repeating characters. I do not use any accented characters, so I can't test that (I don't know if this keyboard can even do that). But clearly there are problems with some devices.

• 3 months later...

So after some testing, I can now confirm that the problem lines not with the actual, physical BT keyboard, but with the virtual, on-screen keyboard you're using.

I had drifted away from Swiftkey because a particular bug (selecting multiple words using shift+directional keys in BT keyboard, if you were wondering) and started using Google's GBoard.

I've tried a third keyboard, the Xperia Keyboard that comes preloaded with my Z4 tablet; and I can confirm: it's not the BT input, it's how the software keyboard interprets stuff.

I've lost Swiftkey's word prediction at the bottom of the screen and I've lost GBoard's left-Alt (not to be confused with the Alt-right, drum roll) special character pop-up, but I've regained accented characters across my apps.

Hope this helps!!

• Level 5
16 hours ago, XavierBR said:

I have been using a Motorola KZ500 keyboard and I am having the same problem with accented characters in portuguese keyboard. The problem occurs just in note's body and not happens in the title of the note.

That's an important bit of information. Some time last year, Evernote changed its Android editor to a new one based on Chrome. This has caused a variety of problems (such as Samsung S-Pen input no longer working). However, the note title uses a different editor, and generally does not have these problems. You might try creating a note using the "Add a note" feature in the Notifications pull-down. That also uses a non-Chrome editor, and might work successfully. Unfortunately, it also does not allow formatting of text, so it might not be useful for you.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

That's an important bit of information. Some time last year, Evernote changed its Android editor to a new one based on Chrome. This has caused a variety of problems (such as Samsung S-Pen input no longer working). However, the note title uses a different editor, and generally does not have these problems. You might try creating a note using the "Add a note" feature in the Notifications pull-down. That also uses a non-Chrome editor, and might work successfully. Unfortunately, it also does not allow formatting of text, so it might not be useful for you.

Thank you Dave-in-Decatur for your comments! Based on informations I find out in this forum I solved the problem in my case switching the samsung keyboard to swiftkey keyboard. After this action the BT keyboard is working properly with accented characters. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same "sticky keys" problem. Or, had the same problem. Turns out GBoard was the culprit. I've used my BT keyboard with EN (and all other apps) for years, but lately I had been having that frustrating problem. After thinking about it, I realized I had installed GBoard recently. I have since tried uninstalling / testing / reinstalling / testing several times. When GBoard is on my phone, my BT keyboard doesn't work right. Remove GBoard, and BT keyboard works perfectly.  Too bad, too, because gboard is a great onboard keyboard for texting & short emails on my galaxy g7.

• 1 year later...

I  confirm that using SwiftKey keyboard solves the issue: I was always annoyed with the dead keys not working on Swiss French stock Gboard keyboard (android tablet): in the title, I got the accent until I typed a letter, which replaced the accent, in the note body, the accent remained before the new typed letter. After I read this post, I tried with TouchPal, which I use on my Fairphone. With this keybooard, I got the right behavior on the title line, but in the note body the problem remained the same. After I installed SwiftKey and switched to it, all was working perfectly. Thanks a lot! Btw, in other apps, like Word, for instance, all was OK with the Gboard.

Archived