Search order by relevance for windows please

jaya_simpson

Idea

Hi,

I just wondered if 'sort by relevance' is ever going to be available on the windows version? I use a macbook at home and it is so helpful and saves so much time. My work computer is windows and I have so many notes that at the moment it makes more sense for me to remember what I want to find and then search it when I get home - but it shouldn't be that way! If there is a beta version any time soon I'd be really interested in testing it. I feel like the mac version has had this feature for such a long time!

20 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jaya_simpson said:

I just wondered if 'sort by relevance' is ever going to be available on the windows version? I use a macbook at home and it is so helpful and saves so much time. My work computer is windows and I have so many notes that at the moment it makes more sense for me to remember what I want to find and then search it when I get home - but it shouldn't be that way! If there is a beta version any time soon I'd be really interested in testing it. I feel like the mac version has had this feature for such a long time!

I'm on a Mac and I'm not clear what you mean by  'sort by relevance'

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm on a Mac and I'm not clear what you mean by  'sort by relevance'

So when I search on my macbook it automatically puts the most relevant search results at the top. I'm not at my macbook right now so I can't describe exactly, but I think if you go to the 'sort notes by' you have an option to sort by date created/title/etc. mine is set to sort by relevance and I'm pretty sure this is the default option.

On windows this is not an option, so when I search for a word or sentence it shows me the most recent notes that contain that search term. On my macbook it would show me notes that repeated that search term lots of times, so I wouldn't have to spend too much time looking through the hundreds of notes it has found.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jaya_simpson said:

So when I search on my macbook it automatically puts the most relevant search results at the top. I'm not at my macbook right now so I can't describe exactly, but I think if you go to the 'sort notes by' you have an option to sort by date created/title/etc. mine is set to sort by relevance and I'm pretty sure this is the default option.

On windows this is not an option, so when I search for a word or sentence it shows me the most recent notes that contain that search term. On my macbook it would show me notes that repeated that search term lots of times, so I wouldn't have to spend too much time looking through the hundreds of notes it has found.

Here are the sort options on the Mac Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.34.46 AM.png

No "Sort by Revlevence"

I undestand sort by date/title etc; I don't understand revelevence, especially when I'm searching by tagname

The only other options I know of are the Shortcut and Reminder sections where you can manually adjust the note position in the list

>>On my macbook it would show me notes that repeated that search term lots of times

When I do a search, I get a list of notes satisfying the search
They are in the specified order, date/title etc

edited: As per @Jefito, it was an option (even default) a while back, but it was dropped. 
I never used it.  I found the order somewhat random

• Level 5*

"Sort by relevance" was apparently added to Evernote for Mac sometime in 2014: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/09/22/evernote-mac-better-tables-image-resizing-hundreds-fixes/. The, er, relevant quote:

More relevant searches

Our Augmented Intelligence team has been hard at work rethinking how search results are displayed. The date a note was created may be valuable, but in many cases that isn’t the best indicator that the top note is the one you’re looking for. We’re now displaying notes in order of relevance. The notes that we believe are most relevant to your search, based on a variety of parameters, will appear first.

mac-relevant

You can always switch to the classic search ordering, if you want.

See also: 

I don't know whether this was withdrawn later...

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

Here are the sort options on the Mac Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.34.46 AM.png

No "Sort by Revlevence"

I undestand sort by date/title etc; I don't understand revelevence, especially when I'm searching by tagname

The only other options I know of are the Shortcut and Reminder sections where you can manually adjust the note position in the list

>>On my macbook it would show me notes that repeated that search term lots of times

When I do a search, I get a list of notes satisfying the search
They are in the specified order, date/title etc

edited: As per @Jefito, it was an option (even default) a while back, but it was dropped. 
I never used it.  I found the order somewhat random

This is very strange because my app is up to date and I used the function yesterday...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jaya_simpson said:

This is very strange because my app is up to date and I used the function yesterday...

Can you post an screen clipping showing the option to "sort by relevance"

I used to have it on my Mac, but I no longer see it

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-20 at 1:02 AM, jaya_simpson said:

Just discovered this
The Relevance Column  suddenly appeared when I had a search that includes reminder date
The sort order also shows Sort By Relevance

5825fb359888e_ScreenShot2016-11-11at9_04_00AM.thumb.png.198b508809b1555638b9410f3a6e0a7f.png

@DTLow I didn't quite get it. Are you able to sort by relevante on the windows version or was this screen shot on windows? By the way, are you a mac or windows user, hehe?

On the Mac all search results are automatically sorted by relevance (at least for me). 

I checked the web version and it does not have this feature.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

I didn't quite get it. Are you able to sort by relevante on the windows version

Not on Windows; we were discussing a Mac feature that users would like to see implemented in Windows

@csihilling posted this description: The notes that we believe are most relevant to your search, based on a variety of parameters, will appear first.

I still don't have an idea of what "variety of parameters" means

It is Jul 2019, and this feature is still not implemented on Windows. Being a user, of multiple platforms, the distinction is extremely stark. Evernote on Mac really retrieves notes better. Can we have this as a priority please? As more and more notes are added, search on Windows is getting worse and worse.

This is ridiculous. 2019 and Evernote for windows hasn't caught up with 1999 Google in terms of the most basic facet of search: Which results are returned and in what order. I don't remember the last search library I played with that didn't include a relevance score. What is going on, guys? When can we sort search results by, you know, what we searched for instead of by date?

• Like 1

Yes please! Can we have 'Sort by relevance' on the Windows client please?

I have all my notes with a sensible title - so it's really frustrating when I search for something I know is in the title, but am shown lots of notes which happen to have that text in the note body first. If I've gone to the trouble of putting something in the title, I'd expect that to be shown first as it's most likely to be the note I'm looking for (or at least to have the option to choose to do that).

For example it makes no sense to me to not show me the note which I have specifically titled "bike" when I search for "bike" - but to have it way down the list somewhere below lots of other notes which happen to have "bike" in the note body somewhere.

This works fine in the web client where 'Relevance' seems to be the default and shows me the notes I want first most of the time. Also in Android it shows me the notes with the text in the title (or notebook or tag) first. Just Windows which doesn't have the 'Relevance' option.

Please can you add search by Relevance to the Windows client? All clients should be mostly consistent surely?

Everyone please comment here if you agree so Evernote can see we want this to be added.

31 minutes ago, dantek said:

I have all my notes with a sensible title - so it's really frustrating when I search for something I know is in the title, but am shown lots of notes which happen to have that text in the note body first. If I've gone to the trouble of putting something in the title, I'd expect that to be shown first as it's most likely to be the note I'm looking for (or at least to have the option to choose to do that).

Have you used the intitle: search option?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, charlieedstrom said:

Have you used the intitle: search option?

Yes I know about that thanks. But I'm having to type that every single time I do a search to get Evernote to show me the note I want as the regular search doesn't prioritise the note title - so the actual note I want (with the text in the title) is always way down in the search results. I want Evernote to show me the notes with the search term in the title first (or give me the option to choose to do that if some people for some reason don't want it to) rather than having to type "intitle:" before I do any search.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, dantek said:

Yes I know about that thanks. But I'm having to type that every single time I do a search to get Evernote to show me the note I want as the regular search doesn't prioritise the note title - so the actual note I want (with the text in the title) is always way down in the search results. I want Evernote to show me the notes with the search term in the title first (or give me the option to choose to do that if some people for some reason don't want it to) rather than having to type "intitle:" before I do any search.

Use a text expander like PhraseExpress to create a hotkey accomplish the task.

I just switched from Mac to Windows and found the search to be much worse due to lacking the ability to sort by relevance. If it can be done on Mac, why can't the same solution be implemented in Windows?

So I walk into a bakery for a loaf of sandwich bread. I buy it and take it home and find that it's not sliced yet. I return to the bakery and complain. The baker replies: "What, don't you know how to use a knife?"

I will either:

• Thank the baker and say, "Wow, I never thought of cutting my own bread. That's much more efficient than your sticking it in a bread slicing machine and doing it for me."
  • Find a new baker.

What would you do?

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, viverechristus said:

So I walk into a bakery for a loaf of sandwich bread. I buy it and take it home and find that it's not sliced yet. I return to the bakery and complain.

When the baker asks how thick you want the slices, you say "by relevance"  🙂