Hide notes

Bienne

Idea

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Ask your administrator to create a tag which will allow you to identify the notes you don't need to see,  and search "-tag:<unique_tag>" (without the quotes) for a list of all notes you do need to see,  or "<search term(s)> -tag:<unique_tag>" to find specific items but not those notes.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Bienne said:

If I am not the administrator of a notebook

..Confused me.  I'm easily confused.  OK,  so give that person a tag and allow them to apply the tag to whatever notes they choose.  They can exclude notes from their general view,  or specific searches as described.

That's one way around it I suppose. Only my users are mostly senior citizens with very low PC literacy. And they wouldn't even know what a tag was, let alone how to add one. 

I could, however, show them how to right-click and hide note, if that were available. :-) 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Not so easy.  There's no 'hide' notes.  Can you give a quick outline of what your database includes and how it's shared?  The only idea I have - which is very much like my initial suggestion - would be for you to either:

Share more than one notebook,  with the various notebooks segmented into areas of interest - medical / financial / entertainment etc - so that users can have a choice which to subscribe to.

Or:  to set up tags yourself with similar labels and create saved searches which users can access

Or: create a 'home page' - one note,  the public link for which which you circulate to everyone.  That note contains the public URLs (obtained via Share) of more pages,  to which users can click through depending on their area of interest (see medical etc as above).  Those pages list the public URLs of all your notes in each area.

-Those are all variations on the same theme really - you're segmenting your content so that users can zero in on what interests them,  rather than browse through the whole database.  If you use a link-shrinking service like Bitly - https://bitly.is/2eCGUwq - you'll be able to get some stats on which links get more clicks than others,  and maybe shape your content more to what your users like.  Your users won't see the bare URLs because you can create proper web links in your 'index' notes like this:  Latest News.  (Which just goes to Bitly.)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bienne said:

If I am not the administrator of a notebook, how can I hide notes which I might not need to view? 

Could there not be a right-click select hide note? 

As per @gazumped - There is no "hide note" feature in Evernote

I use a tag (!Archive) so I can exclude notes from searches

If I really want hide a notes, I would open a new account and store the notes there.

Sorry, I thought I was posting under feedback and feature request. 

I'm not looking to tag more than I already do as an administrator. I cannot tag "archive" or "hide" or anything else; it's up to those users

I share the notebook with to do so. I'm looking to suggest adding this hide feature to make it easier for those with less knowledge of PC use, 

without them having to create a new folder, tag , (let alone open a new account). 

Thanks anyway.  Is there a direct support link I can use to suggest to Evernote webmasters this feature? 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Bienne said:

Sorry, I thought I was posting under feedback and feature request. 

I'm not looking to tag more than I already do as an administrator. I cannot tag "archive" or "hide" or anything else; it's up to those users

I share the notebook with to do so. I'm looking to suggest adding this hide feature to make it easier for those with less knowledge of PC use, 

without them having to create a new folder, tag , (let alone open a new account). 

Thanks anyway.  Is there a direct support link I can use to suggest to Evernote webmasters this feature? 

You're posting in the feedback forum

Its the web forum; do  you want me to move the discussion to the general forum.  It seems a system-wide request

Its the right place for requests.  Note the voting buttons in the upper left corner.

This seems a complex discussion relative to a request for a simple capability. The capability to hide a note. Go to iPhoto. Click a photo. Right click. Hide. In the menus there is "show hidden photos."

I don't want to have to have a whole 'nother desk just to have a drawer to put private stuff in, so co-workers sitting with me don't see them. 

Please just give me the ability to hide a note.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, editorsavant said:

request for a simple capability  ...  Please just give me the ability to hide a note.

The suggestions were a simple solution; assign a tag to the notes you want "hidden".

Yes. Thank you. Assigning a tag will hide notes from searches. 

I am requesting that notes can be hidden whether or not I am searching. Simply hidden, all the time, unless I want to see them.

I appreciate the work arounds. I am asking for a built-in capability.

Thanks again.

Archived