Evernote for Windows 6.4 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

[Edit 11/1: we made a small tweak to 6.4 and updated the version. The link below has been updated below]

Hi everyone,

Excited to announce GA of version 6.4 - you can download it here. As mentioned in our Beta 1 announcement we've updated the default visuals for the sidebar; between Beta 1 and GA we tweaked the default color so that it works better with our Notebook colors. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback on this release. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team! 

A screenshot of the new sidebar color:

Sidebar.PNG

Evernote for Windows 6.4 Release Notes

New:

• Choose a light or dark theme for the sidebar. It’s initially set to dark, but you can change it in Tools>Options>General.

Fixed:

• An issue where occasionally notes were created in notebooks other than what you’d selected.
  • An issue where adding a link to a local file with certain characters like ä, ö, ü, ß did not work.
  • Several crash fixes.

70 replies to this idea

Now when I paste or enter text at the bottom edge of the screen, it will add the text/image properly, but won't scroll to display it.

This is easy to reproduce here just enter "text" (or whatever) in the first line of a new note, and then hold enter. It will quickly pass the edge of the screen, and then the cursor will be invisible. If you press up cursor, it will suddenly scroll to the right position.

This is in Windows 10, 64-bit.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, EdH said:

Look on settings. There is one in there about searching view updating. It isn't worded very well but it will cause the issue you see. The purpose is to NOT refresh search results when you change notes but a current side effect is notebook views don't update either. You have to click out and back in. 

How confusing the English language can be sometimes! That was exactly it (Options/Search/Search when note is updated). I had disabled that to see if it would stop the occasional hangs in the system, but the law of unintended consequences provided an outcome that was much less desirable. Thanks for the pointer!

• Level 5*

Look on settings. There is one in there about searching view updating. It isn't worded very well but it will cause the issue you see. The purpose is to NOT refresh search results when you change notes but a current side effect is notebook views don't update either. You have to click out and back in. 

• Level 5*

I have the latest version at the time of writing: 6.4.2.3788. Small number of notes in a temporary folder. I process them to the permanent folder, but although the folder name changes in the note view, and in the note list view, it does not refresh the screen - OK most of the time, but I am used to the note list review refreshing each time I move a note. Please can we have the "normal" behavior back?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

And to make this extra space close to useless, the smaller view does not allow me to see my tag hierarchy.

Thanks for confirming, I too kept the left panel hidden in previous releases the majority of the time (funny how quickly we (I for one) forget).  The one plus to the new narrow side panel is quick access to saved searches through the magnifying glass.  Kind of like having another 20 items in the shortcuts bar, with one extra click.

• Level 5
54 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I'm not sure, but I think in a previous release you could totally hide the left panel, not so sure now.

You are correct. The previous versions of Evernote allowed me to maximize my content as shown below. 

There is no way to completely hide the Left Panel anymore. I wish they would permit the F10 to open and completely close the Left Panel.

The slender smaller Left Panel takes up space with icons. I could use the space more effectively with my content. Not a killer problem, just frustrating. And to make this extra space close to useless, the smaller view does not allow me to see my tag hierarchy.  With over 1,500 tags, this is useless to me. The search option is crippled. I can do much more with the CTRL Q option.

Vertical Note List.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Asiya said:

I had to sign in and this is what it looks like now.

If you want to hide the left panel as much as possible press F10, or go to View - Left Panel to toggle the view.  I'm not sure, but I think in a previous release you could totally hide the left panel, not so sure now.

From the above it appears you are in card view already.  IAC, the places to go to adjust the view are in the View menu and in the view drop down. screen clip below.  You can drag the separator line to change the width of the note list and note panels.  F11 and Ctrl-F11, respectively, toggle note list and note showing or not.

Also, you might want to edit your previous post and remove the image since your email address is visible.

Image.png

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

What version were you using before the update?  There haven't been a lot of layout changes in a while (the option of a dark side bar being the most recent).  Perhaps some of your view settings have been inadvertently changed?  A screen shot might help.

I installed Evernote on Windows 10 just last week. Till this morning, it didn't have a left panel and had the notebooks and tags as cards. Very basic design. I'm not sure how it changed but when I switched on my laptop, I had to sign in and this is what it looks like now.

7 minutes ago, jefito said:

Sounds like you're not talking about the side panel at all, but instead, the note list. Click on the little button at the top left of the panel abobre your note list: you can set note list style (e.g. Card View) and sorting (e.g. Sort Notes by Updated Date) there.

Got it but only a part of what I was looking for. See, the right side where we preview the Note used to hold tag cards instead. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Asiya said:

Sadly not. What I was looking for was just a card view of the notes and the tags in a chronological order (a minimalist view). While Left Panel does look better, the order I mentioned made it much easier to navigate and helped me to be efficient. This is slowing me down unfortunately.

Sounds like you're not talking about the side panel at all, but instead, the note list. Click on the little button at the top left of the panel abobre your note list: you can set note list style (e.g. Card View) and sorting (e.g. Sort Notes by Updated Date) there.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Asiya said:

I wasn't happy with the layout of the latest update.

What version were you using before the update?  There haven't been a lot of layout changes in a while (the option of a dark side bar being the most recent).  Perhaps some of your view settings have been inadvertently changed?  A screen shot might help.

4 minutes ago, jefito said:

Does View / Left Panel (also triggered via F10) do what you want?

Hi,

Sadly not. What I was looking for was just a card view of the notes and the tags in a chronological order (a minimalist view). While Left Panel does look better, the order I mentioned made it much easier to navigate and helped me to be efficient. This is slowing me down unfortunately.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Asiya said:

I liked the simplicity of the previous design with the notebooks and tags as buttons. Is there any way we can opt for that?

Does View / Left Panel (also triggered via F10) do what you want?

I wasn't happy with the layout of the latest update. Particularly how the notebooks and tags are hidden and the notes are right in front. It's a bit cluttered. I liked the simplicity of the previous design with the notebooks and tags as buttons. Is there any way we can opt for that?

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Just updated to 6.4.2.3788  in Windows 10 AE - installer removed 'old' Evernote and then seemed to hang.  No app installed after it finished.  Downloaded the app from Evernote.com and installed again,  everything appears to have worked fine...  heart rate almost back to normal now....   :huh:

This happened for me as well for the first time.

• Level 5*

All I'd say is - if you want to move the database yourself,  make sure Evernote is closed before you start.  And if you're upgrading Evernote,  read the pop-up messages - they might just say: "I'm about to move the database..."  which you can overrride.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, duri said:

New notebook shortcut is CTR+ALT+N.

Tools / Options / Shortcut keys / Global Shortcut keys will allow you to change the shortcut key for the Create New Note operation. People who don't want to check options, well, they suffer in the real world.

Thank you very much for all your feedback. I must admit: I was probably a little bit too harsh about some issues.

15 hours ago, gustavgi said:

I am not sure if you mean any special type of search, but there are plenty of ways to search for notebooks (and stacks) by name.

Yes, indeed. I didn't know those shortcuts. I also find out, that editing hyperlink is quite easy using mouse right click, it would be great if it was possible to edit name too (like in web version), but all in all its quite fine.

By the way: there's small but extremely annoying problem in Evernote:

New notebook shortcut is CTR+ALT+N. Maybe Evernote stuff should take under consideration changing it. Well, especially in Polish version. The same shortcut is assigned to letter in polish alphabet ("ń"), so if user has a polish keyboard and Evernote is opened (or working in background) there's a conflict (you cannot write this letter). It's possible to change it of course, but I know at least one person who abandoned Evernote because of this issue (not a heavy user, dont want to check options...).

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  

I assume you're using the Windows desktop client,  and in my current beta 6.5.2 the hyperlink options are under the top Format menu.  Click in the note body to select a location,  or highlight a word or phrase.  Ctrl+K to add a hyperlink.  The link is inserted,  or the word or phrase converted into a link.

I don't follow the need to search for a notebook name.  Many users have minimal numbers of notebooks,  so can see and choose the name in the left panel.  Where there are more notebooks than can comfortably be seen in one view,  Stacks can provide useful category splits.  There is an overall limit of 250 notebooks anyway and they're sorted alphabetically so create their own lookup table.  In 8 years I've never had to search for a notebook name other than visually.

Since tags and notebooks are in the same left panel (and shortcuts for some), i think those combined quickly fill the screen estate. Which means that if you have 50+ tags and while you are browsing them you want to jump quickly to a notebook, it's usuallly faster to do a search than to scroll, locate and click.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, duri said:

Additionally I cannot find in Evernote an option to search notebook by name (there is such possibility in web version, although it didn't find notebook stacks, in my opinion it should)
In older versions of Evernote, clicking any letter in notebook panel bring me immediately to first notebook matching it. It was useful. Currently there's no option to fast search / move to / choose notebook in Windows version. Notebook must be selected manually.

I am not sure if you mean any special type of search, but there are plenty of ways to search for notebooks (and stacks) by name.

1. Alt+F1
2. The magnifying glass on the far right of the left panel when you mouse hoover over "Notebooks"
3. Make sure "Search information" is displayed (check "Search information" in the View menu, or Ctrl+F10)
4. Ctrl+Q (or View+Quick seach (this one won't let you search for stacks)

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, duri said:

Additionally I cannot find in Evernote an option to search notebook by name (there is such possibility in web version, although it didn't find notebook stacks, in my opinion it should)

make sure that the menu item View / Show Search Information is checked.

At the top of your note list, you will see a prompt that says "Viewing xxxx notes in [All Notebooks]"; the [All Notebooks] is a dropdown menu that lets you select a notebook to filter on.

• Level 5*

Hi.  

9 hours ago, duri said:

Other problems with hyperlinks:

I assume you're using the Windows desktop client,  and in my current beta 6.5.2 the hyperlink options are under the top Format menu.  Click in the note body to select a location,  or highlight a word or phrase.  Ctrl+K to add a hyperlink.  The link is inserted,  or the word or phrase converted into a link.

I don't follow the need to search for a notebook name.  Many users have minimal numbers of notebooks,  so can see and choose the name in the left panel.  Where there are more notebooks than can comfortably be seen in one view,  Stacks can provide useful category splits.  There is an overall limit of 250 notebooks anyway and they're sorted alphabetically so create their own lookup table.  In 8 years I've never had to search for a notebook name other than visually.

Hyperlinks

Ive got some issues and feature requests related to hyperlinks.

First of all there's an error or bug while editing hyperlink. @gustavgi was reporting it in the past. To clarify:

For example, I'm creating a hyperlink under name "site" in brackets, so I select "site" then hit CTRL+K and paste URL, lets say http://example.com/ As a result I get [link]. But when I want to edit hyperlink (CTRL+ SHIFT + K) and changing URL to for example http://example.org the result looks like that [http://example.org/].

When do you fix it?!

Other problems with hyperlinks:

• no add hyperlink in editing toolbar. It was visible in previous versions. Now there's only CTRL+K shortcut and format menu (pic attached
  • no way to preview address (URL) of hyperlink (like in Firefox, when you hover over a link, there's a preview in the bottom right corner). It would be a great feature!
  • no way to easily edit hyperlink. You need to select it manually and then use CTR+SHIFT+K shortcut. In web version of Evernote, when you hover over hyperlink, there's a bubble to edit it, and its super convenient.

In older versions of Evernote, clicking any letter in notebook panel bring me immediately to first notebook matching it. It was useful. Currently there's no option to fast search / move to / choose notebook in Windows version. Notebook must be selected manually.

edit_toolbar.jpg

Please add ink/touchscreen handwriting functionality to the Windows desktop version.  It is nice that the deck-chairs have been reorganised and their colours updated - however this is functionality that has been across the rest of the EN platforms for years - please add it to the desktop version!

• Level 5*

Just updated to 6.4.2.3788  in Windows 10 AE - installer removed 'old' Evernote and then seemed to hang.  No app installed after it finished.  Downloaded the app from Evernote.com and installed again,  everything appears to have worked fine...  heart rate almost back to normal now....   :huh:

Bug #3 for me:

The update to 6.4.2.3788 process was less than ideal.

1. It mishandled the Evernote shortcut on my taskbar, abandoning it and leaving a blank, useless shortcut.  Deleted that shortcut and dragged the irritating new shortcut the update left on my desktop by the update process to the taskbar.  (I've never seen this sloppy behavior in other program updates.)

2.  The update moved the local user files from my (large) drive D: to the user area on drive C:. Drive C: on this system is a smallish SSD so I only keep programs there.  The bug: so when I attempted to move the user files back to drive D: (using Tools/Options/General/Evernote local files), it errored out on one file: "myusername.exb.related" "because the file is open in Evernote".  Strangely, subsequently File Manager showed the file was in the new location, however.

2a.  The move process leaves the trail of local user files in the old location without saying so.  Obviously the move would be counter-productive to saving space on my SSD.

Evernote6-4_change_file_location_error_20161201.jpg

16 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

While I'm on the printing bug... does anyone else have problems with printing check box lists?

For several versions, the check box prints more than a half-row up from the line of text where it belongs.  The check boxes might just as well be eye-candy since they serve no check box function in that print layout.

It's just one of the symptoms of EN's dreadful print rendering. It's been broken for years and there's no reason to believe it'll ever be fixed.

While I'm on the printing bug... does anyone else have problems with printing check box lists?

For several versions, the check box prints more than a half-row up from the line of text where it belongs.  The check boxes might just as well be eye-candy since they serve no check box function in that print layout.

(Windows 10... and Windows 7 before that + a bullet proof with other apps Brother MFC-8680DN)

• Level 5*

'Nother Windows Desktop mini-bug here - to replicate: 

• Click and hold on a Shortcut;  it turns into an Elephant icon. 
  • Move the item up and down slightly but bring it back to the same place - we're not changing its position.
  • The activity stops that item being a shortcut.  It disappears back to the saved searches list if it came from there..

Expected behaviour:  shortcut should stay in place,  not disappear...

On 11.11.2016 at 07:47, D.Konovalenko said:

Ребят. Добавьте в Evernote для Windows функцию "Сбросить форматирование". Она есть в web версии, скриншот: http://prntscr.com/d5svii

Очень жду ее. Спасибо.

Правой кнопкой мыши -> Убрать форматирование

• Level 5*

On the topic of the left panel, it would be nice to be able to right-click on it to interact with it (enable, disable, set theme, etc.). This might make its functions a little more discoverable.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Could you elaborate? In my 6.4 beta and 6.4.2 GA version, the only notebooks/tags that are in white are the ones where I have previously added a style (bold, italics) but not changed the color. These will also show up as white text in Ctrl+Q and Tag/Notebook picker, making them unreadable on the white background.

For me, all default names are in white except for local notebooks which are light gray.  Maybe the white is just a lighter gray but it is definitely lighter than what is used for local notebooks and the style pallet does not include this lighter color.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

That's fine but a white option should be provided on the palet so we can change it if desired.

I'm of the opinion that the palette is too small as it is. Sure, provide a preset small number of colors if you want, but offer a way to escape to the wider world of arbitrary colors.

As a matter of curiosity, is anyone using a Strikeout style??

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@s2sailor the notebooks that are light grey may be local notebooks. Can you right click the notebook and check properties, to verify?

Yes, they are local notebooks.  In the left hand pane, shortcuts, tags, sync'd notebooks and stacks show up in white and if I were to change one of these and then select the default style, the default style turns them back to white.  For the local notebooks the default style appears to be light gray.  I am unable to change those to white.  I tried creating a new local notebook and the light gray for local notebooks does appear to be a design decision done to help discriminate from sync'd notebooks.  That's fine but a white option should be provided on the palet so we can change it if desired.

• Level 5*

Not sure whether this is an old weirdness or something new to this release: I accidentally clicked in the Ctrl+N, and it created a new note (as expected). So I then tried to delete it: the Del key didn't work, and when I right clicked on its entry in the note list, no "Move note to Trash" entry was on the context menu. Tried syncing, but I still couldn't delete it.As far as I can tell, the only way to delete it is to change to a different notebook, and return.

Not a major issue by any means, just a little surprising.

• Level 5*

Cursor is still not remembering its position when you switch apps.

1. Create new note
  2. type a few characters or words in the note title
  3. ALT-Tab to switch to another app
  4. Alt-Tab to switch back to Evernote.
  5. The cursor is at he beginning of the title, not the end.

It works fine in the note body.

en20161021bug1

I'm very unhappy with the change in the color in the sidebar. The contrast between the notebooks I shared with others (blue) and the background is not high enough, those are very hard to read. The notebooks that others shared with me are in this screaming red color. The contrast between the white letters and the dark background is a little too high. The entire sidebar is so unpleasant to my eyes that I don't want to keep it shown all the time any more.

Evernote for Windows does not have any way for the user to play with these settings. I would suggest you either be very conservative with this kind of changes, or you add a feature where users can change the theme, and keep a "Classic" theme in there unchanged.

I'm using Evernote for its functionality, and have been for years. I don't need to be visually stunned. I don't want to be surprised. Just keep things as they are and let us do work with no distractions.

4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

This version still has the issue where some notebook names show up in light grey as the default color instead of white and with no way to change to white.  This issue doesn't occur with new notebooks so a work around would be to create new notebooks and copy the notes over into the new notebooks but this problem doesn't bother me enough to go through that.

@s2sailor the notebooks that are light grey may be local notebooks. Can you right click the notebook and check properties, to verify?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@pepr will send you a private message to understand how/ when you're hitting this issue. 

When you right click an existing hyperlink with a custom name, to edit it by changing the target-URL of the hyperlink, it will also replace the text (custom name) with the actual hyperlink.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

This version still has the issue where some notebook names show up in light grey as the default color instead of white and with no way to change to white.  This issue doesn't occur with new notebooks so a work around would be to create new notebooks and copy the notes over into the new notebooks but this problem doesn't bother me enough to go through that.

Could you elaborate? In my 6.4 beta and 6.4.2 GA version, the only notebooks/tags that are in white are the ones where I have previously added a style (bold, italics) but not changed the color. These will also show up as white text in Ctrl+Q and Tag/Notebook picker, making them unreadable on the white background.

To change them to the default light-light grey I have to change the color to "default" for these, which will also make them black in Ctrl+Q/Pickers.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, pfm1040 said:

Since when are "Black/White" colors?

For some senses of the words, since forever. Googling "is black a color" turned up: http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors

But since you pressed the point, the dark sidebar color isn't exactly black, it's a dark green-blue gray: R:32 G:46 B:59.

That being said, more options would be nice; I think they're just trying to keep things simple.

I like the dark side bar, but why stop there, make the menu and toolbar similarly dark.  And allow users to set different colours for the index and content panels depending which one has keyboard focus - e.g. #ADD8E6 if panel has keyboard focus, otherwise #CCCCFF.  They should tone quite well with the midnight blue sidebar.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Styles are syncing between machines (poorly) and I have a hard time understanding why else syncing would cause hangs even when there are no note changes.

Ah, I see; that's not part of my setup (two machines with separate accounts, sharing notebooks); I don't think that styles sync in that scenario. If that's the case, then maybe they are connected, but the style info appears to be a part of the tag and notebook.objects, so I don't know why that would be special...

1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Is there any way to quickly remove all styles or somehow use the search function to find tags with styles? Mine are buried too deep in the nest to do manual browsing.

No way that I know of, you can see them in the notebook list and the tag list and tag view pane if they're colored differently, as you probably know already, but that's not easy to isolate the ones you want.

Oh, wait:  if you use a SQLite browser, I think that you can identify tags with styles: in the tag_attr table, look for the item_color and item_style columns, and sort on one of them. Tags with item_color that's non-NULL should be the ones you're looking for. Notebooks also have these columns, for the same purpose, as far as I can tell. I haven't found saved searches yet...

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Yeah but does it also hang for you when it starts to sync? I've had/have problems with evernote not responding for some time, when accessing the database on searches and such. That I can live with since it's a resource demanding task.

But I've always had automatic sync on every 5 minutes with no problems and now I had to turn that off completely on both machines because it hangs while I'm in the middle of reading a note. And even though I haven't made any changes, the sync progress will still sync for minutes at times and instantly other times..

Yup. It hangs at the most random times. It is so bad sometimes I just launch Evernote in my browser and edit notes there so the client on my PC can do its thing. I've turned off background sync, automatic sync, etc. None of it helps much.

It started for me a few years ago when they enabled the code that tries to lock notes so you avoid editing the note in two places at once and getting a conflict. Not an issue for single user, but when you share notebooks, that is useful. But, it seems to be the genesis of when my app got super sluggish and wins the daily "Not Responding" award from my PC.

• Level 5*

@gustavgi

Anything in the activity log of merit when you get a hang?  Have you tried Ctrl-Help and Optimize data base?

One thing I have seen that causes a longer sync is when I make a mass change, typical tag related, with instant sync enabled.  So I disable instant sync when doing any mass tag changes and the sync is fast.  Doesn't sound like your issue though. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, EdH said:

It is hanging and you have to kill it, or hanging and Evernote becomes "not responding" for a few seconds to a minute or two? If the latter, welcome to the club. Been doing that with me for 4+ years, and fresh installs and fresh downloads of my data does nothing, nor does installing it on fast machines with SSDs.

Yeah but does it also hang for you when it starts to sync? I've had/have problems with evernote not responding for some time, when accessing the database on searches and such. That I can live with since it's a resource demanding task.

But I've always had automatic sync on every 5 minutes with no problems and now I had to turn that off completely on both machines because it hangs while I'm in the middle of reading a note. And even though I haven't made any changes, the sync progress will still sync for minutes at times and instantly other times..

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Styles are syncing between machines (poorly) and I have a hard time understanding why else syncing would cause hangs even when there are no note changes.

Is there any way to quickly remove all styles or somehow use the search function to find tags with styles? Mine are buried too deep in the nest to do manual browsing.

It is hanging and you have to kill it, or hanging and Evernote becomes "not responding" for a few seconds to a minute or two? If the latter, welcome to the club. Been doing that with me for 4+ years, and fresh installs and fresh downloads of my data does nothing, nor does installing it on fast machines with SSDs.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

No hangs on either of the two machines I have this version on.

It would surprise me greatly if syncing had anything at all to do with visual theming...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

No hangs on either of the two machines I have this version on.

It would surprise me greatly if syncing had anything at all to do with visual theming...

• Level 5*

In the latest versions Evernote hangs on regular sync every time now on two different machines. I tried doing a resync of the entire database on one of them, but got the same problem.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

I cant help but think that it is in some way related to Styles for some reason.

• Level 5*
On 10/29/2016 at 8:12 AM, BDD said:

I'm very unhappy with the change in the color in the sidebar. The contrast between the notebooks I shared with others (blue) and the background is not high enough, those are very hard to read. The notebooks that others shared with me are in this screaming red color. The contrast between the white letters and the dark background is a little too high. The entire sidebar is so unpleasant to my eyes that I don't want to keep it shown all the time any more.

Evernote for Windows does not have any way for the user to play with these settings. I would suggest you either be very conservative with this kind of changes, or you add a feature where users can change the theme, and keep a "Classic" theme in there unchanged.

I'm using Evernote for its functionality, and have been for years. I don't need to be visually stunned. I don't want to be surprised. Just keep things as they are and let us do work with no distractions.

Go to Tools|Options|General and change the sidebar theme to light. 

Archived