Weird autocorrect problems

I'm experiencing weird issues with autocorrect on the newest version (Evernote basic, 7.9.6, running on the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser, Android 6.0.1 build MMB29P.WW_Phone-13.10.10.43-20160930, unrooted). The issues only happen when editing the body of a note. Editing anything else (even the note title!) don't cause the problems to appear.

Basically Evernote started to treat words separated by spaces as one and tries to apply autocorrect to them, as a whole. The uploaded image shows the exact problem.

If I were to press space one more time (so if I were to type in "To_test_", where '_' is a space), the message would be set to "Totest". The word "Totest" obviously is not valid in my dictionary.

My autocorrect is globally turned OFF. I only enabled "Show word suggestions" in the keyboard settings. I'm using the standard ZenUI Keyboard that was preinstalled with my phone. The current version is 1.7.8.14_160929.

Screenshot_20161023-225301.jpg

28 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you tried uninstall / restart / reinstall - to see whether that brings back a more normal process?

Hello. Yes, I did. I tried that once more just now (uninstalled, restarted phone, installed again, synchronized notes) and the behaviour still persists.

Also, to add information: my phone software, Evernote version and keyboard version are all up to date. No further updates are available to any of them.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  The delights of modern computing.  Just to confirm - did you follow this procedure when disabling autocorrect? - http://www.turnoffautocorrect.com/how-to-disable-autocorrect-on-the-asus-zenfone-2/

I can't really suggest any fixes or work-arounds,  other than maybe using a word-processor app to edit your notes and attaching that file into the note body.  I'd suggest you contact support if you're able to do so,  or try tweeting @EvernoteHelps for more suggestions... make sure you include the URL of this thread for background.

55 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  The delights of modern computing.  Just to confirm - did you follow this procedure when disabling autocorrect? - http://www.turnoffautocorrect.com/how-to-disable-autocorrect-on-the-asus-zenfone-2/

Yes, I followed that procedure. The UI is a bit different on my phone (not sure if it's because of the Android version, or is the tutorial designed for an older ZenUI version), but the prompt on the last screenshot remained the same. Autocorrect is clearly set to OFF.

I'll try contacting support. If anyone thinks he can even remotely help - I'll gladly hear it out tho. Thank you for the help!

21 hours ago, Toastslayer said:

On the Samsung Galaxy S6, I just fixed this by doing the following: Go to Settings, Language and Input, Samsung Keyboard, and turn off “Predictive Text"

There's no such option on the Zenfone. I've tried disabling "Automatic capital letters", "Automatic interpunction" and "Automatic spaces", but that didn't fix anything :(

Guess I'll have to create a Twitter account as I'm not able to send a ticket.

Hello @DoctorDevil,

Thank you for posting and am sorry you are encounter troubles with Evernote and the keyboard. We are currently looking into this, as we have had a few reports of conflicts since the latest Evernote update with the stock Asus keyboard. I will keep you posted once I know more.

17 hours ago, Matt W. said:

Hello @DoctorDevil,

Thank you for posting and am sorry you are encounter troubles with Evernote and the keyboard. We are currently looking into this, as we have had a few reports of conflicts since the latest Evernote update with the stock Asus keyboard. I will keep you posted once I know more.

As long as you people are looking into it, I'm fine with it being a temporary issue :) Thank you for the information, didn't find any similiar topic on the boars, waiting patiently for more news about the fix! 

I had same issue in Zenfone 3 with ZenUI default keyboard.  Only affected the current version of Evernote. Whenever typing it would underline previous word and then join with next word.  Also 2 spaces after a period would make ".I". I turned off word reslection, next word prediction, and autocorrect, but still the same.

Fixed by installing Google Keyboard from the play store .  Works fine now.

Must be issue with the ZenUI default and Evernote. 

I have the same issue. ZenFone 2 with stock ASUS keyboard, US 9 key keyboard. If you put a space after a word, the space gets automatically deleted and what should have been the next word gets pasted to the word in front of it. I found that turning off next word prediction suddenly makes it possible to put 2 spaces and then if you go on typing, one space of the 2 is deleted and only 1 remains. Using the 26 key keyboard allows you to type with spaces, without 2 words getting pasted, but it indeed takes the 2 last words for autocorrect suggestions, instead of only the last word. But the funny part is you cannot put more than 1 space, but the space remains when typing the next word. With the 9 key the space gets deleted as soon as you type the next word. Turning off the next word prediction you suddenly can put as many spaces as you want.

I have been having similar problems with my Galaxy S6 using the Samsung keyboard. Whenever I use the "/" key or "-" key whatever key I use next will be changed to the "/" or "-" that I justed used. It makes it very hard to type anything. I have tried un-installing and re-installing as well as changing the settings on my keyboard without any success. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Iamexperiencingthesameissue!

but it isn't restricted to evernote, it happens in many applications including yahoo mail, chrome etc.

have managed to  work round it  by turning off  'Show Word Suggestions' in  advanced keyboard settings

My device is an Asus Zenpad 380

6 hours ago, Neil W65 said:

Iamexperiencingthesameissue!

but it isn't restricted to evernote, it happens in many applications including yahoo mail, chrome etc.

Well then you're at the wrong place friend. This board is related strictly to Evernote. If you have a problem with your phone, you should seek support at the phone creators (Asus).

Hello all, i had the same issue for weeks in my Asus Zenfone 2!

I tried looking for "Google Keyboard" that the "jerry greiner" suggests, and i find a new update for "ZenUI Keyboard - Emoji, Theme" that finally corrected this annoying problem.

I hope that helps at least Asus users. 

• 1 year later...

Im experiencing the same issue with Evernote only, with a samsung s3 tablet.  So aggravating, cannot put anything into body of a note without random misspellings and fragments of words appearing when i use space bar, return key, forward slash etc.  Any permanent fixes? Im ready to abandon Evernote @ this point because it doesn't allow me do anything useful.  I can't make a note and have it be legible or readable after

Archived