Cursor shows link finger pointer even in text areas

In Windows Evernote I'm in a note and the cursor is giving me the finger, that is, showing the finger/hand pointer even when I am not pointing to a link. The cursor works correctly as a text cursor but appears as a link pointer. I can right click and the "remove link" is grayed out indicating I am not over a link. When I click, the text cursor appears and the finger mouse pointer still shows. Anyone else? This appears to be only on some notes. 

• Level 5

It's possible that the finger has gotten "stuck" in the interface. (Gosh, that sounds awful.) Anyway, try exiting Evernote completely (File menu, then Exit; the red X box only closes the window, doesn't quit the program entirely). Restart the program, and hopefully the problem will be corrected. If not ... well, then it's beyond me.

Hi Guru Dave, Oh, it's been happening for weeks now. I restarted anyway and no change. Yes, something is stuck, but I don't know how to unstuck it. Corrupted note I guess. I re-created it by copying and pasting (match formatting) into a new note. Very weird. 

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, BarclayB said:

I re-created it by copying and pasting (match formatting) into a new note. Very weird. 

Does the newly created copy also have this issue?

If you don't mind sharing the note's content, export and upload the .enex so we can take a closer look. 

• Level 5

Verrry interesting. While @Austin G and his crew are investigating, I wonder if you could share what the source of the material in the afflicted notes was? Did you type them directly, or was the content pasted in from another source? In the latter case, it might be possible that it got onto the clipboard as HTML, and had a stray code in it that brings up the link pointer.

I think the only source was copy/paste from emails, and I did that from outlook.com so it was material in a browser. Oh, and now I see there is other material copy/pasted from a web page, very likely from Chrome. But I do this kind of copy/paste all the time and never see this, so it had to be something special. I do notice that there is a url at the top of the note, and I'm not sure how that's used--perhaps the original note was created by web clipper? Or is that url at the top simply the first url placed into the note? That top url still appears in my recreated note though. 

• Level 5

That URL is supposed to represent the source of the material, whether it comes from Web Clipper or is pasted in. But I've had it show up as links to an e-mail in Thunderbird on my computer, and as simply the first URL that happens to be mentioned in the note.

It is strange that this only just started happening, since as you say for many of us this kind of pasting is a common practice. I haven't seen it yet, but will keep alert.

But wait: I did just find it happening in one particular note, which was created by clipping/sharing a Website on my Android phone. There's a bunch of text in that article, but only one line gets the URL hand; and when I click it, nothing happens, it's just ordinary cursor action, just as you describe. I've attached my exported .enex file in case it might help. The line that gets the URL hand is near the top, the one beginning "FS1 =".

MLB 2016 Postseason Schedule.enex

Archived