Jump to content

Closing "Find in note" Bar Causes Random Cursor Leap


Recommended Posts

In my attempt to learn another keyboard shortcut, I found another bug.

Closing the  "Find in note" search function often causes the Random Cursor Leap, usually to the very top/beginning of the note. So, instead of being on a screen with my search term, I'm way at the top of the note. This, of course, entirely negates the point of "Find in note". (I've tried closing the "Find in note" bar with both ESC and by clicking on the X. Same problem both ways.)

I'd contrast this with searching for text in a Google Doc, in which closing the "find in document" bar leaves the cursor at the highlighted instance of the search term. This is how it should it work, right?

Given that search is a core function of Evernote and this utterly and annoyingly cripples it, can we get this bug fixed ASAP?  i.e. Can we get this basic text-finding feature working properly before adding ANY new features?

Link to post

As much as I hope Evernote fixes this, fixing Random Cursor Leap is probably less of a priority than fixing Random Massive Data Loss.

*sigh

I am sticking with my deadline of Dec.31, 2016 for Evernote to get their act together and fix bugs. If they don't, I'll switch to another note-taking app, most likely OneNote. Sadly, I'm more convinced than ever that Evernote's focus will remain the addition of more features - and thus more bugs - that I don't need. Frankly, I expect Evernote font sizes and cursors to just jump around randomly today, tomorrow, in 2017, and probably forever. The Common Editor hasn't fixed those kinds of bugs. It has preserved them.

I'll dearly miss Evernote's tagging capabilities, but I am really looking forward to a life with fewer bugs.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

As much as I hope Evernote fixes this, fixing Random Cursor Leap is probably less of a priority than fixing Random Massive Data Loss.

The data loss reports seem to be have been overblown.  It was fixed for me and consisted of attachments in 2 notes that were easily fixed with Note History.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

 

As much as I hope Evernote fixes this, fixing Random Cursor Leap is probably less of a priority than fixing Random Massive Data Loss.

 

As far as I know, the Windows and Mac teams are pretty much disjoint, so I doubt that hammering on one is a detriment to the other. The random cursor jumping thingy does appear in other contexts (I see it when doing Undo operations sometimes), and is for sure annoying. I'm guessing it's some kind of race condition combined with the auto sync operation, so probably tricky to fix, but that's about the number one thing I'd like to see addressed. It's not enough to make me leave, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

What about other people? And how many people did it affect?

The count was not released.  Evernote identified the notes impacted and notified the users by email.

As @jefitto indicated; it was on the Mac platform.  

Link to post
8 hours ago, jefito said:

As far as I know, the Windows and Mac teams are pretty much disjoint, so I doubt that hammering on one is a detriment to the other.

This is probably correct.

That being said, the editor is now the Common Editor meaning there is more code shared between the versions now than there was in the past. Has Evernote ruled out the (unlikely) possibility that something in the Common Editor caused the data loss?

Link to post
9 hours ago, jefito said:

The random cursor jumping thingy does appear in other contexts (I see it when doing Undo operations sometimes), and is for sure annoying. I'm guessing it's some kind of race condition combined with the auto sync operation, so probably tricky to fix, but that's about the number one thing I'd like to see addressed. It's not enough to make me leave, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

Alone, this bug isn't enough to make me leave. But it is one item in a long list of very old bugs and glitches and quirks.

The endurance (permanence?) of that list over the years is why I'm likely leaving.

I just don't trust the software. It's not trustworthy.

Sadly, I expect a vast increase in feature bloat and thus more bugs, not fewer.

I expect more announcements from Evernote that "Quality really is coming this time, we really, really mean it this time!" (Phil Libin in 2014, the "We're fixing the editor for real this time!" announcement of 2015, and many older ones.) 

Undo fail bugs and random cursor leap bugs and many other bugs have survived all those announcements and I expect them to survive all future quality announcements, too.

I think that calling them "Everbugs" is fair.

Does any Evernote employee care to disagree? What am I missing? I really am looking for a reason to stay with Evernote. I still love the basic idea and core features. It will be a pain for me to migrate away from it and then, if/when Evernote proves the "Everbugs" name inaccurate, migrate back.

Shout out to all Evernote employees: I'm listening!

Link to post
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

This is probably correct.

That being said, the editor is now the Common Editor meaning there is more code shared between the versions now than there was in the past. Has Evernote ruled out the (unlikely) possibility that something in the Common Editor caused the data loss?

Haven't heard anything either way from the Evernote folks.

So sure there's a common core for editing, but that core is embedded into native applications, which need to do all of the interaction with the operating system (files, networking, etc.). And this feels to me like something that's outside the common editor, possibly related to background syncing (because jumping cursors have been associated with that in the past). But that's just a software developer's intuition speaking here, from outside of their actual code world. On the other hand, if it were the common editor, then we'd be hearing about this on other platforms, I expect, and I don't recall any reports on say, the Mac, not that I follow the Mac forums closely at all.

Link to post

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...