(Archived) Clippers need to be flexible

Since many of us testing EN3 also have EverNote 2.2.1 on our machines, it would be awesome if the Internet Explorer, FireFox, and Outlook clippers could be "educated" in order to save data to the ENbase of our choosing... Here's what I think should happen in ANY of the clippers...

* If only one 2.2.1 ENbase is open, clip to that.

* If only one 3.0 ENbase is open, clip to that.

* If NO ENbases are open, prompt for the ENbase to clip to (2.2.1 and 3.0 ENbases), and clip appropriately.

* If BOTH 2.2.1 ENbase and 3.0 ENbase are open, prompt for the ENbase to clip to (2.2.1 and 3.0 ENbases), and clip appropriately.

I get frustrated and it interrupts my workflow when I try to clip something into 2.2.1 and it doesn't work because I have the 3.0 clippers installed.

I get frustrated and it interrupts my workflow when I try to clip something into 2.2.1 and it doesn't work because I have the 3.0 clippers installed.

EN2 and EN3 clippers should work seamlessly together and not interfere with each other. If they do, this is a bug: give us more information on the particular problem and we'll try to fix it. The one bug reported on the forum (with EN2 Firefox clipper ceasing to work when EN3 is installed) was fixed already and will be available in the next build.

Now, having said that clippers work independently and should not know of each other, here's how individual clippers work:

- EN2 clippers allow clipping to multiple Evernote bases. If single EN2 instance is running, they clip into it. If multiple instances are running, it allows you to choose the instance. If no instances are running EN2 clippers allow you to select the database and clip into the closed database.

- EN3 clippers work when EN3 is running. There is only one instance of EN3. If no EN3 instance is running, clipper will give the message 'Evernote must be running before maiking a clip'.

- Universal Clipper (which comes with EN3) allows you to choose from all open EN2 and EN3 istances where to clip, prior to clipping.

EN2 and EN3 clippers should work seamlessly together and not interfere with each other. If they do, this is a bug: give us more information on the particular problem and we'll try to fix it. The one bug reported on the forum (with EN2 Firefox clipper ceasing to work when EN3 is installed) was fixed already and will be available in the next build.

Now, having said that clippers work independently and should not know of each other, here's how individual clippers work:

- EN2 clippers allow clipping to multiple Evernote bases. If single EN2 instance is running, they clip into it. If multiple instances are running, it allows you to choose the instance. If no instances are running EN2 clippers allow you to select the database and clip into the closed database.

- EN3 clippers work when EN3 is running. There is only one instance of EN3. If no EN3 instance is running, clipper will give the message 'Evernote must be running before maiking a clip'.

- Universal Clipper (which comes with EN3) allows you to choose from all open EN2 and EN3 istances where to clip, prior to clipping.

The EN clippers do not work with IE7 as expected. I installed 2.2.1 first and then 3.0b with their associated clippers. When I highlight something in IE7, right-click, and select "Add to Evernote", it complains that EN3 isn't running. If I've got 2.2.1 running and do the same thing, selecting "Add to Evernote" again complains that Evernote isn't running. I prefer to use the IE clippers (instead of the Universal Clipper) for my day-to-day clipping.

Please advise.

When I highlight something in IE7, right-click, and select "Add to Evernote", it complains that EN3 isn't running.

Do you want to say that the clipper complains that EN3 isn't running when it *is* running? Does it depend on whether EN2 is running at the moment of clipping or not?

When I highlight something in IE7, right-click, and select "Add to Evernote", it complains that EN3 isn't running.

Do you want to say that the clipper complains that EN3 isn't running when it *is* running? Does it depend on whether EN2 is running at the moment of clipping or not?

No, if EN3 is running, the clipper works fine. Here are the scenarios for the IE clipper installed by EN3, when I select text/graphics on a webpage and right-click & select "Add to Evernote":

* EN3 running, EN2 NOT running: clip added to EN3 as expected.

* EN3 NOT running, EN2 NOT running: "Evernote must be running" message. Should, in my opinion, prompt to clip to closed ENbases (3.0 or 2.2.1).

* EN2 running, EN3 NOT running: "Evernote must be running" message. Should, in my opinion, prompt to clip to closed ENbases (3.0 or 2.2.1).

* EN2 and EN3 running: Untested.

All clippers should clip to both EN3 and EN2, and all clippers should prompt to clip to a closed ENbase (either 3.0 or 2.2.1 ENbases) like the 2.2.1 clippers do.

No, if EN3 is running, the clipper works fine.

EN3 clipper clips to open Evernote application only (if EN3 is not running, clipper advises to run it first). This is done intentionally. If you want to use Evernote, run it. If you don't want to run Evernote manually and want everything to happen automatically, use the '[x] Run Evernote when logging on to Windows' option.

We have no plans to merge EN2 and EN3 clippers together, due to the different nature of the applications and their underlying databases. We did our best to split EN2 and EN3 applications along with the clippers, to allow them run side-by-side.

No, if EN3 is running, the clipper works fine.

We have no plans to merge EN2 and EN3 clippers together, due to the different nature of the applications and their underlying databases. We did our best to split EN2 and EN3 applications along with the clippers, to allow them run side-by-side.

Since I am straddling the fence (of 2.2.1 and 3.0), I am greatly disappointed to hear that.

Every. Single. Time. I clip something, I am frustrated that these two clippers do not work together. (Having your testers frustrated every time they use your product probably isn't the best business model.)

Since I clip mostly into 2.2.1, I think what I'll do is uninstall 3.0b and 2.2.1. The resinstall 2.2.1 and 3.0 (and make sure not to install 3.0's clippers). What a pain.

I'm still not running the 3.0 clipper. Because it breaks my 2.2 clipper extension in firefox. Still waiting for the newest update that supposedly fixes that problem.

Myself, I like the fact that the 2.2 and 3 clippers are separate. That way, I can choose to clip something to my old, trusted db, or my new, stupid db. Or both (i.e., click on both clippers).

Myself, I like the fact that the 2.2 and 3 clippers are separate. That way, I can choose to clip something to my old, trusted db, or my new, stupid db. Or both (i.e., click on both clippers).

If it was programmed to do so, you could click ONE clipper and have it prompt you for where to store the note. Would be cool if the clipper allowed you to clip into both... Never thought of that!

Archived