Shortcut to new note on Windows desktop?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, shodk said:

Is that possible - and how?

Yes. 

1. Select the note in Evernote you want to put a shortcut to.
  2. Hold down the CTRL key. this is important.
  3. In the note, select the Note menu, then Copy Note Link.
  4. On the desktop, Right-click and select New Shortcut.
  5. CTRL-V the note link.

THat's it.

If you don't do #2 above, you'll get a URL and the shortcut will open in your browser and not in your Evernote window. CTRL modifies the note link to an internal Evernote note link on your PC, even if you are not online.

3 hours ago, EdH said:

Yes. 

1. Select the note in Evernote you want to put a shortcut to.
  2. Hold down the CTRL key. this is important.
  3. In the note, select the Note menu, then Copy Note Link.
  4. On the desktop, Right-click and select New Shortcut.
  5. CTRL-V the note link.

THat's it.

If you don't do #2 above, you'll get a URL and the shortcut will open in your browser and not in your Evernote window. CTRL modifies the note link to an internal Evernote note link on your PC, even if you are not online.

Maybe I'm getting it wrong - but is that guide to a new note or to an existing note (as subject says, I'm looking for a new note direct shortcut)?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, shodk said:

Is that possible - and how?

This might help

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php

Evernote.exe

You can invoke Evernote.exe with the commands described below. Note that individual commands cannot be combined. If Evernote is already running, your command will be passed to the existing instance.

/NewNote

Opens a new window with a new, empty note. Equivalent to right-clicking on the Evernote icon in the taskbar and choosing "New note". 

• Level 5*

...And if you create a note (with or without tags,  and existing content) as a template,  and Export that note to ENEX to save on your desktop,  you'll get a new version of that note each time you click on it!  :)

15 minutes ago, gazumped said:

...And if you create a note (with or without tags,  and existing content) as a template,  and Export that note to ENEX to save on your desktop,  you'll get a new version of that note each time you click on it!  :)

Hmm... but that won't function as a solution to my question...?

Yes, it creates a new note, but it doesn't open it/bring focus to it... it just creates a new blank note at the destination...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, shodk said:

Hmm... but that won't function as a solution to my question...?

Yes, it creates a new note, but it doesn't open it/bring focus to it... it just creates a new blank note at the destination...

The default to create a new note is Ctrl-Alt-N.  You can modify the shortcut by going to Tools - Options - Shortcut keys.  Focus does go to the note when you use this shortcut.

Image.png

But when I  create a note as suggested (with or without tags,  and existing content) as a template,  and Export that note to ENEX (save on my desktop) it says than I can't export notes, error: invalid item type...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, shodk said:

But when I  create a note as suggested (with or without tags,  and existing content) as a template,  and Export that note to ENEX (save on my desktop) it says than I can't export notes, error: invalid item type...

Can you get a screenshot of the exact error.
We are exporting notes all the time - its part of standard backup process

Archived