I tried downloading the new version of Evernote for PCs and it wiped my data

I recently installed the new version of Evernote for PC, with the black sidebar. It said it needed to uninstall my current version and I might need to reset my computer, so I had it to do its thing. However, after it uninstalled Evernote, it did not reinstall any version of it, and when I logged in to my account online it gave me a setup screen as if I was a new user and my data was gone. Can anyone at Evernote help me with this? Will a Windows system restore on my PC help me recover my lost Evernote data?

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, RMR said:

I recently installed the new version of Evernote for PC, with the black sidebar. It said it needed to uninstall my current version and I might need to reset my computer, so I had it to do its thing. However, after it uninstalled Evernote, it did not reinstall any version of it, and when I logged in to my account online it gave me a setup screen as if I was a new user and my data was gone. Can anyone at Evernote help me with this? Will a Windows system restore on my PC help me recover my lost Evernote data?

I'm not a Windows user, but my impression is that updating a device would not impact the master copy of your notes stored on the Evernote servers. 

This is a user forum; you could try to contact Evernote at  Contact Evernote Support Twitter @evernotehelps  

You might be able to restore the local copy of your notes from backups, but additional work might be required for the master version of your notes 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I had the same experience - the 'installer' just uninstalled the original version and then disappeared.  As @DTLow says,  though - your database is separate from the app,  so should still be available on your hard drive and online.  I'd be very surprised (and concerned) if you have lost anything but a little time.  If you download and install the latest version from Evernote.com,  and log in with your usual details,  you should see your notes.  If you have logged in via the web,  it's rather easy to set up a new account - just make sure that you are using the correct details for your account!

As reassurance,  have a look for C:\Users\<yourname>\Evernote\Databases\<youraccount>.EXB

If that's missing then I'd definitely suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

Thanks, I ran a Windows system restore and that seemed to clear up the problem. After the restore I found the .EXB file and copied it to a safe place, along with an exported .ENEX file of all the notes, before I reconnected to the Internet.

I got really spooked for a while about losing a couple hundred notes since my last ENEX backup in July. I had started to think about how to copy the recent notes that had been synced to my phone while keeping my phone in airplane mode, etc.

I wonder if the problem was caused because I had enabled beta features about a week ago, and then tried installing the new version today.

• Level 5*

After losing some notes a LONG time ago, I still take a copy of the current exb file so that I can quickly get back to "normal" after  a freaky install - better safe than sorry, IMHO. Sometimes the default directory is changed, so it might seem like you have "lost" your notes, but that is not really the case - if you have the backup.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, FactMan said:

After losing some notes a LONG time ago, I still take a copy of the current exb file so that I can quickly get back to "normal" after  a freaky install - better safe than sorry, IMHO. Sometimes the default directory is changed, so it might seem like you have "lost" your notes, but that is not really the case - if you have the backup.

I count on the Evernote Servers as the backup when I do installs.
This does not include local notebooks which should always be backed up periodically.

Be careful with using .exb from different versions.  
They may not always be compatible  

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Be careful with using .exb from different versions.  
They may not always be compatible  

Thanks for the warning. I have never had a problem with transferring to a new version, but generally the upgrade runs smoothly. Because I take a copy of the exb file before I do the upgrade, I could always revert to the previous version if needed. Most of my notes are stored offline anyway.

Archived