Adding OCR to pdf files

Jordan M

I have my pdf files on my android tablet sd card. I want to move them to EN. But first I want to add a OCR text overlay.

Using my Windows 10 computer what is the best sequence of steps and software to add OCR text overlay and then upload to EN premium account.

I want the text overlay so the end product is copy and paste able text or is there a way to do this after the fact (after it is on EN). I understand that EN servers will add OCR for searchability, but this does not give select/copy paste capability of I understand correctly.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Jordan M said:

I have my pdf files on my android tablet sd card. I want to move them to EN. But first I want to add a OCR text overlay.

Using my Windows 10 computer what is the best sequence of steps and software to add OCR text overlay and then upload to EN premium account.

I want the text overlay so the end product is copy and paste able text or is there a way to do this after the fact (after it is on EN). I understand that EN servers will add OCR for searchability, but this does not give select/copy paste capability of I understand correctly.

There are various apps the will apply OCR to a pdf.

Adobe Acrobat is the original tool, ABBYY is another choice. They're expensive; you can google for cheaper alternatives

Some scanner software also include OCR function

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Jordan M said:

Is it possible to add OCR text overlay after pdf's on EN?

Yes, but it's not an Evernote feature - you need an external application
As per any file attachment, the pdf is extracted to a working directory, updated, then added back to Evernote

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Jordan M said:

Do I need to create a new note to add it back or is there a way to update the pdf attachment?

Here's an example of the workflow on my Mac

1. View the note in Evernote
  2. Right-click on the PDF, and select Open in Preview
  3. The Preview app opens with  the pdf
  4. Do my updates
  5. Save  and Close
  6. The pdf is updated automatically in Evernote - I do not have to create a new note

Warning: There is currently a bug with OS Sierra that prevents editing in place.  I'm expecting this to be resolved by the end of the month

What about removal of blank pages? It appears that using the android app it always scans two sided. So I am getting a lot of blank pages I would also like to strip out. Is there a good program that will do this?

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Jordan M said:

What about removal of blank pages? It appears that using the android app it always scans two sided. So I am getting a lot of blank pages I would also like to strip out. Is there a good program that will do this?

Deleting pdf pages is a feature of Evernote Windows/Mac Annotation

I can't find the delete feature. Apparently it is a menu in the annotate feature, but I can't seem to locate any such menu. I have right clicked and left clicked on the page I icon I want to delete and on the page itself, but no menu with a delete option. 

Ideally I would want a simpler way even if I can  get this annotate thing to work. Like software that will just automatically go through a pdf file and remove any near blank pages.

Archived