pdf cannot annotate original document

Not sure if this is a Sierra problem or Evernote. Running 6.9.2 and just gone to Sierra

No longer can I edit pdfs with Preview directly in evernote. Preview insists on me making a copy and saving that elsehwere.

Just about the main advantage of using a Mac for Evernote over my ipad was the ability to annotate pdfs inline. (and I don't want to use the  evernote Skitch-style pdf annotation).

This doesn't seem to be a problem with Word files. 

12 hours ago, patnpm said:

Not sure if this is a Sierra problem or Evernote. Running 6.9.2 and just gone to Sierra

No longer can I edit pdfs with Preview directly in evernote. Preview insists on me making a copy and saving that elsehwere.

Just about the main advantage of using a Mac for Evernote over my ipad was the ability to annotate pdfs inline. (and I don't want to use the  evernote Skitch-style pdf annotation).

This doesn't seem to be a problem with Word files. 

Hi @patnpm, thanks for reporting this. 

Our developers are working with Apple on this to determine where the issue lies. For now the suggest workaround is to annotate directly in EN, or if you need to use Preview, save the new PDF to a location on the computer and then upload it back into the note.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

I'm having a very recent problem.  As of even a couple of days ago, I would open a note that has a PDF attachment, use the Open With option to open it in Preview (I'm on Mac 10.12 and EN 6.9.2/premium), make tweaks (such as rotate) and then click Save.  I would not use Save As, rather just Save.  I could see the change immediately in EN.

As of today, when I hit save in my Preview it forces me to save it locally which is not at all what I want.  I'm not sure if this is a result of my OS update to Sierra (10.12) or if it's a recent Evernote update.  It seemed similar to older topics discussed here but I am absolutely certain that it's always worked the first way I described and only as of the past couple of days started working differently.

Does anyone know if this is something configurable or some kind of change in behavior in EN?  I hope there's a way to get back to the way it was previously. This would completely change my workflow. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Andy

Just to add a "Me To" to this issue. I am pleased that it is not just me - but it is annoying. The ability to use Preview to edit in place was very useful and I really miss it.

On 10/16/2016 at 11:20 AM, BSR said:

Hi @patnpm, thanks for reporting this. 

Our developers are working with Apple on this to determine where the issue lies. For now the suggest workaround is to annotate directly in EN, or if you need to use Preview, save the new PDF to a location on the computer and then upload it back into the note.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

I also found that a workaround is to have Skitch installed. I'm not sure if they are talking to each other or what (i'm not that technical) but since I installed the actual Skitch program it has solved the problem. I don't even have to have Skitch open and can annotate in EN. Before I installed it annotation was hit or miss since I updated. Haven't had a problem since though.

9 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I also found that a workaround is to have Skitch installed. I'm not sure if they are talking to each other or what (i'm not that technical) but since I installed the actual Skitch program it has solved the problem. I don't even have to have Skitch open and can annotate in EN. Before I installed it annotation was hit or miss since I updated. Haven't had a problem since though.

That is really interesting, I'm going to dig into this a little to see if there's any correlation there. Thanks for pointing this out @Sayre Ambrosio!

Just to add another wrinkle to this issue. The problem with Preview and annotations occurs on my late 2009 iMac, but not on my early 2015 Macbook - both running Sierra. It smells of directory permissions. Thanks for the suggestions regarding Skim and Skitch - but I do have Skitch installed as a separate app on the iMac (where it does not work), but not on the MacBook (where it does). Will try Skim

I retract my last statement.  I could annotate a PDF and save it on my MacBook, but bot delete  page with Preview. I did install the free PDF Reader which did delete the page in place. 

• BSR locked this topic

Archived