Why did annotating mess up my PDF?

I have a PDF I've been annotating some note on using my iPad. It's kinda clunky, but workable. I made a note in the upper left hand margin with an arrow pointing to a specific spot in the paragraph, then saved the annotation. From then on, my single-page PDF has now become a double-paged, so rather than viewing one page at a time as it was originally, it now views two pages side by side. Naturally in an iPad mini, I cannot read the document without zooming in to the original one page view, but the whole PDF is now stuck this way. What is going on?

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not an iOS user,  so no help here as such,  but did you ever remove the arrow that you think started this off?  I can only imagine that you somehow accidentally inserted some random code that means 'side by side page mode'.  Other suggestions would be:  copy the file to another note,  using 'export PDF' to create a copy file and attaching that to a new note.  NB this will affect your upload allowance - if it's a big file you may be better off contacting support directly if you can,  or messaging them on Twitter first.

So here's something interesting: I did try removing the arrow, but no help. The text was in the margins, so I figured if I moved it to the middle of the page, maybe it would trigger the algorithm in the other direction. Nope. I opened the pdf on my computer, and it looked fine: single page, text in the middle, no issues. Opened it again on iOS, and still the side-by-side page mode. I decided to remove all the text on the page just to see what would happen, and it put it back to single page mode! Whoo hoo! I put text back on, and it reverted back to side-by-side. Doesn't matter where I put the text on that page (whether margin or middle), it goes to side-by-side.

Just for kicks and grins, I put some text on the next page right in the middle. Something told me if I did that, it would change to side-by-side. Sure enough, I put simply "test" in the middle of the page, and it changed to side-by-side. Not sure what the algorithm is looking for, but annotating in the Evernote iOS app may no longer be viable for me. That's a bummer given I'm a premium account.

Archived