How to find total storage space I am using?

I am trying to find out how much total storage space my Evernote account is using. For some reason, it does not appear in any profile, statistics, etc., lists. You would think this would be easy to find but I have looked in every conceivable place, and even searched the support database.  

• Level 5*

You don't mention what platform, but if Windows go to Tools - Options - General  and click on Open Database folder.  The file with an EXB extension should approximate the size of your EN data base.

Thanks. I have a Mac (macOS 10.11.6). There is a folder in ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote, but it is hard to tell from the filenames exactly what is content, what is metadata, and what is duplicated.  The entire forlder is about 300MB, so that is an approximate upper bound, assuming Evernote is not keeping some things elsewhere. Ideally the app would just tell you how much space you are  using on EN's cloud servers. They seem to go out of the way to obscure the information.  

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, e60m5 said:

Thanks. I have a Mac (macOS 10.11.6). There is a folder in ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote, but it is hard to tell from the filenames exactly what is content, what is metadata, and what is duplicated.  The entire forlder is about 300MB, so that is an approximate upper bound, assuming Evernote is not keeping some things elsewhere.

If you click on About Evernote and press the Option key, you'll get a link to your database folder

You can get the size of the database on your Mac
This should be complete, unless you have local notebooks on other computers.
I have two accounts 1.86GB and 5.76GB
The database for each account is under a number folder for example 123456

Space used on the servers would be similar, but not include local notebooks
So it could be less space; however for me, the important number is the space taken up on my computer

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, e60m5 said:

They seem to go out of the way to obscure the information.  

Might be more like they don't go out of their way to present the information, other than the amount of monthly usage.  ;)

it says I have monthly storage, but the month has passed and it won't let me add anymore notes - why bother with a program that is "free" and then say you can't add anything to it unless you upgrade - now I have all this stuff on evernote, and can't add anything more -so I want to take what I saved and save it to something that lets me add more without charging me money - what am I missing in not getting a monthly upload allotment in basic - does one get it, and I'm not understanding how to access it or does not get it and I'm misunderstand - monthly upload allotment in basic?

• Level 5*
On 11/5/2016 at 11:07 AM, helene.leff@gmail.com said:

does one get it, and I'm not understanding how to access it or does not get it and I'm misunderstand - monthly upload allotment in basic?

One does get the monthly allotment and it resets every month.  On the web version of EN go to Account Settings - Account Summary and you should see the usage you have remaining and the number of days to the reset.

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-05 at 11:07 AM, helene.leff@gmail.com said:

it says I have monthly storage, but the month has passed and it won't let me add anymore notes - why bother with a program that is "free" and then say you can't add anything to it unless you upgrade - now I have all this stuff on evernote, and can't add anything more -so I want to take what I saved and save it to something that lets me add more without charging me money - what am I missing in not getting a monthly upload allotment in basic - does one get it, and I'm not understanding how to access it or does not get it and I'm misunderstand - monthly upload allotment in basic?

All account levels have monthly maximum limits on upload - no limit on storage

You can use local notebooks if you don't want to upload your data.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/5/2016 at 2:07 PM, helene.leff@gmail.com said:

it says I have monthly storage, but the month has passed and it won't let me add anymore notes

Check https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Evernote-system-limits   If you can't add a small new note, possibly you have 100,000 notes.   By selecting notes, I can see at the top of the Note panel that my 3,000+ notes is well below the maximum. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2016 at 9:17 PM, DTLow said:

The database for each account is under a number folder for example 123456

I found that folder under accounts in the Application Support. Is all data, including the notes inside that even important settings?
(I have not scattered / stored local notes on different macs)....

I guess this is the right folder? (the size is 700 MB)
file:///Users/sm/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

I was not able to opion click for the info on "About Evernote"...... but the main thing is to know the excact location of the one important folder (to do a correct backup)?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mangoguru said:

the main thing is to now the excact location of the one important folder?

Hold down the option key, click Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder

E6980DF5-2C47-44B5-A30A-B054E4A18BC8.png.ed298e224b0d4b3912f66d5cf82af596.png

• Level 5*
Just now, mangoguru said:

So that is THE folder to backup right? All inn there?

This is your complete database folder, all your data is in there.

You can use this for backups but make sure you know how to work with it; it's not a simple process.

On 11/3/2016 at 6:14 PM, e60m5 said:

I am trying to find out how much total storage space my Evernote account is using. For some reason, it does not appear in any profile, statistics, etc., lists. You would think this would be easy to find but I have looked in every conceivable place, and even searched the support database.  

On a mac, go to Evernote(on the top)(if you have the app) > About Evernote

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, mangoguru said:

In order to restore a backup all there is to it I guess is to replace that folder with the backed up folder?

The master version of your data is stored on the Evernote servers, and sync'd with your devices.

You have a data copy on your Mac, and yes, you can restore that folder.  
When you run a sync, the data will be updated from the server, undoing the restore.

Before you run the sync, you need to capture any notes you want to save.

• Level 5

On upload limits: EN treats any changes to existing notes as new uploads.

So if you’re on BASIC, open a note in the client, put only one blank in or out, and close it again, the full size of this note is discounted from your monthly limit. This can eat up the allowance pretty fast, especially if the notes are larger. No workaround if using a local client. I think you do not loose anything when working through the web browser client, because then you stay on the cloud DB.

Archived