(Archived) Cannot Use Web Clipper (Firefox)

kunzr1

Hi,

I have been using my web clipper for Evernote with Firefox for sometime now with no problems. Since yesterday however when I attempt to use the web clipper I get the following:

Oops...

Unexpected Error

Our server has experienced unexpected difficulties processing your request. (/Login.action) We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

My desktop clipper and iphone clipper work fine - and all sync perfectly. I just cannot use my web clipper.

Any idea why?

Thanks,

Rowan

I'm not seeing any issues with Clipper version 3.0.0.71760 and Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows. Perhaps you could try these versions?

Firefox 3.6.3 has this problem in Windows 7. I appreciate the suggestion though.

This has been a problem with Safari for Mac for many days now. Please resolve the issue or rollback the change. Is anyone doing regression analysis? This is frustrating to wait so long. It is affecting my workflow, too. Now I have several days of loss-- Not remembering everything!

fellow

Hi,

I have clipper version 3.0.0.71760 - problem still exists.

I checked my desktop Evernote - it is Version 3.5.3 - I checked for update and there are none. This is also the version you offer on your site. How do you get 3.6.3 on Windows?

Cheers,

Rowan

I just got Evernote over the weekend, thinking it was a great solution, but I am getting this same error message on Safari. Glad to know it is a real issue and not just a bum app. I look forward to being able to use it at some point.

Thanks for the report. If you are using our "Javascript" web clipper (i.e. if you're not clipping to our client on Windows or Mac with a "native" clipper), then you may see this error if you clip and are not already logged in to Evernote on the web. If you log in to your web account first, that will avoid the problem.

We have a fix for this issue which will be deployed in tomorrow night's weekly service update.

Thanks

I'm having the same problem. And when I tried logging in to my account from my iPad, it bounces me to the App store, which isn't helpful since I already have the Evernote app.

Will the update fix that "feature" too?

The fix for the desktop web clipper is unrelated to anything on the iPad.

The iPad's web browser doesn't handle our web interface due to a number of limitations (e.g. it doesn't show scrollbars in our list of notes, so you can't navigate within your account). That's why we direct you to install our iPad client instead.

Suddenly and for no apparent reason, my FF web clipper, which has been working fine until this afternoon, is telling me "Evernote is not installed correctly. Please reinstall evernote and clip again." If I don't select anything on a page at all, I don't get this message: the clipper script merely falls over or freezes FF altogether.

I am only using the web client and the Firefox Add-on. I am using firefox 3.6.3 and add-on version 3.0.0.71760

I'm on an XP SP3 machine.

I see that others have had similar probs recently, but they also seem to have been solved by upgrading to the latest version of the clipper. I am already using the latest version; also, seeing other entries on this forum, I tried logging in as a fix: no joy.

The only thing I can think of that I might have done to break the system is to sign my partner up for a second Evernote username on the same machine and log in with that name instead of my usual one.

Have now uninstalled and reinstalled both Firefox and Evernote several times (losing all my other settings in the process), trying to get this sorted out. Even tried system restore, which hasn't helped, but _has_ broken all manner of other stuff.

Kind of tearing my hair out at this point! :-x

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, sorry to bear bad tidings

HT

Hi again

correction, it now looks like I can clip some things (selecting nothing seems to work, text or hyperlinks seem to work), but not images (with or without hyperlinks) - which is still a bit of a dealbreaker for my purposes, I'm afraid!

A mixture of images, text and hyperlinks will also clip okay.

HTH

HT

Ok, this is just a guess, but could you try it again, and then go to: Tools > Error Console

See if there's anything related to Evernote there.

Also - do you have Evernote for Windows installed on that computer? I.e. when you've clipped in the past, does it create a note directly in your Windows client, or does it go to the web first instead?

Thanks

Ok, this is just a guess, but could you try it again, and then go to: Tools > Error Console

See if there's anything related to Evernote there.

Sure enough:

Error: evernote is not defined

Source File: javascript:%20evernote

Line: 1

Also - do you have Evernote for Windows installed on that computer? I.e. when you've clipped in the past, does it create a note directly in your Windows client, or does it go to the web first instead?

I don't have the Windows client installed, and haven't ever had on this machine. I try to be cloud-only wherever possible.

Thanks

Thank you for your trouble! Reckon we might be closing in on it.

Cheers

HT

Ok, I've reproduced the problem - it appears that the Firefox clipper may be having an issue trying to fall back to Javascript-only clipping when it can't find our client. I'll file a bug.

If you're only clipping directly to the web (not to a native client), then you can just use our "bookmarklet" web clipper in Firefox. You can get that from the very bottom of this page:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/web_clipper.php

Drag that "Clip to Evernote" link to your toolbar.

Thanks for the report

Archived