Transcribe audio/video

Bas Stroomer

Idea

I'd love to be able to add an audio or video file to a note, and transcribe it while playing it.

A keyboard shortcut could add the current timestamp to the transcription, after which I can type whatever I want.

This timestamp should, when clicked, link to the position in the audio/video file, so I can quickly find it back.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bas Stroomer said:

I'd love to be able to add an audio or video file to a note, and transcribe it while playing it.

A keyboard shortcut could add the current timestamp to the transcription, after which I can type whatever I want.

This timestamp should, when clicked, link to the position in the audio/video file, so I can quickly find it back.

An interesting idea, but it seems too niche a feature for Evernote.  
I suspect it would be better served by a dedicated transcribing app
For example: https://transcribe.wreally.com   http://otranscribe.com

• Level 5*

Transcribing also means adding speed and pause/ play controls,  getting time codes from a gazillion different sorts of video and audio files...  lots and lots of work for Evernote to mirror what off the shelf audio and video players already do quite well.  Subject to note size limits,  you can add an audio or video file to a note and play it on any external app installed on that device - or with the Google integration you could save larger media files there.

I don't agree with gazumped and DTLow. All people who record and transcribe interviews a lot know that a workaround with external app is very very uncomfortable. I love Evernote for organizing my work on interviews as texts and it's very convenient to have the audio embedded in the note. I just miss basic playback control and may be a speed adjustment, which were very basic features even 15 years ago…

There is definitely a market for that. I had to buy the F5 app just to have some reasonable workflow and I don't need all its features.

• Level 5*

You're fine not to agree,  but we didn't actually say it wasn't a reasonable request,  just that Evernote would have to spend a significant sum developing this (even though it's a basic feature elsewhere) and delay work on other suggestions that might be in much higher demand.  A couple of extra subscriptions isn't going to make it a worthwhile investment in time and effort for them.

Archived