Moving to a new computer, how to bring the OLD Evernote

On my Win 7 box, I have several folders set up for automatic import into Evernote, and I've kept the source. If I copy the files exactly to my new Win 10 box (which I want to do), then Evernote will re-import all those files. I could re-import each file in all those directories temporarily to some new Notebook and then delete them, but that seems like entirely too much waste of bandwidth.

Suggestions?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, TdeV said:

On my Win 7 box, I have several folders set up for automatic import into Evernote, and I've kept the source. If I copy the files exactly to my new Win 10 box (which I want to do), then Evernote will re-import all those files. I could re-import each file in all those directories temporarily to some new Notebook and then delete them, but that seems like entirely too much waste of bandwidth.

Suggestions?

Generally, my approach to setting up a new device is to reinstall a fresh copy of Evernote and let the database be built from the servers
Note: The build does not include local notebooks - they have to be imported manually

Not sure how the Import folders figure into this.

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not sure how the Import folders figure into this.

If I set up Evernote on a new machine (where it builds from the server) and give it the same folders to import from, and those folders have thousands of items in them, then Evernote will re-import them. And I shall have to go through the exercise of immediately deleting them.

(FWIW, I'm keeping my original docs, in the off-off-off chance that Evernote are not themselves eternal, and I might someday have to move to new software).

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, TdeV said:

If I set up Evernote on a new machine (where it builds from the server) and give it the same folders to import from, and those folders have thousands of items in them, then Evernote will re-import them. And I shall have to go through the exercise of immediately deleting them.

(FWIW, I'm keeping my original docs, in the off-off-off chance that Evernote are not themselves eternal, and I might someday have to move to new software).

Got it
I don't keep files in my import folders.
I never thought about it; I guess its a failsafe; however I don't think I'd keep them after ensuring they were successfully imported.  My Evernote data is covered by other backups.

>>in the off-off-off chance that Evernote are not themselves eternal, and I might someday have to move to new software).

If/When I switch from Evernote, I'm confident I can export my data.
Even now, as part of my backups, I export my notes in html format and the pdf/image attachments are available in my backup folder

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, TdeV said:

You can do something like search for all PDFs in whatever context you want, resource:application/pdf, do a Ctrl-A on the list, and then right click and select Save Attachments.  This will let you put the attachments from the selected notes in a folder.  Sort of recreate the import folder(s) when you want.  Might not need to keep the originals around if you are comfortable with the process.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Don't know if I'm missing the point here,  but it seems to me that the best way to transfer this set-up to a new PC is...

1. Download and install Evernote to the new PC and log in online.  Allow the database to be rebuilt from the server.
    Note:  this will not recreate the link you had with your import folders - you'd have to set up new folders,  or copy the old ones across,  and go through the Tools > Import Folders setup process again to create the link.  So...
  2. Check in Tools > Import Folders to make sure there are no entries in that box,  and if not,  copy your old folders across.
  3. Archive, Zip or otherwise compress the content of those folders and file it (in Google Drive?) under Imports:old;  i.e. empty out your folders of the existing content.
  4. Recreate the import links and start new libraries of imported files.

Your import folder links get 'forgotten' because that relationship is -(I'd guess)- recorded in your current Evernote Databases folder.  It's not synced with the database.

Archived