Editor text is blurry/too thin

So I noticed this happening two updates ago and I've read all the topics regarding blurry text (that I can find). As you can see in the screenshot below, everything in Evernote looks nice and crisp aside from the editor. Whatever font I try to use, no matter how big or small, they all seem too thin/blurred. I've uninstalled and installed it back twice now. If it's any help, I'm using Mactype and have tried exclding Evernote from it but no joy. It only gets worse even so I included it back. This doesn't happen to any other installed program in my machine that I know of.

test1.png

Tried making a new note too just incase, thinking it might be something to do with web clipping but as you can see below, it also happens there.

test2.png

Any advice on this? I'm on Windows 7 x64 using the latest Evernote build.

• Level 5*

I'd recommend disabling MacType altogether, and seeing whether that helps.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Oh, and MacType.net? If you're listening in, congratulations on a pretty lame web page. To find out what your product is, you need to download the installer. Sorry, MacType may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I'll never know.

Hah! I realized I agree with you regarding their website. It really doesn't tell you what it's about and if one didn't know where it came from initially one wouldn't know at all. I don't know about sliced bread but it's really nice that it would be a shame if it needed to be disabled just to get Evernote working right again. Tried it for the sake of it though but nada. Editor part is still blurry as hell.

• Level 5*

Hmm, I don't have any more real ideas. I downloaded a version of Open Sans (shown in your screen caps), and that looks OK. Is ClearType being used, and tuned correctly? Are you using Display magnification settings, or did you change the Windows Custom DPI setting? Kinda grasping at straws here; things look fine on the two machines I'm using.

I appreciate you helping out, Jefito! I've tried everything you mentioned before but also tried it a second time a while ago. Turned clear type on and off, disabled display scaling in Evernote's property etc.

Just to check, I also installed an older version of Evernote (5.8.1) and voila, texts are looking as expected. Then upgraded it to the latest after checking my notes out and it reverted back to the thin-ish text that it was before. So I guess if anything it might be proof that it's a problem in the newer EN versions and not my machine (which is a relief, I've been going at it cleaning and uninstalling recent stuff for hours to see if anything changes). Here's a comparison:

bpktdi.png

tfdffi.png

Again, I really appreciate you throwing out ideas. Sooner or later I guess I'll just have to suck it up and hope it gets accidentally fixed in future versions.

v5.8.1 did not support hi-dpi. v6 does. But we only support system-level hi-dpi, not per-monitor. This means if your 2nd monitor is a lower scale than the primary (I have 250% on primary, 100% on 2nd), then it will be blurry there.

Archived