MAJOR ISSUE: Notes are losing PDF attachments

I have opened an issue with support ( #1822861: Lost PDF attachments from some notes) and want to mention this issue to all.

For some reason, many of my old and recent notes that contain PDF attachments have lost their attachments. The notes have NOT been updated since creation but still, there is a note history that contains the note with attachment. This is an ongoing issue -- whenever I look at notes, there seems to be additional ones missing their attachments.

The assumption by support is that maybe it is caused by the Fujitsu bug, but I have not used those combination of scan options that are documented as problems. In addition, some of my notes were created several years ago, never used, and two days ago they lost their attachments! It might be possible to retrieve the notes from the history, but this is a large job esp. since there is no way of knowing which notes are involved -- and since more notes seem to be affected over time.

Rather than Fujitsu, I wonder if this issue is related to the process of moving notes to the new Evernote Cloud storage.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 4.32.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 4.32.12 PM.png

I'm seeing the same thing, except with photos, but the content is just randomly disappearing. The Mac client suddenly showed a bunch of notes as if they'd been edited, despite the fact that I had only read them. Some ones with missing data are showing a new edited date of today, but most have never been edited or show it. It seemed to start when I lost my wifi connection, possibly mid sync, though I wasn't paying attention. I'm running on macOS Sierra 10.12, with the App Store version of Evernote. 

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, pgvh said:

Rather than Fujitsu, I wonder if this issue is related to the process of moving notes to the new Evernote Cloud storage.

According to the FAQ (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/226885427), the process of moving to the Google servers hasn't started yet, though that doesn't mean that they haven't made some changes behind the scenes to get ready for it. Short form: you're losing data. You need to open a support ticket.

I just got a response from Evernote support to the issue I had opened with them.

On our end, we are also experiencing an issue our developers have confirmed came with the macOS update to Sierra with attachments being removed. While they are working to resolve the issue, we are asking users affected to use the Evernote Web to avoid further loss of attachments while our team works to resolve the issue. If you happen to have any notes affected that you are not able to restore using 'Note History,' can you confirm if you use a back up of your Mac, such as Time Machine?

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, pgvh said:

I just got a response from Evernote support to the issue I had opened with them.

Hope that this works out for you. This is probably going to affect other forum-goers, so please keep us posted. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, jefito said:

Hope that this works out for you. This is probably going to affect other forum-goers, so please keep us posted. Thanks.

Here's another update from support: 

"It appears this issue was introduced version 6.9 of Evernote and may have been amplified by the changes in OS. It was around that time we began seeing other users reporting this behavior."

So it seems that ALL users of Evernote for Mac version 6.9 or later are affected, not just those running Sierra.

This is a "devilish" bug since it affects random notes, old or new, and there is no way to find what has been affected without checking note by note. With thousands of notes, I don't know how to best deal with this.

I too have been experiencing a similar issue. I opened a support ticket, and they confirmed it's a known issue with the current Mac app. They have pushed out version 6.9.1 with a hot fix to address the problem. I'm just installing it now so will see how it goes.

Hi everyone,

I've posted an update on this issue here:

Thanks for taking a look and for everyone's patience through this, I definitely understand how frustrating this issue is. Let me know if you have any questions.

I already posted this in the other thread, but I want to ask the same question here:

Is there a way to find out which notes may have been affected by this? I've got backups and I've got the note history, but I certainly don't want to go through 20,000 notes to figure out which ones may have lost content.

• Level 5*

From what I've read this seems to be a random occurrence,  so no obvious way to flag the notes that would need to be (re)updated;  two thoughts on this: 

If you have access to a Windows machine,  there's an option in the extended Help menu (Ctrl+Help) to 'Fix Lost Resources' - @BSR can maybe advise whether that would help in this situation.  (Don't know if Macs have the same option available).

If you didn't already find the affected notes,  they're possibly low priority.  You'd want to check carefully for potentially lost attachments in critical categories - future tickets,  travel documents,  speaking/ meeting support notes and slides - that sort of thing;  but Note History will work to repair the note for the forseeable future.  Repair any notes with missing attachments if and when you find them,  but if they're not jumping out at you,  repairs are just an unnecessary extra task you can probably do without...

Archived