How do I remove a code block and/or create a new line of text outside/after the code block?

After half an hour, I had to right-click and inspect, then find the proper line in that view and delete it from there. I'm not that kind of savvy with code and I don't want to have to go in there again. I'm sure there's a way to do that organically like any other formatting. I also want to be able to skip a line and type text outside a code block. Ideas? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  What's your OS?  The easy trick to typing after a code block is to hit ENTER a couple of times,  then go back up a line or two to start the code block.  Then you'll have space afterward to add more lines.

• Level 5*

As I said - the way to add lines after a table or a code block is to add them before you format the space above.  Press ENTER in the note a few times,  then move back up a few lines and insert the block there.  The blank lines you created earlier will still exist and be pushed down by the formatting that is inserted into the note.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce this issue and reported it to our development team to fix. In the meantime, it looks like the workaround @gazumped offered is a good option or temporarily disabling the code block (by clicking the code block icon on the toolbar) adding a line and then re-enabling code block.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 11/17/2016 at 5:15 PM, kgg said:

Thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce this issue and reported it to our development team to fix. In the meantime, it looks like the workaround @gazumped offered is a good option or temporarily disabling the code block (by clicking the code block icon on the toolbar) adding a line and then re-enabling code block.

Any update on this?  I am still experiencing the issue.

• 5 months later...
On 11/17/2016 at 11:15 PM, kgg said:

We are now 2018, I must assume the development team has already discarded this ticket? Not really what I would expect from a service as big as Evernote to have users do 'workarounds' for this. Hoping this will shed some light on the matter! 

(Might be unrelated, so I am gonna make a new thread about this, but the button for adding code blocks disappeared on me today.)
(Also when on latest firefox - w7, the texteditor does not open when you want to reply to a thread. Only the attachements input pops up.)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Level 5

Don’t understand the problem:

When I insert a code block and write into it, it does format it as code-as expected

When I want to continue in normal text, I simply click below the code block. The cursor is placed there, and I can start typing in standard format setting

If I want to remove a code block, I select and delete it.

If I want to convert the content into standard text, I put the cursor into the code block and select from the + menu the code block option again. This converts the code block into standard text.

Everything works smoothly, and pretty intuitively. Maybe you should switch over to the new editor, in case you are still using the old version.

• 11 months later...

I somehow understand why it seems everybody has given up onto this...

No, it does not work smoothly, like so much here with formating.

Steps to reproduce:

- open a table

- click into the first cell and add a codeblock 

- a new codeblock is create with 2 empty lines before (anyone can explain me why those are there? Nvm, i can delete them...)

- now try to insert something in this cell beneath this codebox

- if u found a way (intuitively or not), please let me know :)

PS: It gets even better :) So I tried out the tip to make some empty lines and insert the codebox before. Yes, now I have lines beneath it. But now, I cannot find a way to bring the codebox at the top. It seems like the first empty line cannot be removed 😂

Steps to reproduce:

- open a table

- click in the first cell, press enter for one new line, go back to the first line and add a codeblock

- a new codeblock is created, again with (u guessed it!) 2 empty lines before. 

- now try to remove those 2 empty lines so that the codebox is on top of the cell

- if u go on the first of the 2 new lines and hit delete, the first line is deleted. If u hit it again, the second line dissapears together with the codebox!

- if you go at the start of the codebox and press backspace, it does not delete the line before the box, but puts the first line out of the codebox

Really ridiculous... but yes, everything works smoothly, and pretty intuitively :)

And one more edit: Seems like I did not read the tip mentioned earlier correctly. So yes, it works. By dissabling the codebox and reenabling it, i can remoive the leading lines and create new lines behind. Thanks for this tip again. A fix would still be nice...

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Kaffetrinken said:

A fix would still be nice...

Hi.  As @PinkElephant said nearly a year ago: (that's how busy this thread has been)

On 5/31/2021 at 9:09 PM, PinkElephant said:

Don’t understand the problem:

If you create a code block you get a window with a couple of empty lines so that you can type your code inside that window.

To type in 'normal' text afterward,  just type below the code block

To resume quoting code,  add another block

To extend the code you have,  got o the end of the previous code and hit keep typing.

I don't understand why this is difficult....  and AFAICS there isn't anything to fix.

Are u kidding me? I even took the extra time to give u detailed steps for reproducing the issue. And it looks like u did not even read it? 

Yes, it has been a year already, and those bugs still exist. And when I read those comments from you and collagues, I can easily understand that those threads just die out. 

So please, if u do not only want to talk big, use 2 minutes of your precious time and follow those steps that I gave u. And then write again.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Kaffetrinken said:

and those bugs still exist.

No bugs involved.  I did scan through your note and wonder why you were making such a big deal of something that works fine for me - and then I noticed one short line I missed...

1 hour ago, Kaffetrinken said:

- open a table

Many things don't work so well inside a table,  and it's quite possible that code blocks is one of them.  Maybe type your code outside the table cell?

The reason this hasn't been 'fixed' in over a year is that no-one else raised the issue so it's hardly going to be something that Evernote spends a lot of time investigating unless / until there's more interest.  You could raise the need for code blocks in table cells as a feature request,  or as a bug by contacting Evernote Support which,  by the way, we're not.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Kaffetrinken said:

Are u kidding me? I even took the extra time to give u detailed steps for reproducing the issue. And it looks like u did not even read it? 

I would like to ask you to check your wording.

We in the forum* are other users, dedicating a part of our time to help fellow users. We are not kidding you - and at least I expect a certain level of mutual respect in exchange.

(*) EN employees carry a „Staff“ designation in their forum badges. This does not mean they can be treated without respect either …

Isnt posting in this forum the right way to report an error or bug? If it is the right way, and somebody posts a bug and even makes the effort of explicitly describing the way to reproduce it, anybody who answers those posts should probably at least bring up the time to read it properly and follow those steps before. Otherwise it would be better to not comment on this, and leave it open for the real team to take it up. Yes, it was not the nicest reply, but I really felt myself offended by that reply...

• Evernote Expert

No, if you want to report a bug you should open a support ticket which is only available to subscribers.

These forums are intended to provide peer support. So we'll do what we can to find solutions or work arounds but, as you might imagine, don't take too kindly to entitlement, rudeness or aggression. (Not saying that was your approach).

For sure, telling us that 'you' need to do something misses the peer nature of the support in these forums.

• Level 5
44 minutes ago, Kaffetrinken said:

... Otherwise it would be better to not comment on this, and leave it open for the real team to take it up. ...

There is no "real team" in the forum. We forum users provide peer support. If we think it is adequate (especially if a bug can be reproduced and affects the community) we sometimes report it by issuing a support ticket ourselves.

The "real team" is working for support, and since they need to get paid, you can reach them based on a subscription you pay.

Now you know the rules and can decide about how you want to proceed.

Ok, i was not aware of that, I thought this forum was even part of the paid service offered by evernote. So i appologize for beeing a bit rude here, in this case there is of course no claim on this kind of support.

• Like 2