Evernote 6.4 Win 7 client doesn't scroll properly when note off bottom of screen

Alan Rew

Idea

Since I installed the Evernote Windows client 6.4 on my Windows 7 desktop PC, the note editor doesn't scroll properly when the note extends below the bottom of the screen.

This is very annoying, as I frequently have multi-screen notes for my work.

1) End of page when page overflows screen, insert some blank lines by hitting 'return' key a few times, the new lines aren't visible (they're below the bottom of the screen); you have to manually scroll or use ctrl+end to get to the new insert point. This is totally unlike any text editor I've ever used, and not the usual paradigm.

2) Paste new text from clipboard in after inserting blank lines as in (1), new pasted text not visible, again I have to manually scroll down or ctrl+end.

Please fix this annoying problem ASAP.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan

Evernote Premium user

41 replies to this idea

Still having this issue. Win 8.1 Really annoying. Also inconsistent; it usually has this issue, but sometimes it will track new lines past the scroll overflow/bottom of screen. Has been many months, have lost track as there are numerous issues with basic text note editing.

Still disappointed with attention to detail in core functions, Evernote. Please fix this.

In all seriousness, maybe you need a re-write to the entire text editor module. It create horrific markup behind the scenes, lists are a mess.

I'd be perfectly happy with a functional implementation of markup. There was a flurry of news about some new table handling but I really think getting basic note taking working properly is far more important.

I don't know where Evernote has gone. A year-long summer vacation? Courting suitors?

Anybody with good alternatives that could import my around 5,000 notes with tags? I'm liking more and more the web based versions of apps. Maybe I'll import my ever-notes to Airtable.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, ripwit said:

I don't know where Evernote has gone. A year-long summer vacation? Courting suitors?

There's been plenty of changes to the Windows Evernote client, and plenty of discussion on the various beta release threads here in this forum. Have you been updating? 

I'm on 6.6.2.5173 (prerelease) on two machines. I think I rolled back from beta on another at home.

When I click on Check Updates I am told there are none. Is no one else seeing this except me (I know that's not true because of a few other comments.

There was a flurry of activity from the help desk and I submitted multiple logs and recordings of this problem.

Why do you question me updating? Should I be re-installing every month or two? That used to be the way to fix every Windows problem.

I too am not so patiently waiting for the fix of the scrolling issue.  I know there was an email about something being fixed in a beta version, but I don't particularly like to play with beta versions and am waiting for the "real" one!  And yes, I'm up to date on the updates.

It's been many, many months....

You broke it...please fix it!

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, ripwit said:

Why do you question me updating? Should I be re-installing every month or two? That used to be the way to fix every Windows problem.

I was not referring to-reinstalling, just updating to the latest version if you hadn't already.

I was surprised because there have been a number of changes to the Windows client over the past year or so, and that made me wonder why you were implying that Evernote has not been working on it. The most recent beta (you appear to be on it) was release a bit over a month ago, and while it had some interesting additions, I think that it also had some pretty significant glitches, so I'm guessing that they're working at fixing those before the next release (I'd expect that it will be Beta 2, but it might be a full GA official release too).

On 7/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, seTea said:

How come this problem is not solved yet?

On second thought, perhaps they are not able to fix the problem because of unusual electronic issues, if Evernote guys ever come to me and tell me so, I will buy their story and stay put, be patient. However, most of other Evernote users won't accept the scenario I just mentioned like I do. 

Hi there,

I'm on Version 6.6.2 Prelease 305173 and I'm not able to reproduce this issue any longer. When I type text or use a carriage return on the bottom line of a note, the note scrolls appropriately to continue displaying the text (previously the text/spaces would be hidden below the bottom margin). Likewise, if I paste text on the bottom line of the note, the content displays as expected. 

If you are still experiencing this issue (or a similar issue) could you confirm the version you are on and provide a quick screen recording so we can better understand the behavior you are seeing?

Thanks!

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, kgg said:

If you are still experiencing this issue (or a similar issue) could you confirm the version you are on

Just to be difficult...  I "created" a long note by copying and pasting two lines of text repeatedly down a note until I got to the bottom of the window.  I was able to Ctrl-V paste repeatedly past the bottom of the screen (see screen shot) without a scroll,  but as soon as I touched another key - <space> will do it - the cursor popped up.  (The two lines in question ended in a character,  not a space.)

(6.6.3 - 305484)

597a12fdc3a66_ScreenClip2.png.0543fb5b6341fa3dfc2f64a797528cd6.png

Hi @gazumped,

Thanks for reporting this. I updated to 6.6.3 and was able to reproduce this. It looks like it is related specifically to pasting as I could only reproduce when pasting content. It also appears that if you scroll down after it happens, it seems to "reset" the note and then the issue no longer happens. Please let me know if this doesn't work for you. 

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, kgg said:

Hi @gazumped,

Thanks for reporting this. I updated to 6.6.3 and was able to reproduce this. It looks like it is related specifically to pasting as I could only reproduce when pasting content. It also appears that if you scroll down after it happens, it seems to "reset" the note and then the issue no longer happens. Please let me know if this doesn't work for you. 

I think I'm just a bad person...  just set up another note with nonsense text and pasted below the note end.  Scrolled down,  which did seem to reset the note for another paste or two - the text scrolled up for a couple of further pastes;  but if I kept on pasting random text it wasn't hard to get below the window area again.  Not suggesting this is anything like normal use,  and it probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  I'm flexible enough to live with the window as it is.  :)

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

I think I'm just a bad person...  just set up another note with nonsense text and pasted below the note end.  Scrolled down,  which did seem to reset the note for another paste or two - the text scrolled up for a couple of further pastes;  but if I kept on pasting random text it wasn't hard to get below the window area again.  Not suggesting this is anything like normal use,  and it probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  I'm flexible enough to live with the window as it is.  :)

Hiya @gazumped, Got it. Thanks for clarifying. There do seem to still be a few little quirky issues surrounding that lower margin esp. after pasting multiple rounds of text without a carriage return. I demonstrated the issue to our development team so they should be able to address this in an update soon. I sincerely appreciate you providing the detailed steps to reproduce. 

I've just installed the newly-available release 

6.6.4.5512 (305512) Public

and the bug mentioned in the OP is now FIXED. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, FWIW.

Recommend users do

Help->Check for updates

and install latest version :-)

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Alan Rew said:

I've just installed the newly-available release 

6.6.4.5512 (305512) Public

and the bug mentioned in the OP is now FIXED. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, FWIW

It may be possible for you (the original poster) to mark this topic as solved -- I'm not sure how to do that, but if you can figure it out, you should probably do it. Thanks.

Any updates on this very annoying problem? 

I have Evernote 6.4.2.3788 (303788) running on a Windows-10 platform where memory and disk space are not even remotely an issue and I'm paying for a Premium account. I've become dependent on and use Evernote daily, but this issue with the cursor dropping below the bottom instead of scrolling up is testing my patience. 

I logged into to the foruns imediatly after update just to complain about this. This needs fixing ASAP, its pissing me off to an extent i can't convey.

Btw someone please, how can i roll back an update? Ive been holding back updating since i saw so few changes, and now i profoundly regret it.

I do huge texts on Evernote- its one of the things that sets it appart from other choices. This lack of attention for something so basic in a stable release (im not on beta) left me worried.

I've noticed this but thought it was to do with having the status bar on - the last line of my notes is often beneath the status bar and I have to toggle it off or add some pointless blank lines to the end. The way you've described it I can reproduce this every time.

On 11/4/2016 at 7:09 PM, Alan Rew said:

Since I installed the Evernote Windows client 6.4 on my Windows 7 desktop PC, the note editor doesn't scroll properly when the note extends below the bottom of the screen.

This is very annoying, as I frequently have multi-screen notes for my work.

1) End of page when page overflows screen, insert some blank lines by hitting 'return' key a few times, the new lines aren't visible (they're below the bottom of the screen); you have to manually scroll or use ctrl+end to get to the new insert point. This is totally unlike any text editor I've ever used, and not the usual paradigm.

2) Paste new text from clipboard in after inserting blank lines as in (1), new pasted text not visible, again I have to manually scroll down or ctrl+end.

Please fix this annoying problem ASAP.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan

Evernote Premium user

I had similar problem and had to removed the latest version of Evernote and installed older version so I can continue to work.

• Level 5*
On 11/5/2016 at 5:45 PM, Vincer said:

Btw someone please, how can i roll back an update? Ive been holding back updating since i saw so few changes, and now i profoundly regret it.

Sometimes, the update process will leave behind old installers. Try Tool / Options / General, then click ion the "Open Database folder" link. You should get an Explorer window, with the current folder named "Databases"; go up a level in the hierarchy, and click into the folder named "AutoUpdate". See if there's a previous installer there - no guarantees, but it might be.

38 minutes ago, dvgibson said:

You have to tell us how to roll this failed update back! Like others I regret I acted so hastily. I create many notes all day long and this is a huge failure.

Search for Evernote new version release announcement in the forum, I found download link of older version through this.

Hi @plummerr

This should be fixed in one of the next two GA updates to the Windows desktop application. I don't have a firm timeline for when each version will be released but I'm hopeful this gives you a better sense that the fix is on its way. You may also want to consider switching to the beta track as this will allow you to receive the fix sooner. If for any reason this issue persists after the next two GA versions have been released, please feel free to follow-up here or message me directly.

I have the same problem too. Both Win7 and Win10. Can confirm, that it's very annoying. Scrolling down after EVERY typed line to see what you actually typed... It is just killing your workflow with persistent interruptions. Critical issue for me.

Last beta release does not solve this issue.

I'm wondering, why not every user reports this bug.

Also having this. I'm on the beta track. Windows 7, Evernote 6.5.1.3988 (prerelease).

It's a royal PITA. Why does such a "mature" product have so many glitches without that much improvement between releases? Do you need more alpha/beta testers? Oh, wait here we are.

Maybe it's related to improper line counting when the font sizes aren't the same as in the developers' environments. Sometimes things like using the Windows Display "Make Text Size Larger/Smaller" setting can ***** up programs. I have mine set at 110% (Thinkpad W701 17" with 1920x1200) display. I don't see this on my Windows 10 Yoga (set at 175%). I do use bulleted lists a lot - not sure if that's germane.

Yes - I see it on Windows 10 also.

Since I take a lot of bulleted list notes, after I hit return to start a new bullet it is off the bottom of the screen. I hit the space-bar and then backspace. It's a Royal Pita

This was posted more than 6 months ago with no word from EN about how/when to fix. Customer care seems very poor nowadays.

Archived