Editting seems clunky in Evernote

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise on a Surface Pro and using web-based Evernote Basic.  I have a number of lists in several categories.  When I try to edit the lists I'll place the cursor where I want to begin editing and when I click the list will disappear momentarily and then slowly, but surely reload.  Then, there is about a half-second of latency as I work on the edits.  Secondly, I've tried to drag and drop items from one list to another using the keyboard shortcuts available with Windows and they simply don't work.  I generally like the program and the security, but the inability to manipulate my info in the program is annoying.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

It's not expected behaviour - do you have a good internet connection?  The web-based app is saving changes back to the web server,  so a slow / intermittent connection would cause issues,  as could a work firewall if you're communicating from behind one.

On 10/26/2016 at 3:39 PM, jleachesq said:

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise on a Surface Pro and using web-based Evernote Basic.  I have a number of lists in several categories.  When I try to edit the lists I'll place the cursor where I want to begin editing and when I click the list will disappear momentarily and then slowly, but surely reload.  Then, there is about a half-second of latency as I work on the edits.  Secondly, I've tried to drag and drop items from one list to another using the keyboard shortcuts available with Windows and they simply don't work.  I generally like the program and the security, but the inability to manipulate my info in the program is annoying.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the editor has many bugs and these bugs date back many years as you can confirm for yourself if you search these forums. Random cursor leaps, random font size changes, content jumping around tables, broken undo, broken printing, all kinds of weirdness in pasting, etc. are all daily experiences if you use Evernote a lot, as I do.

Sadly, after years of promising higher quality and a better editor (I'm sure there were similar quality announcements and bug fix announcements before those), they still suffer random data loss, feature bloat, and, saddest of all, all the exact same formatting bugs that Evernote users have suffered for 6+ years.

If you need good text formatting, my suggestion is simple: Don't use Evernote. Use a different note-taking program instead. David Pogue switched to Apple Notes. Sadly, I'll be switching to OneNote at the beginning of 2017 unless Evernote fixes its editor bugs.

I am not optimistic.

Evernote employees no longer respond to my posts or threads, but in case any of them ever change their mind and read this and decide to respond, please know that I am listening to see if anyone has another perspective. I am searching for reasons to believe that Evernote's formatting will be at least tolerable. I'm searching for reasons to stay with Evernote because the basic idea of the program is so good.

• Level 5*

...Aaaaand I'l repeat my comment -

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's not expected behaviour

Despite the doom and gloom predictions,  Evernote works reasonably well for me,  and there's no reason why it shouldn't do the same for you.

On 10/28/2016 at 5:25 PM, gazumped said:

...Aaaaand I'l repeat my comment -

Despite the doom and gloom predictions,  Evernote works reasonably well for me,  and there's no reason why it shouldn't do the same for you.

There are many people for whom Evernote does not work reasonably well, especially if they're doing a lot of text formatting. That's why people like David Pogue left Evernote.

The OP says that "manipulating my info" is important... suggesting that Evernote's many formatting bugs make Evernote a poor fit.

I gave Evernote a Dec 31 deadline to fix their Everbugs before I switch away to another note-taking program. I've experimented a little with OneNote and so far I'm not a huge fan. I've been experimenting with Simplenote, too, and it's going well, though it is quite bare bones. Have you tried it?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

manipulating my info

-That's in the context of having

On 26/10/2016 at 11:39 PM, jleachesq said:

a number of lists in several categories

- Which is an area that we know Evernote has been actively working on with the new 'common editor' which has only just been introduced to the last of the main product streams.  Now they're in a position to fix something once,  rather than several times in different OS's,  I have every hope things will improve.  Meantime I work on the basis that I want to get things done,  not spend hours working out the best software to use.  As long as Evernote continues to work well enough for my needs (and I have a ton of lists in Workflowy) I'll stick with it.

I looked at Simplenote,  but without knowing what limits there are for uploads,  note sizes,  total notes etc I wouldn't swop.  Kudos to them for going open source,  but that means you'll probably get a slew of one-man developers adding overlapping new bells and whistles of unknown reliability to suit their own processes.  I don't need another learning curve thanks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

I've been experimenting with Simplenote, too, and it's going well, though it is quite bare bones. Have you tried it?

I've looked at Simplenote and as you say, it is quite bare bones

From your postings, I would have thought you were looking for extensive editing and formatting features.
How is it possible that you'd be happy with basically no editing or formatting

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I've looked at Simplenote and as you say, it is quite bare bones

From your postings, I would have thought you were looking for extensive editing and formatting features.
How is it possible that you'd be happy with basically no editing or formatting

Simplenote for Windows 10 has markdown. It's a pain to use as there does not appear to be a WYSIWYG version of it, but the main formatting features I need - tables, hierarchical lists, headers, bold/italic - seem to just work

There are no cursor leaps, undo and backspace just work, font sizes are predictable, etc.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

-That's in the context of having [complex lists]

- Which is an area that we know Evernote has been actively working on with the new 'common editor' which has only just been introduced to the last of the main product streams.  Now they're in a position to fix something once,  rather than several times in different OS's,  I have every hope things will improve...

And I am holding onto hope as well until Dec 31, 2016. Then, my patience will have run out on failing undo and backspace and I'll be migrating away from Evernote until the basic bugs are fixed.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

... I looked at Simplenote,  but without knowing what limits there are for uploads,  note sizes,  total notes etc I wouldn't swop.  Kudos to them for going open source,  but that means you'll probably get a slew of one-man developers adding overlapping new bells and whistles of unknown reliability to suit their own processes.  I don't need another learning curve thanks!

This is all true. I will have to look into this. If there are a lot of potential problems with Simplenote, I'll take a look at Nimbusnote. If that doesn't work, it will be Google Drive/Docs for me, I think.

Archived