Multiple lines for one checkbox

André Ever

Idea

Hello everyone,

I'm currently switching from Google Keep to Evernote.
For now I have only one complaint I couldn't find a solution for yet.
Following problem..

In Google Keep I used to add multiple lines to a checkbox like so (I was able to do that with Shift + Enter, similar to Word)
Keep - Multiple Lines.PNG

By checking the checkbox it would take all the text (also the "sublines") and mark them as checked, like so
Keep - Multiple Lines - Checked.PNG

In Evernote however I'm not able to get "sublines" to a checkbox. Wether I'm using a normal Enter or a Shift + Enter, it always creates something like this
Evernote - Multiple Lines.PNG

Does somebody has a solution/workaround to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: Enjoying Evernote so far :)

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry but Evernote was never designed or intended to be a fully-featured checklist manager - you can check the help pages on Checklists here...

Best you could do (I think) would be either to create your checkbox list and add sub-tasks as indented plain text,  or use the 'increase indent' button after a main item to give you indented checkboxes,  then revert to the main margin again as necessary. 

There's no way though to cross through completed lines,  though you can find completed / not completed items easily by searching for todo:true/ false (see the help pages).

Different software,  different rules.  ;)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, André Ever said:

In Google Keep I used to add multiple lines to a checkbox like so (I was able to do that with Shift + Enter, similar to Word)

In Evernote however I'm not able to get "sublines" to a checkbox. Wether I'm using a normal Enter or a Shift + Enter

I agree it would be nice to have multiple lines to a checkbox.

The best I can do is backspace to delete the second checkbox, and add spaces so the text lines up

If it's ok with you, I can move this discussion to the feature request forum.

First of all happy German Unification Day!

Back to topic:
The Idea from DTLow was also one I've tested and it really was a potential workaround, yet I found a for me better suiting workaround, as follows.
I separate all lines that belong to one primal checkbox with a separator and put the ones that are already done to the bottom of the note and stack them.
With a simple text mark I can see that the topic is done.
Evernote - Workaround #1.png

Yet it woul'd be nice if you could move the topic to the feature request forum, so I (and hopefully many other people) can optimize their use with Evernote.

Greetings from Germany :)

Let's assume that our PM's are listening and taking note of every top requested feature enhancement reported in here. 

Focusing on what you can do today, the easiest solution right now is for you to change how you think about the "Done" item. What I mean is that you have been trained by Keep to think that something must be lined through to be considered done. In Evernote the simple act of checking the box means the item is done. I realize this is a different visual outcome, but checking the box and striking though line items means the same thing. Both signal you are done with a task.

You can create multiple lines starting with a bulleted or numbered list with a checkbox in your first line, then click Enter, then backspace to get rid of the checkbox. Subsequent new lines will not have a checkbox. Rinse, repeat.

Archived