My normal screen layout is:

-  Left nav bar
 -  List of notes on top
 -  Selected note underneath

I've accidentally caused three vertical columns, as follows:

-  Left nav bar
 -  List of notes in middle
 -  Selected note on the right

Question 1:  Can anyone please tell me how to revert to my normal configuration?

Question 2:  How could I have found the answer to my question by using the documentation?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

You've changed your note view. Use F5 to switch to a new view style until you get your preferred view style back. You can also use the little dropdown to the left of the search control to choose the view that you want.

46 minutes ago, jefito said:

You've changed your note view. Use F5 to switch to a new view style until you get your preferred view style back. You can also use the little dropdown to the left of the search control to choose the view that you want.

Thanks Jeff. 

Your suggestion worked fine.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, OldGrantonian said:

Question 2:  How could I have found the answer to my question by using the documentation?

Glad you got the problem solved. As to question 2 ... I'm not sure you ever could. The online "documentation," which seems to me to be a pretty hit-or-miss collection of tutorials, has no explanation that I could find (in less than 5 minutes, I admit) of how the various Evernote screen layouts can be achieved. The best I could find is the Getting Started Guide under the Help menu, where there is a brief explanation. (The Explore Evernote entry on the Help menu doesn't seem to go anywhere at all.)

21 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Glad you got the problem solved. As to question 2 ... I'm not sure you ever could. The online "documentation," which seems to me to be a pretty hit-or-miss collection of tutorials, has no explanation that I could find (in less than 5 minutes, I admit) of how the various Evernote screen layouts can be achieved. The best I could find is the Getting Started Guide under the Help menu, where there is a brief explanation. (The Explore Evernote entry on the Help menu doesn't seem to go anywhere at all.)

For me, Evernote is an indispensable tool, but I think the docs are purely cosmetic:  "Yes, we have documentation." Reminds me of those fake streets they used in the cowboy movies - just facades :-)

I seem to remember that the EN docs were better in the early days. So EN have chosen the M$ route by starting with good docs, then gradually reducing the quantity (and therefore the cost). I can never find anything within the Word or Excel Help. But a google search nearly always gives me several good answers. People used to earn a living by writing books on how to use M$ products - but that was before the internet was invented by Al Gore.

I don't think EN is sufficiently mature to drop the EN help and use google instead. But the generous forum volunteers usually come up with the answers

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, OldGrantonian said:

For me, Evernote is an indispensable tool, but I think the docs are purely cosmetic:....

the generous forum volunteers usually come up with the answers

Similar to many products, I view the documentation, guides, videos as an introduction to the product.

When I have questions, I use Google, or this forum search to find answers  (example screen layout).  Many of my quesions have already been discussed.  I think this is one of the reasons Evernote provides the forum.

And I monitor this forum to discover the questions I never think of asking.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, OldGrantonian said:

For me, Evernote is an indispensable tool, but I think the docs are purely cosmetic:  "Yes, we have documentation." Reminds me of those fake streets they used in the cowboy movies - just facades :-)

I seem to remember that the docs were better in the early days. So EN have chosen the M$ route by starting with good docs, then gradually reducing the quantity (and therefore the cost). I can never find anything within the Word or Excel Help. But a google search nearly always gives me several good answers.

Ah yes, you've helped me get clear on what Evernote's "help/documentation" system reminds me of!

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Similar to many products, I view the documentation, guides, videos as an introduction to the product.

Let me throw out that some other writing tools I use in conjunction (not competition!) with Evernote do have quite detailed help bundled with them, as well as active online forums and/or e-mail lists: Scrivener and Nota Bene. These are both quite small companies with exceptionally dedicated staffs, whose founders and creators are actively involved in the programs' development and support. Nothing against EN or its people; but it does seem that large scale tends to diminish documentation for some reason these days.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, OldGrantonian said:

but that was before the internet was invented by Al Gore.

OK, this trope is no longer amusing, and it's never been true: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp. I've never been a great fan of Al Gore, but he actually helped move the Internet forward, much more than many of his detractors.

Carry on...

• Level 5

I remember when Al Gore predicted the demise of the Arctic Sea ice. His famous photo of the polar bear stranded on an ice flow in "An Inconvenient Truth". His truth has been busted.

For the month of September 2016 overall, there was 31 percent more ice than in 2012, figures released this week from the National Snow and Ice Data Centre (NSIDC) show. This amounts to an extra 421,000 (1.09 million square kilometres) of sea ice.

Off topic? Yes, but it does illustrate the power of Evernote. I pulled this information from my Global Warming notebook in my Evernote account. 

Archived