Evernote for Mac 6.10 Beta 3 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.10, Beta 3! You can download it here.

This Beta builds on the work from the previous Beta 1 and Beta 2 where we’ve announced significant under the hood work on the note editor. We've addressed most of the issues the Beta community was able to help us identify. Please let us know if you spot anything else before we GA.

Thanks,

Chantal, Alex and the rest of the Mac and Note Editor teams!

Evernote for Mac 6.10 Release Notes

New:

• Note editing has many under the hood changes that sets the groundwork for more future changes.

Fixed:

• An intermittent issue where the app would sometimes hang when decrypting text

• An issue where copy/pasting links and dates/times encodes trailing white spaces 

• An issue where PDF annotation only works on the first page of a multi-page PDF

• An issue where dragging images from Evernote to the desktop would no longer paste the image

• Several tweaks to table formating, and copy/pasting contents in/out of tables

35 replies to this idea

So, I've run into what may - or may not - be a bug that began in 6.10 beta 2: throughout countless notes that I've written by hand - ampersands are converted into their html markup version. So, text that was written in a note as:

salt '' cmd.run 'cd /usr/local/src && tar -xzf monit-5.20.0.tar.gz && cd monit-5.20.0 && (etc)

when copied and then pasted becomes:

salt '' cmd.run 'cd /usr/local/src && tar -xzf monit-5.15.tar.gz && cd monit-5.15 &&

This seems to happen if any text styling was applied to the text after the fact - put the highlighter on it, make it bold, whatever. The problem is that it never used to do this. I have hundreds of notes with text formatting employed in some circumstances and not in others. Sure, I can strip off the formatting and then copy - but if there was specific formatting (say, for a pdf document publishing internally for staff) then it mucks that up for future revisions.

Now, it occurs to me that this change in behavior may have coincided with upgrading my MBP to MacOS Sierra - but I can't find any mention online of changes to how text is pulled to the clipboard (besides their 'universal clipboard' thing, which I don't employ).

oh - and on the off chance my examples above get morphed by any formatting in *this* text editor, I've attached screenshots.

any thoughts?

(edit - I suppose this may fall  under the 'paste and match style' issues above that others have reported...but I'm not entirely certain)

As it appears in Evernote.png

What gets pasted.png

13 hours ago, anastrophe said:

So, I've run into what may - or may not - be a bug that began in 6.10 beta 2: throughout countless notes that I've written by hand - ampersands are converted into their html markup version. So, text that was written in a note as:

salt '' cmd.run 'cd /usr/local/src && tar -xzf monit-5.20.0.tar.gz && cd monit-5.20.0 && (etc)

when copied and then pasted becomes:

salt '' cmd.run 'cd /usr/local/src && tar -xzf monit-5.15.tar.gz && cd monit-5.15 &&

This seems to happen if any text styling was applied to the text after the fact - put the highlighter on it, make it bold, whatever. The problem is that it never used to do this. I have hundreds of notes with text formatting employed in some circumstances and not in others. Sure, I can strip off the formatting and then copy - but if there was specific formatting (say, for a pdf document publishing internally for staff) then it mucks that up for future revisions.

Now, it occurs to me that this change in behavior may have coincided with upgrading my MBP to MacOS Sierra - but I can't find any mention online of changes to how text is pulled to the clipboard (besides their 'universal clipboard' thing, which I don't employ).

oh - and on the off chance my examples above get morphed by any formatting in *this* text editor, I've attached screenshots.

any thoughts?

(edit - I suppose this may fall  under the 'paste and match style' issues above that others have reported...but I'm not entirely certain)

As it appears in Evernote.png

What gets pasted.png

Thanks, we can reproduce this. We'll take care of it

3 issues to report:

1. system-wide shortcut for fonts adjustment (%T) no longer works. Earlier versions short "%T" beside the "Show Fonts" command under the "Format" menu, not anymore with 6.10 betas.

2. There is no longer an empty line separating two paragraphs after using Shift-Command-F to simplify formatting. I capture a lot of online news articles and this is a command I use often. Before Evernote allows us to adjust paragraph spacing as in a word processor, I much prefer the old way (a blank line between paragraphs) than having all paragraphs cramped together. Please at least keep it as an option. Please!

3. I tried to go back to version 6.9.2 (due to the previous issue), only to find I couldn't (got the "Version too old" error message). Fortunately I managed to go back after editing the two "version" files in ~/.../com.evernote.Evernote.

I hope there's a warning about this before you call upon people to beta test, especially when there's truly incompatible changes and one really can't go back. If there is no incompatible changes, please make it easy for people to go back. Thanks!

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, mwang said:

3 issues to report:

1. system-wide shortcut for fonts adjustment (%T) no longer works. Earlier versions short "%T" beside the "Show Fonts" command under the "Format" menu, not anymore with 6.10 betas.

I don't recall this, but on a Mac we can add shortcuts to any menu item at Apple > System Preferences > KeyboardScreen Shot 2016-10-22 at 9.53.08 AM.png

>> I tried to go back to version 6.9.2 (due to the previous issue), only to find I couldn't (got the "Version too old" error message). Fortunately I managed to go back after editing the two "version" files in ~/.../com.evernote.Evernote.

I've had this happen to me before when downgrading to a previous version after using a version that upgraded my database
My solution was to delete my database and let it be rebuilt from the servers

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't recall this, ...

I do, as I'm back to v.6.9.2. :-)

..., but on a Mac we can add shortcuts to any menu item at Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard

Thanks, I know that. Still, it's a regression with 6.10 betas, so I'm reporting it.

>> I tried to go back to version 6.9.2 (due to the previous issue), only to find I couldn't (got the "Version too old" error message). Fortunately I managed to go back after editing the two "version" files in ~/.../com.evernote.Evernote.

I've had this happen to me before when downgrading to a previous version after using a version that upgraded my database
My solution was to delete my database and let it be rebuilt from the servers

Again thanks for the suggestion. That's indeed what I would have to do if the databases were incompatible; dodge the bullet this time, thankfully. Rebuilding the database from scratch is nevertheless very time consuming (did it a few times in the past), and quite disruptive for my work. (Yeah, I can use my notebook or the web version, but that's not quite as efficient.) And that's why I made the request I did.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, EdH said:

Is anyone having an issue with annotation tools? I can use the arrow, but cannot add text or boxes/lines. On macOS Sierra

Works for me
The only outstanding issue I have is that I can't scroll to other pages; I have to use the page thumbnails in the sidebar

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Works for me
The only outstanding issue I have is that I can't scroll to other pages; I have to us the page thumbnails in the sidebar

Strange. I'll try closing and reopening EN when I get home. Those other tools just would. not. work.

8 hours ago, EdH said:

Is anyone having an issue with annotation tools? I can use the arrow, but cannot add text or boxes/lines. On macOS Sierra

Since the Beta 3 update, I can only use the page thumbnails to go to other pages to annotate, but now Evernote keeps crashing while annotating. Sending in a support ticket.

I am running Sierra 10.12. Since updating from the last stable Evernote release to Beta 3, the Google Drive links within a note are not working and clicking on a document link within a note resets all of the hyperlinks and knocks the cursor up to the top of the note. I have made sure that my Google Drive permissions are current.  My other Mac with Evernote v 6.10 is not having this issue, but I did not update it to the beta version.  Anyone else having this issue?

Hi all,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I do not understand the { } function added to the note editor.

Clicking it, produces a grey field with text in an old school computer font?

I'm certain there must be more to it, but I cannot find it yet.

Thanks in advance for clarification!

Annotation now works past the first page but only if pages are moved through by clicking on previews in the sidebar. 

There's also now an issue of buggy UI in fullscreen view as per screenshot attached - looks like an outline of the page ghosted on top?

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 11.42.54.png

I recently updated to vn 6.10 and have never had so many intermittent formatting problems within notes.

Won't let me delete or add rows/columns in tables.

Context box overlapping text in notes (even after I turned Context off in Preferences)

Cutting and pasting text works sometimes and not others. Likewise bold / italics.

Bullets and numbering doing weird things too e.g. I start a list with a line of text numbered 1, hit return and instead of it dropping down to #2 on list, it renumbers the first line as 2, but still keeps the #1 there.  

It's frustrating and wasting a whole lot of time having to constantly shut down and re-open EN. Beginning to wish that I'd stayed with previous version.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

Using a MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

On 10/22/2016 at 5:39 PM, mwang said:

Recently upgraded to 6.10 (454267 Direct) for Mac.

I'd like to see this keyboard shortcut restored.

If it was intentionally removed, then that was a retrograde decision.  While we can add a shortcut, it's a bad decision to make users customise shortcuts for something that has been part of Evernote for a long time.

If it was accidentally removed, then that's a bug, and should be fixed.

Other than that, I like Evernote!

Regards,
Ken.

Update:

I added a shortcut for Show Fonts in application Evernote using System Preferences, but it doesn't work properly.

Firstly, it only sometimes displays the Fonts dialog.  If I try it again, I just get hear sound indicating an error or an unknown key-stroke. 

Secondly, I can't use it to hide the dialog.  Previous behaviour was that Cmd-T would toggle showing/hiding the Fonts dialog.

So, the workaround of adding the shortcut yourself does not work.

Further Update:

My issue was caused by my adding a shortcut for Show Fonts only.  When the Fonts dialog displays, the menu item changes from Show Fonts to Hide Fonts.  Hence hitting Cmd-T again was not hiding the dialog, as I reported above.  I've added a second shortcut via System Preferences for Hide Fonts, giving it the same key-stroke, Cmd-T, and it's all working as it should now.

Because there was no shortcut for Hide Fonts, after my first attempt, I was hearing the error 'honk'.

Having said all that, I'd still like to see Evernote restore the shortcut out of the box.

The crash issue with clicking and dragging a notebook stack has been fixed. Thank you.

When I make a presentation of my notes and then right-click->Export presentation as PDF, it works properly. However, it appears that the option 'Export presentation as PDF' is greyed out for articles clipped from the web using the web clipper. (Web clipper screenshot has no issues, just when I choose 'Article' or 'Simplified Article' the issue exists I think. I am not sure if this is a bug or was intended or an issue with my system.

Anyone else facing this issue?

• Level 5*

Fixed Partly: PDF annotation problems with OS Sierra and multipage

- I am now able to annotate the multipage pdf

- I have to use the side menu to move to new pages, simple scrolling blocks me from doing annotations past the first page

46 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Yep, we're working on it now.

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

Fixed Partly: PDF annotation problems with OS Sierra and multipage

- I am now able to annotate the multipage pdf

- I have to use the side menu to move to new pages, simple scrolling blocks me from doing annotations past the first page

What about the multi-page PDF scrolling and annotation issue that now seems to appear?

16 hours ago, TG Chen said:

Sadly, the issue of PDF annotation wasn't fixed at all ...

Same problem here ... 

UPDATE: Restarting Evernote solved the issue at the moment ... now it seems to work...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, trenchantly said:

Still causes a duplicate file to be created.

My understanding is this is an OS Sierra issue, and is not being addressed in this release

See below for latest news

11 minutes ago, trenchantly said:

Cut and paste bullets doesn't work.

PDF editing doesn't work.

Still causes a duplicate file to be created. This is UTTERLY maddening.

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 19.06.56.png

What is broken about cut and pasting bullets? Do they fail to paste? Or is the paste wrong in one way or another? Or something else?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, trenchantly said:

Delete column doesn't work in a table.
Cannot reduce column width beyond a certain (fairly wide) point.

I can delete columns and reduce column width.Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 11.32.06 AM.png
What are you seeing when you try it.

19 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.10, Beta 3! You can download it here.

This Beta builds on the work from the previous Beta 1 and Beta 2 where we’ve announced significant under the hood work on the note editor. We've addressed most of the issues the Beta community was able to help us identify. Please let us know if you spot anything else before we GA.

Thanks,

Chantal, Alex and the rest of the Mac and Note Editor teams!

Evernote for Mac 6.10 Release Notes

New:

• Note editing has many under the hood changes that sets the groundwork for more future changes.

Fixed:

• An intermittent issue where the app would sometimes hang when decrypting text

• An issue where copy/pasting links and dates/times encodes trailing white spaces 

• An issue where PDF annotation only works on the first page of a multi-page PDF

• An issue where dragging images from Evernote to the desktop would no longer paste the image

• Several tweaks to table formating, and copy/pasting contents in/out of tables

Looks like I can search in PDF, annotate, but not copy anymore :(

1 hour ago, trenchantly said:

Delete column doesn't work in a table.

Cannot reduce column width beyond a certain (fairly wide) point.

Are you having problems deleting any column? Or is it that some columns can't be deleted, but some can?

Also, the minimum width should be 70 px -- is that what you are seeing?

Archived