How to get PDFs into notes?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

Is there a way to get a PDF doc that arrives as an email attachment directly into EN with the clipper… or by dragging it into a new note?

What platform are you using?

My  process on my Mac would be to drag into a note, or my  import folder

I'm on a Mac.  I had tried to do that (drag into a note) but the PDF attachment's icon wasn't selectable, so not draggable either.

That was in Yahoo! Mail. I don't know whether Google Mail or other webmail offer that capability.

I haven't worked with import folders. Do they import the 'content' directly from a PDF without first having to open it in another app?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mkraft77 said:

I'm on a Mac.  I had tried to do that (drag into a note) but the PDF attachment's icon wasn't selectable, so not draggable either.

That was in Yahoo! Mail. I don't know whether Google Mail or other webmail offer that capability.

I haven't worked with import folders. Do they import the 'content' directly from a PDF without first having to open it in another app?

I'm on a Mac too

I use the Apple Mail app, with Apple and Gmail accounts
No problem exporting pdfs from my mail

On the Mac, we have to process our Import folders with Applescript
The command is    tell application "Evernote" to create note from file new_file   
No other applications need to be opened

Thanks.  Do you mean that Gmail exports email attachments by itself, or that it still needs Apple Mail (which I don't use ) for that?

If so, can it be done just via drag-&-drop of the attachment into an EN note -- i.e., by selecting it with the mouse in GMail and dragging it into EN?

Re: import folder, so AppleScript is needed?  That's something else I don't use and I doubt I'll find the time to learn it.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

Thanks.  Do you mean that Gmail exports email attachments by itself, or that it still needs Apple Mail (which I don't use ) for that?

If so, can it be done just via drag-&-drop of the attachment into an EN note -- i.e., by selecting it with the mouse in GMail and dragging it into EN?

Re: import folder, so AppleScript is needed?  That's something else I don't use and I doubt I'll find the time to learn it.

I can't speak to Gmail app
Just to be clear, there are two aspects - the service and the app

For the import folder, it's platform dependent
- for Windows; all you have to do is set up a folder and let Evernote know to watch it
- for Mac, its driven by the folder (folder actions) and yes, you need AppleScript 
Without using an import folder, I can drag pdf files into a note or on top of the Taskbar Evernote Icon

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I can't speak to Gmail app
Just to be clear, there are two aspects - the service and the app

For the import folder, it's platform dependent
- for Windows; all you have to do is set up a folder and let Evernote know to watch it
- for Mac, its driven by the folder (folder actions) and yes, you need AppleScript 
Without using an import folder, I can drag pdf files into a note or on top of the Taskbar Evernote Icon

Thanks.  Re: Gmail, I was referencing your prior statement ("I use the Apple Mail app, with Apple and Gmail accounts. No problem exporting pdfs from my mail.").  I meant Gmail as it's used by most users (I don't know whether that's considered a 'service' or an 'app').

Re: drag-&-drop without an import folder, I assume you mean you can do it from Apple Mail, which may offer that. I'll have to look into whether Gmail can do it.  As mentioned, I couldn't 'select' an email attachment in Yahoo! Mail. I think it may have been an 'image' file rather than a PDF but don't see why the behavior would be any different re: drag-&-drop since EN supports drag-&-drop for both.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mkraft77 said:

I meant Gmail as it's used by most users (I don't know whether that's considered a 'service' or an 'app').

How about this.  You use Safari web browser and go to www.gmail.com or www.yahoo.com and view your mail

We really need one of those users here, but I can tell you you don't have the pdf,
it's sitting at the gmail/yahoo service.  You are viewing a web page

You have to download the pdf to your computer before you can insert it into a note

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You have to download the pdf to your computer before you can insert it into a note

OK, thanks again.  The analogy for me was:  Until recently, if you wanted to insert an image in a tweet, you had to download it to your device first, then upload it into the tweet. Then it became possible to just copy-&-paste the image from the webpage where you first viewed it, eliminating the need to save it locally first.

So I thought, why then would you not be able to do the same thing with an EN note -- i.e., eliminate the intermediate download/upload stage.

It would not concern me whether I was getting the image to where I wanted it -- in an EN note -- from my computer's hard drive or from 'the cloud,' etc.

But it seems that EN isn't equipped to do that (unless PDFs are a special case and always have to be saved locally before being copied/moved to another location, whereas photos/images don't -- i.e., they can just be copied into a clipboard/buffer and pasted from there).

Archived