Documents not searchable (OCR'd) when using ScanSnap Cloud

dany09

Hi all, I am currently having an issue with the searchability of documents when using the Scansnap Cloud service. I am currently using an Scansnap ix500 scanner.

WHEN I DO USE SCANSNAP CLOUD (WIRELESS)

Currently, I have Scansnap Cloud set up such that all documents go straight to Evernote (as can be seen in the first attached picture). However, when the documents arrive in Evernote, they are not searchable/OCR'd.

WHEN I DON"T USE SCANSNAP CLOUD (WIRED)

When I have a wired connection and send the documents to Evernote through Scansnap's "quick menu" (from the included software CD - see the second attached picture), the documents arrive in Evernote and are indeed searchable (OCR'd).

Why am I having this issue? At first, I though that the WIRED option runs the OCR on my computer and THEN sends it to Evernote (whereas under the WIRELESS option there may be no OCR on the Scansnap Cloud server side before it is sent to Evernote). However, doesn't Evernote have OCR capabilities on their end as well (and so it shouldn't matter whether the document has been "pre OCR'd" before arriving)? Or is OCR only a premium feature?

Capture.PNG

capture2.PNG

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, dany09 said:

Hi all, I am currently having an issue with the searchability of documents when using the Scansnap Cloud service. I am currently using an Scansnap ix500 scanner.

Why am I having this issue? At first, I though that the WIRED option runs the OCR on my computer and THEN sends it to Evernote (whereas under the WIRELESS option there may be no OCR on the Scansnap Cloud server side before it is sent to Evernote). However, doesn't Evernote have OCR capabilities on their end as well (and so it shouldn't matter whether the document has been "pre OCR'd" before arriving)? Or is OCR only a premium feature?

If not OCR'd previously, Evernote does perform an OCR function for sort purposes

According to the plan details, search of pdf documents is only available at the Premium Account level
https://evernote.com/pricing/

I'm having the same problem when uploading PDFs generated with the ScanSnap Android app to Evernote. These PDFs should be searchable with the premium account that I have.

I found that when the PDF contains the metadata like the following it is NOT searchable in Evernote:

InfoBegin
InfoKey: ModDate
InfoValue: D:20161001172809+02'00'
InfoBegin
InfoKey: CreationDate
InfoValue: D:20161001172809+02'00'
InfoBegin
InfoKey: Creator
InfoValue: PFU ScanSnap Connect Application 2.5.3 for Android #ix500
InfoBegin
InfoKey: Producer
InfoValue: PFU PDF Scan Library 1.0
PdfID0: 6d601ed623db0fcab9d213725ea53e5c
PdfID1: 6d601ed623db0fcab9d213725ea53e5c

If I remove this metadata the PDF becomes searchable. Of course this doesn't solve my problem as I want the PDFs to go to Evernote without me having to manually do some operations on them. I don't see why Evernote refuses to OCR documents that contain some metadata like the above, on https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313388 there is no mention of such a limitation. I've opened a support ticket and I'm waiting.

• 2 months later...

On October 24th Fujitsu replied to my support ticket there that Evernote identified the problem and that they want to fix it, unfortunately without specifying a timeframe. Interesting, that to reach technical competent people one has to contact Evernote via Fujitsu, the Evernote support I contacted had a really hard time understanding that there is a problem.

• 2 months later...

I do have the same problem. It looks like this happens for documents scanned through the mobile (in my case iOS) ScanSnap Connect app. @EverNote is there any resolution to this? It basically makes the ScanSnap Connect app useless for ScanSnap/Evernote setup. @retog Have you been able to identify a workaround or remedy to this?

@pb1983 unfortunately the only "work around" I know is to do the OCR yourself, i.e. use the ScanSnap app on a windows computer or similar. Evernote just refuses to perform the OCR on ScanSnap scans, no matter with which app they are created.

Archived