After annotating image is re-sized to a much smaller resolution.

I'm using android app version 7.9.6

First of all If i take a picture in the evernote app, it's a much lower resolution to begin with than the phone's picture capabilities.

Even if I import a full resolution image into evernote, after annotating it the picture is re-sized and the resolution looks horrible, to the point that if it's an image of smaller text it makes it illegible.

This basically makes the annotate feature useless.

This can't be the expected behavior can it?  

I noticed someone in the mac forum had a similar issue back in May.  Does anyone know what's going on or is evernote planning to fix this?

• Level 5*

Haven't carried out any tests to see what degree of loss applies,  but we already knew that Evernote is not the place to store hi-res pictures,  not least because it transcodes the picture into the database and back again when you wish to view it,  and applies some degree of reduction process if only to save space.  I'm surprised that it would resize to the point of making text illegible,  unless that's very small text in a very big image. 

You may be able to protect the content to a degree by converting the pictures to PDF format (which will also change the resolution) but if this is an issue for you I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter for more suggestions.. make sure you include the URL of this thread for background.

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

Haven't carried out any tests to see what degree of loss applies,  but we already knew that Evernote is not the place to store hi-res pictures,  not least because it transcodes the picture into the database and back again when you wish to view it,  and applies some degree of reduction process if only to save space.  I'm surprised that it would resize to the point of making text illegible,  unless that's very small text in a very big image. 

You may be able to protect the content to a degree by converting the pictures to PDF format (which will also change the resolution) but if this is an issue for you I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter for more suggestions.. make sure you include the URL of this thread for background.

Thanks Gazumped.  I'll contact them.  Is it possible to save an image as pdf within evernote?  I don't really need it for storage of high resolution images, but I don't want images that I need to remain legible to become illegible, and this has already happened to me once, I lost information from a picture of a black board because I decided to annotate it.  It is now illegible.  

It sort of defeats the whole purpose for annotating.  Even the annotations get pixelated from loss of resolution after saving.  

• Level 5*

Depending on your available software,  and your current OS it should be possible to save pictures as PDF files,  or convert existing images into PDFs.  Many image editors will save to PDF,  and I can use Acrobat to convert images on my desktop.

Archived