Warning on the linked note deletion

Djordje Parovic

Idea

When I try to delete say note A, and in the note B there is a link to note A, then I should get the warning like "There is the link to this note, do you still want to delete it?" 
Otherwise, one can delete really important notes. 
I know we have trash directory, so recovery is possible, but this kind of warning would be really helpful. 

4 replies to this idea

@EdH, it depends on how it is implemented. Every note can contain (as part of metadata) the list of IDs of notes which are pointing to that one. 
When creating the link to note B inside the note A, we can update B's metadata to have A's ID in such list. 

That way, checking if the link to specific note exists can be fast (O(1)) and taking a little bit of space.

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-13 at 18:17, EdH said:

That could be really slow. I have over 17,000 notes. I don't want EN scanning them looking for links when I delete. 

The search time won't be that bad if the link data gets indexed (tested with 8000+ notes)

The link data is currently buried in the underlying html, and not indexed

5 hours ago, Djordje Parovic said:

@EdH, it depends on how it is implemented. Every note can contain (as part of metadata) the list of IDs of notes which are pointing to that one. 
When creating the link to note B inside the note A, we can update B's metadata to have A's ID in such list. 

That way, checking if the link to specific note exists can be fast (O(1)) and taking a little bit of space.

This would mean we can't simply add a link via a paste; we would always have  to go through the Add Link process.  And then theres deleting contents - it gets complicated  

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, DTLow said:

The search time won't be that bad if the link data gets indexed (tested with 8000+ notes)

The link data is currently buried in the underlying html, and not indexed

This would mean we can't simply add a link via a paste; we would always have  to go through the Add Link process.  And then theres deleting contents - it gets complicated  

Then there is shared notebooks, and business notebooks that may have a link to a note in Business Notebook A that is on your machine, but the link is in Notebook B put there by Suzie in Accounting and you not only don't have notebook B on your machine, you don't have permission to it. then there are links to notes from other apps. I put EN links in Excel URLs in spreadsheets for documentation. It goes from difficult to not feasible very fast.

Archived