(Archived) Keeping a Diary/Journal on Evernote

Hi,

I am new to Evernote and I would like to keep my daily journal on Evernote. Now I wonder what's the best way to organise a diary.

Should I put the entry for each day into one separate note or should I create one big note that contains everday's journal entries?

Any ideas from seasoned Evernote diary keepers?

Cheers and best regards.

Paul

• Level 5*

Single daily notes, tagged with 'Diary' (or '@DIary'). Easy to isolate, can sort these by date created, etc. An easy system to use, at least until you get more experienced.

~Jeff

I don't do daily entries. But I do keep a single note for each event. That way I can tag it "journal" & store it in the appropriate notebook. IE, if it's a computer problem I have, it may go into the "computer" notebook. If it's regarding something I did for my elderly mother, it may go into the "Mother" notebook. If it's fairly generic, it may go into the catchall notebook. Then if I want to browse the entries, I search all notebooks on the tag "journal" & sort by date created.

Hi,

I am new to Evernote and I would like to keep my daily journal on Evernote. Now I wonder what's the best way to organise a diary.

Should I put the entry for each day into one separate note or should I create one big note that contains everday's journal entries?

Any ideas from seasoned Evernote diary keepers?

Cheers and best regards.

Paul

Evernote's export kind of stinks for html/ printing, and (if I recall correctly) it won't export the date or time.

If you hit ctrl + ; , however, you can create a date/time timestamp.

• Level 5*
Thanks. What if I want to input entries from days in the past? Is there a way to sort them by date as I suppose the creation date is allocated by the system

and cannot be altered?

Not that I know of, unless you either: a) reset your computer clock back (ewwww), or :) encode the date into your note Titles (maybe not a bad thing anyhow but awkward, and it would probably need to be YYYY/MM/DD to be useful, I think).

~Jeff

• Level 5*
as I suppose the creation date is allocated by the system

and cannot be altered?

Created date is editable, but not edible.

Well, that I did not know (obviously). Good tip. Interestingly (or strangely), the Updated date is editable as well.

By the way, if you want to edit the creation date, you need to be showing the Note Info toolbar. I usually have this hidden, because I rarely need to edit the information there, and for screen space considerations. It's one reason that I missed this.

~Jeff

Archived