Evernote Web - Will the old/classic interface stay?

Obliv

Hi Everyone,

This may be an old topic by now, but I can't seem to find a clear answer. Will the old/classic version of the web interface continue to be supported for the foreseeable future, or is the plan to remove it once the new interface is no longer in Beta?

I've had to switch most of my Evernote activity to the web interface and decided that I would not be paying for the service and have been looking (unsuccessful) into alternatives for quite some time. I'd never seen the old web interface, so I didn't know it was there. After discovering it, and switching my settings, it's an amazing difference. I can again quickly jump between notes without having to fumble around with a search or a shortcuts menu. It's MUCH more efficient for my purposes.

If Evernote has stated somewhere that this interface will remain a permanent option, I will be purchasing a subscription. Can anyone direct me to this information?

Thanks. 

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-05 at 5:22 AM, Obliv said:

If Evernote has stated somewhere that this interface will remain a permanent option

Evernote has given no indication of what the future Web plans are

In standard development, the public beta would be a temporary implementation and would be implemented permanently
This is not standard; the current beta has been in place for a long time and generated much negative feedback

>>If Evernote has stated somewhere that this interface will remain a permanent option, I will be purchasing a subscription.

If Evernote had $ for every user who said they would pay .......

• Level 5*

It may be indicative that if you created a new Evernote account after the end of (I think) July 2016,  your only version of the web client is the new version.  There's no option to roll back to the old client.  :(

Anyone with an older account is safe for the moment at least...

Thanks for the replies.

If Evernote had $ for every user who said they would pay .......

That's fair, I don't mean to complain. I've been a mooch for a while as a light user, but now do have the need for the extra monthly bandwidth / features and wanted to ensure I wasn't going to rely on a deprecated interface since I'll be unable to use the Windows/Mac clients.

It may be indicative that if you created a new Evernote account after the end of (I think) July 2016,  your only version of the web client is the new version.  There's no option to roll back to the old client.  :(

Well that's not good...

---

The pricing I see is yearly, is there a way to pay monthly so I can cancel if the older web interface is no longer available? If I do cancel a subscription, am I right to assume that all existing data safe and I'm just back to less upload bandwidth and basic features?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Obliv said:

The pricing I see is yearly, is there a way to pay monthly so I can cancel if the older web interface is no longer available? If I do cancel a subscription, am I right to assume that all existing data safe and I'm just back to less upload bandwidth and basic features?

I understand the plus/premium plans can be subscribed monthly.

Ever if you don't see it on the plan pages, select the plan and you should see the monthly option

On 11/6/2016 at 0:58 PM, gazumped said:

Now this is encouraging...  https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2016/10/17/bringing-micro-services-to-the-client-side-project-ion-and-micro-components

Evernote appear to realise that the web version has been orphaned for a while,  and are actively developing something with far more functionality to replace it.

Here's the interpretation:

Our first attempt was an utter failure.  Our next attempt will be good for attracting new developers to EN, which of course, is our real reason for existence.  No, we don't need the advice of hundreds of thousands of our loyal users.  We are writing this epistle of blah blah blah to explain why we just can't leave well enough alone.  We are using the Blah Blah language so that our mortal users won't dare admit to their ignorance by daring to make suggestions that only waste our valuable time in providing nonresponsive responses.

Sincerely,

Your EN Team.

Please, please EN, prove me wrong.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, rwl said:

Here's the interpretation: ....

I'm not clear on your point of view

Are you wanting Evernote to "leave well enough alone"
Many users have advised Evernote that they dislike the new interface; they prefer the old interface but they want upgrades implemented.  

My view is that Evernote has responded to the users.  
- They did not remove the old interface, and are working
- They are addressing the upgrades.
The referenced report discusses a project at overhauling the back-end.

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not clear on your point of view

Are you wanting Evernote to "leave well enough alone"
Many users have advised Evernote that they dislike the new interface; they prefer the old interface but they want changes implemented

No, I'm sure they have to move forward for the common good for reasons that my small brain can't begin to understand.  What I really want this time is that they really listen to the users about current functionality that should be retained, and not just assume that anyone with a brain must be a minimalist.  There is nothing in that document that tells me they realize unresponsiveness to users was part of why the beast version failed, so I have to wonder if they see that as a problem.  Maybe a little sarcasm will help wake them up.

• Level 5*

As far as we know,  the general wish from users is for Evernote Web to be more of a clone of the desktop versions than at present.  The link is to a piece than seems to say that until now the way web pages are coded meant that they simply couldn't perform the same tasks - your desktop has memory,  local storage and a fast processor;  a web page can only use a small part of those resources and/ or share some of the load with a server.. that's also servicing thousands or millions of similar requests at the same time.  Plus to be usable,  the web page has to download quickly,  even over a bad internet connection,  so can't be too big.  An installed app can be hundreds of MB in size and calls on different procedures from that app take fractions of a second...  Basically web-based processing can't be as effective as disk based stuff.

Software engineers though have now developed new ways to deal with some of these problems,  so Evernote is looking at how to implement the whole 'like a desktop' thing again.

As to minimalism,  it's not just Evernote... https://backchannel.com/how-the-web-became-unreadable-a781ddc711b6#.towf7g4f3

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

As far as we know,  the general wish from users is for Evernote Web to be more of a clone of the desktop versions than at present.  The link is to a piece than seems to say that until now the way web pages are coded meant that they simply couldn't perform the same tasks - your desktop has memory,  local storage and a fast processor;  a web page can only use a small part of those resources and/ or share some of the load with a server.. that's also servicing thousands or millions of similar requests at the same time.  Plus to be usable,  the web page has to download quickly,  even over a bad internet connection,  so can't be too big.  An installed app can be hundreds of MB in size and calls on different procedures from that app take fractions of a second...  Basically web-based processing can't be as effective as disk based stuff.

Software engineers though have now developed new ways to deal with some of these problems,  so Evernote is looking at how to implement the whole 'like a desktop' thing again.

As to minimalism,  it's not just Evernote... https://backchannel.com/how-the-web-became-unreadable-a781ddc711b6#.towf7g4f3

Thanks gazumped for the explanation.

If the move is more toward the desktop functionality, that would be great.  Interestingly enough I really prefer the old web to the desktop for some reason. Maybe this is because I can't use the desktop version at work, so I just get used to navigating with the web layout.  But I would be pleased to see the direction go more to the desktop experience and as far far away from the beast as possible.

I really liked the article,  I always felt there had to be some driving force behind all this madness.  It's kind of scary to see how far "group think" can take us without an ounce of evidence to back it up.  You would think that with the millions of dollars at stake in user acceptance and internet commerce, someone would actually be testing these concepts.

• Level 5*
On 11/14/2016 at 5:29 AM, gazumped said:

Well at least they make the text larger as they make it lighter!  ;)  

My bank just did one of these redesigns - what used to take two clicks now takes four and now one must scroll to see everything when before all was visible on the page.  But is is pretty.  Progress.  Hopefully the new EN web design will balance pretty.and functional.

Archived