Copy Paste from Word to Evernote Looses all Formatting

BrianZB

Idea

Dear Evernote,

I absolutely love your product; however, after a recent update my ability to copy paste from word to Evernote has been compromised.  When I copy from word and paste into Evernote I lose all the formatting, specifically bullet points and sub bullet points.   Can you please help?!

• Like 1

18 replies to this idea

Folks have been asking Evernote to address this for over 3+ years.  I think the Jefito also explained well in the thread below why this could happen between MS and EN.  That being said, as an end user, it's still pretty frustrating that this can't be either a feature request or bug to be fixed.  The problem also occurs coping from Evernote into Microsoft as well.  Only have used on Windows if that helps.

I have posted a new request to "Change text size for selected text in an individual note" to consolidate this and similar requests into one request.
PLEASE copy this request name, search for it in the Evernote Home Page, and vote for it by clicking the up arrow in front of the request. Maybe we can get the Evernote teams attention. 
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave.Robinson16@Gmail.com said:

PLEASE copy this request name, search for it in the Evernote Home Page

You can post a link to your new post as per the example below
Use the link icon 597cd3ac7cf51_ScreenShot2017-07-29at11_26_44.png.867238e1124d276f60770f44e1fad316.pngto retrieve the url for your post

Also, you might consider changing your display name.  These are public forums and subject to scannining by data mining bots

Hello all, I had exactly the same issue. But later on I found out that we can get around this problem by "selecting & dragging" the source file into your EN's editing page instead of "selecting +copy & paste". 

cheers,

zheng

• Like 1

Pasting text and loosing formatting (code syntax highlighting) in Evernote has annoyed me for years.

So today I decided to try this out and it worked nicely:

In Windows 10 click on the "Search Icon"  and type “(MS product name here)” into the search box. Alternatively, click/tap on the microphone icon in Cortana’s search field and say “Launch (MS product name here)”.

Press Ctrl+v to copy the text into a new note.  It will paste the text with its current formatting!!

On 1/6/2018 at 9:11 AM, zxs said:

Hello all, I had exactly the same issue. But later on I found out that we can get around this problem by "selecting & dragging" the source file into your EN's editing page instead of "selecting +copy & paste". 

cheers,

zheng

My issue is that I have manual breaks to create space between my paragraphs in Word. When I copy to Evernote without bullets, the line spacing remains. When I copy text from Word with bullets, all the blank lines between paragraphs disappear. Even with this technique.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:06 AM, Robbb said:

Pasting text and loosing formatting (code syntax highlighting) in Evernote has annoyed me for years.

So today I decided to try this out and it worked nicely:

In Windows 10 click on the "Search Icon"  and type “(MS product name here)” into the search box. Alternatively, click/tap on the microphone icon in Cortana’s search field and say “Launch (MS product name here)”.

Press Ctrl+v to copy the text into a new note.  It will paste the text with its current formatting!!

Not sure I understood how to do this that Robbb said.

• Level 5

MS Office uses its own, proprietary file format.

Other programs have always struggled to keep up with changes, and will do as longs as MS is continuously adding small changes that makes a 1:1 conversion difficult. Even those who make a living of trying just this (like LibreOffice, OpenOffice and the like) struggle with that challenge. EN does not make the promise to have an editor that „understands“ MS word in all aspects. The EN editor is made for note taking, not to create elaborate documents.

Solutions with the current setup are:

If you need a document exactly as it was created in Word, paste it as an attachment into a Note

If you just want to transfer content,  copy the text and apply formatting in EN, or live with the differences.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, GreenTea13 said:

It'll copy stuff like italics and keep things on their own lines, but it REFUSES to copy the blank lines and just erases them like they didn't exist! PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Don't know if this will help in any of the situations listed here.

IAC, try using the EN Copy Selection hot key, Tools - Options - Shortcut keys.  Highlight whatever you want to transfer to EN (Ctrl+A if you want it all) and then use the hotkey.  A note should be created hopefully with a good representation of what it looked like in Word.  Be careful when  you edit in EN.

I found a solid workaround for this frustrating problem on Mac- I copy from Word Doc into Apple Notes, and from there I copy into Evernote. Then the formatting is much closer to the word doc, give or take a few BOLD / Underscore type details.  Hopefully there is an equivalent on Windows which will do the same.

Have a workaround myself for PC users.

Copying and pasting from Desktop Word into Evernote was a mess. However, copy and pasting from Office 365 Word (in the cloud) into Evernote came out just fine (at least in terms of bullets, font, and highlighting)

So, if you're someone like me who mostly utilizes the desktop version of Word, throw whatever text you need into 365 Word first, then copy and paste it a second time into Evernote.

EDIT- Looks like abbyqegg alluded to this way back when, but thought I would be a little more detailed here. It's not a perfect workaround, but it works in a pinch when you don't want to drag an entire document into Evernote or attach said document.