Evernote 7.17.1 on iPad - So Slow now!

southernforge

Idea

Hello,

After updating to iOS 10 on the iPad mini, and updating Evernote to 7.17.1, the performance of the app when entering notes, or typing *anything* in Evernote is abysmal.

Meaning that, it will on average, take 5-10 seconds after having typed a sentence for the keyboard to animate and for the characters to display onscreen.

Have restarted - more than once - and have tried deleting/reinstalling, but the behavior remains.

Kind of stuck on this one - any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jelake said:

The app used to run just fine on this device. Any suggestions on how to improve or has the app just become so bloated that it will never run right?

The thing is, the Evernote app on the mobile platform has a small footprint, with most of the heavy lifting done on the servers

What version of iPad do you have, and what version of OS are you using?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jelake said:

Yes, just tried this in airplane mode.  Exactly the same experience.

csihilling describes it perfectly.  I can type a word or sentence on the keys (having no effect on the screen), then watch the keys be "typed" as if invisible hands were doing it on the ipad a few seconds later.

Sorry, I have no ideas - perhaps try and contact support

My ipad is more powerful, but this shouldn't be a heavy load application

I know there's a new version being released any day now; perhaps the issue will be resolved

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Offline notebooks add to the overhead (large footprint).  I'd avoid that for now 

I'm interested in the performance with no offline books and no internet - Is typing still slow?

Yes, just tried this in airplane mode.  Exactly the same experience.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

I have had the same sloooooow typing experience on my iPad since this release.  Reported it in a different thread.  Interestingly, not so on my iPhone.  But there can sometimes be a 5 to 10 second lag in typing a character on the iPad.

csihilling describes it perfectly.  I can type a word or sentence on the keys (having no effect on the screen), then watch the keys be "typed" as if invisible hands were doing it on the ipad a few seconds later.

• Level 5*

I have had the same sloooooow typing experience on my iPad since this release.  Reported it in a different thread.  Interestingly, not so on my iPhone.  But there can sometimes be a 5 to 10 second lag in typing a character on the iPad.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jelake said:

You bring up a good point and it's probably the cause of my issues.  For the longest time I used offline for all of my notebooks.  For some reason (probably storage on ipad) I moved to "Do not download notes".  So the minute I took your suggestion and tried using EN in a disconnected state, I couldn't do anything.  I'm switching back to "Download all notes" to see how that works out.

Offline notebooks add to the overhead (large footprint).  I'd avoid that for now 

I'm interested in the performance with no offline books and no internet - Is typing still slow?

You bring up a good point and it's probably the cause of my issues.  For the longest time I used offline for all of my notebooks.  For some reason (probably storage on ipad) I moved to "Do not download notes".  So the minute I took your suggestion and tried using EN in a disconnected state, I couldn't do anything.  I'm switching back to "Download all notes" to see how that works out.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, jelake said:

It's an iPad 4th gen with retina running 10.2 (latest).

Evernote 7.18.1

I don't see a problem with this

How about taking syncing out of the mix.  How is performance when you disconnect from the internet

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Have you tried these?

1 hour ago, jelake said:

i even swapped iPads with my wife (same model), restored the device and reinstalled each app (didn't use iCloud backup). Same performance on Evernote (crappy). 

I kind of feel like you hadn't read my note.  I did a completely fresh install on a completely freshly restored OS on a different device and got the same result. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jelake said:

Any suggestions on how to improve

On 10/10/2016 at 2:08 AM, DTLow said:

Some self help solutions would be

- reboot your device; it often resolves problems

- delete and reinstall the app

Have you tried these?

Same problem here. I'll admit my iPad is an older generation now with less horsepower than I wish. But I'm running plenty of other apps with no issues at all. 

Biggest challenge is speed of typing. It's like Evernote is syncing on every key press and just can't keep up with normal typing speeds.

i even swapped iPads with my wife (same model), restored the device and reinstalled each app (didn't use iCloud backup). Same performance on Evernote (crappy). 

The app used to run just fine on this device. Any suggestions on how to improve or has the app just become so bloated that it will never run right?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Chenguang Wang said:

especially when using Apple Pencil to handwrite, it is toooooo lagging!

I haven't experienced a lag with the iPad Pro, and suspect your experience is abnormal

Some self help solutions would be

- reboot your device; it often resolves problems

- delete and reinstall the app

Archived