Evernote for Mac 6.10 Beta 2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.10, Beta 2! You can download it here.

This Beta builds on the work from the previous Beta 1 where we’ve announced significant under the hood work on the note editor. We've addressed a number of the issues the Beta community was able to help us identify - thank you!

We've addressed all of the known issues we posted in our last announcement along with the fix to the bullet/sub-bullet formatting folks were quick to spot.

• Bullets and sub-bullets are re-ordered when a note is edited

• After copying a list and pasting it, sometimes an extra bullet will appear and the pasted list items will be indented.

• Google Drive rich links do not revert to regular URLs when users perform an Undo action.
  • After copying a portion of a line of a text and pasting it, formatting is not retained. (The issue does not occur when an entire line is copied).
  • Context is not displayed at the bottom of notes.
  • Notes are created with incorrect default point sizes, and font size may change when selecting a font from the Font dialog

Your continuing feedback in the beta is appreciated and will help us ensure the highest quality release, so do let us know if you spot any of your existing workflows are affected in this second Beta.

Thanks,

Chantal, Alex and the rest of the Mac and Note Editor teams!

Evernote for Mac 6.10 Release Notes

New:

• Note editing has many under the hood changes that sets the groundwork for more future changes.

Fixed:

• Bulleted lists with sub-bullets now render correctly

• Copy paste improvements around lists, and paste/match style

• Improved table resizing

• New todos are created on use of return key

• Several crash bugs

35 replies to this idea

Just now, DTLow said:

An easy workaround is to use Preview for pdf annotations.

I want the evernote feature i am paying for ... preview is not the same. My students are used to the way i do it with the stamps etc......

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This is not a workaround for any scanned PDF where highlighting is required. The majority of the annotations I need to make with Evernote are scanned passages from books - these have no discernible characters to Preview so cannot be highlighted. 

I'm aware of the standalone Skitch app but it's frankly sub-par and doesn't look like it's been updated in years. I was mid-way through noting and highlighting 35-odd pages the other day using it and, following it crashing, the PDF had vanished. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, thw88z said:

I want the evernote feature i am paying for ... preview is not the same. My students are used to the way i do it with the stamps etc......

Wait. Is the annotation feature broken in the release version or just the beta?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, py4on said:

The majority of the annotations I need to make with Evernote are scanned passages from books - these have no discernible characters to Preview so cannot be highlighted. 

In that example, you may be applying highlighting to images stored in a pdf.  The solution is to OCR the pdf and convert it to text

The tab key is not increasing list level if the list is contained in a table. 

I make extensive use of multilevel lists within two-column tables and in this Beta I can no longer increase or decrease the level of items in these lists using tab or shift+tab. Instead, tab just moved my cursor to the adjacent table cell. It seems like the only way to increase/decrease the level of a list item now is through menus: Format > Lists > Increase/Decrease list level.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, EdH said:

Wait. Is the annotation feature broken in the release version or just the beta?

My  understanding is that annotation got broken with the OS upgrade to Sierra, and the Beta team has added the fix to their objectives

2 hours ago, mtnbnd said:

The tab key is not increasing list level if the list is contained in a table. 

I make extensive use of multilevel lists within two-column tables and in this Beta I can no longer increase or decrease the level of items in these lists using tab or shift+tab. Instead, tab just moved my cursor to the adjacent table cell. It seems like the only way to increase/decrease the level of a list item now is through menus: Format > Lists > Increase/Decrease list level.

@mtnbnd Thanks for reporting this. If you don't see it in the next public release, you'll see it in the one after.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, thw88z said:

FIX THE ANNOTATION!!! This is a serious issue for workflow of many people..... i have students work to annotate and reports to annotate!!! Seriously.... when is this BETA 3 fix release coming out. You are killing me here. You should be working on this 24/7 and better communicating with customers as to the reason etc...

I have a bug to report. Whenever I open Evernote after it has been fully quit, Notes from Various Notebooks will appear back into my default Notebook. I will then put them back in their respective notebook and then they will reappear in the Default Notebook the next time I reopen the app. I haven't found any connection between the notes but it is usually the same 4 notes that keep appearing back in the default notebook.

• Level 5*

Broken: Paste and Match Format (command shift v)

The first pasted line Match Format; subsequent lines don't

edited: Further information, I'm pasting inside of a table

Another bug.  I'm running Evernote 6.10.  When I updated to this version I lost the ability to have a line in a bulleted list that is blank.  Example included in this post.  Also cut and paste of lines out of the list using keyboard shortcuts cmd-x and cmd-v do not work if the entire line is included.  To make this work I have to ensure that the "carriage return" at the end of the line is not included.

• Hello 1
  •  
  • Hello 2

While the crash issue involving exporting presentation as PDF has been fixed, this next one continues to cause Evernote to crash (both reported in Beta 1 forum):

1. Fixed - crash pertaining to export presentation as PDF

2. Not fixed - crash pertaining to clicking and dragging a notebook stack

Even with the update I still can't make notes on the pdf files I am trying to send back to my clients.  I'm super frustrated with this bug.  I was marking the pdf with arrrows, text, and checks to give them feedback and it only allows one page.  Please fix as soon as possible.  This is impacting my business with clients!!!! 

Hi,

I have problem with PDF annotation. Either I cannot annotate at all, or I can annotate only the fist page of the PDF. Any idea what could be the problem ? 

I updated this morning the MAs OS, I don't know if it has any relationship... Thank you very much

I've been experience multiple crashes while annotating a PDF (7-8x over the last 3 hours). I notice it especially between selecting different tools (highlight to text to arrow draw) and at first it appear to not be responsive. I am almost always able to hit the escape key and close the annotate view, but then evernote app landing page will become non-responsive. When I click the annotate PDF icon, a white screen opens, which I assume is the PDF in annotate view. But nothing comes up. At this point, I can't quit evernote, and I have to "force quit" via activity monitor.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue, but just wanted alert you guys.

Btw: I am using 2015 MBP running 6.10 Beta 2

I've tried to resolve the issue by uninstalling EN Beta 2, and deleting all the files via Spotlight search and cleared trash. I shut down the computer and on reboot, I downloaded and intalled Beta 2.

FIX THE ANNOTATION!!! This is a serious issue for workflow of many people..... i have students work to annotate and reports to annotate!!! Seriously.... when is this BETA 3 fix release coming out. You are killing me here. You should be working on this 24/7 and better communicating with customers as to the reason etc...

Noticed something new with whitespace being translated into encoded versions - &gt and   (hopefully those render - it's the encoded versions of > and space that you'd see in URLs)

I'm copying and pasting between Evernote from Terminal (OSX) and I've noticed I'm getting something translated like this:

In Evernote: echo "$i ->; $NAME.txt"; 

In Terminal: echo "$i -> $NAME.txt"; 

Looks like it's mostly from Evernote to other applications. Like copy/pasting the string into Safari (to post this message) is bringing over the encoded versions of some characters ( space, and > )

Got another issue - not sure if it's new in BETA 2 or just in 6.10...  Task list checkbox is uncheckable if added in front of hyperlinked text. This happens in a standard paragraph or within a list. Steps to reproduce:

1. Create new doc
  2. Add text "this is my link"
  3. Select the text and insert a link "http://www.google.com"
  4. Move to the front of the text (all the way to the left) and add a checkbox
  5. Click on checkbox and note how Evernote launches the link in the browser

Expected outcome - the checkbox should become checked...It cannot be checked..

I've noticed if I insert the checkbox first and then add text with link I don't get this issue.

-Jeff

Archived