(Archived) No "Tape" in Mac version?

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the Mac version uses a completely different setup for note-taking. Instead of the endless tape, it makes you create individually titled notes. This makes it much less convenient for jotting down random things, and also harder to browse stuff later. It might be a better setup if you have a very organized style, but I liked the old PC evernote way better.

I agree. I also found out the hard way that the Mac version not only cannot auto import, you can't drag and drop pictures since there is no "empty" note to drop them on. You can create a new note and drop it there, but if you want to import multiple, you have to do it one at a time.

We've found some issues with drag-and-drop into the note editor on the Mac. (We're using Apple's "WebKit" editor.)

We'll get these resolved, but in the mean time, you'd need to add to existing notes via "paste" instead of "drop".

(Like dbcoyer mentioned, you can drag-and-drop to create new notes, it's just an issue when you're already in the editor of an existing note.)

Thanks

dengberg - any insight on the decision to change the overall style of note-taking as pointed out in the first post? No one seems to be talking about it, which might mean they don't mind the new way. But to me it seems vastly different.

dengberg - any insight on the decision to change the overall style of note-taking as pointed out in the first post? No one seems to be talking about it, which might mean they don't mind the new way. But to me it seems vastly different.

We're still only a few weeks into the Mac beta, so none of the UI metaphors are set in stone, however ...

We are making a conscious effort to make sure that the Mac client follows general Apple UI guidelines and precedents. The goal is to make the app feel as much as possible like the OS X finder and common apps so that it behaves in the ways that Mac users would expect. Apple's development environments also give you easier access to some tricks that Microsoft doesn't, such as the sort of smooth scaling and panning you see in the thumbnail view.

We're trying to smoothly integrate this thumbnail view into the kind of quick note view that would let you easily jot down notes. A little later in the beta, I think we'll have something that may meet your requirements.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I would also love to see the 'tape' view. It doesn't have to superficially look like the Windows view (or look like a tape), I would just like a view where all the notes are displayed sequentially, instead of by thumbnails or titles.

Thanks!

Steve

Read dengberg's post above about Apple's interface guidelines.

I think their approach makes sense. It might be easier for beta users to get the same Windows interface right off the bat, but I think they are taking their time to present the best Mac interface possible yet still be consistent with Mac OS UI.

I wouldn't worry about being consistent with the Mac UI. It's not like the windows evernote is consistent with the windows UI. The tape concept is a novel UI experience and one that is an improvement over past forms of note-taking on the computer. I think you guys are trying to get too fancy on Mac without making sure the basics stand up to the original.

I wouldn't worry about being consistent with the Mac UI. It's not like the windows evernote is consistent with the windows UI. The tape concept is a novel UI experience and one that is an improvement over past forms of note-taking on the computer. I think you guys are trying to get too fancy on Mac without making sure the basics stand up to the original.

At this point, my guess is that the tape metaphor is going the way of auto-assigned categories, note links and the dodo bird. Extinct!

Archived