Evernote for Windows 6.3 GA

Hi everyone,

Excited to announce General Availability of version 6.3 - you can download it here.

Thank you to our community of beta users for their feedback on Beta 1 & Beta 2. 

As always please keep the feedback coming, and we're looking forwards to getting the 6.4 Beta in your hands soon!

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Evernote for Windows Team! 

Evernote for Windows 6.3 Release Notes

New:

• You can save settings for viewing notes in a specific notebook, saved search, or tag—as snippets, cards, thumbnails, in a list, in reverse sort order. When you adjust your view of a note list, choose "Remember View Setting for…" from the drop down menu.
  • Google Drive Integration: Instead of pasting messy links to files, Evernote now includes thumbnail previews of Drive Content. You can also search your Drive from Evernote. Changes to files in Drive will sync automatically with your notes. There's even a handy icon in the Evernote toolbar to jump right into your Drive.

Improved:

• Scrollbars now are available for ink notes. To create an ink note go to File > New Note > New Ink Note.

Fixed:

• Many sync conflict issues: we’ve made several fixes so that you should see fewer note conflicts and more automatic merging of content when editing notes across devices.
  • An issue where Evernote for Business users were intermittently unable to write to some notebooks.
  • Highlighting of text in notes with embedded PDFs when using the find function (Ctrl+F) on High DPI screens.

Re Google Drive Integration:

I certainly log into Google to be sure the service is available but very regrettably I must report that integration does not function for me (neither on Win 10, nor on Win 7).

Maybe a bug in the German version, or me doing it in the wrong way, anyway it sort of crashes.

I start off by creating resp. opening a note and click on the drive icon. The German version then opens a new window saying "please wait for the page to load". The new window (page) itself is called "attach file from Google Drive". Instead of opening Google Drive the page simply disappears (crashes).

02:26:27 [10636] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s279
02:26:28 [10636] 0% Updating server note "Evernote Syncing Using Dropbox' Local...", resource count: 0
02:26:28 [10636] 0% * guid={043cca6c-ed8a-4a0a-a5bd-a42a92f205bf}
02:27:58 [9944] Loading embedded browser url: https://www.evernote.com/GooglePickerEndpoint.action?layout=win&embed=true&utm_source=evernote_app&utm_medium=windows

Does anybody else have that problem? Or an idea where I go wrong?

Progress Report

The "attach file from Google Drive page/window" no longer crashes, stays open, however, still does not give access to Google Drive.

Pls, keep looking into it, I'd be delighted to report "works as promised":D !

On 9/27/2016 at 8:59 AM, Chantal Leonard said:
  • Google Drive Integration: Instead of pasting messy links to files, Evernote now includes thumbnail previews of Drive Content. You can also search your Drive from Evernote. Changes to files in Drive will sync automatically with your notes. There's even a handy icon in the Evernote toolbar to jump right into your Drive.

And you ignored the part about making it clear that this is title only search. It is a big difference.

1 hour ago, Amelia Agnes said:

Evernote premium - on Windows 7 Pro fully up to date. Upgraded today to Evernote 6.3.3.3502. Restarted and still no drive icon. Please advise. Thank you.

No Google Drive icon for me either, and it's not present in the available buttons in the Customize Toolbar box.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Liam Gretton said:

No Google Drive icon for me either, and it's not present in the available buttons in the Customize Toolbar box.

It should be in the note editing toolbar, off to the right-hand side, next to the paperclip icon (Attach File).

4 hours ago, jefito said:

It should be in the note editing toolbar, off to the right-hand side, next to the paperclip icon (Attach File).

... I would simply like that icon to actually open up Google Drive!

I think the honourable Ms Chantal Leonard just wanted us to know that there is now an icon faintly resembling Google Drive.

Also on Evernote Premium and what annoys me is the fact that anything above "app" level type of software should be capable of displaying an error message one can understand.

Whatever log entry "CEF JS: Invalid 'X-Frame-Options' header encountered when loading 'https://docs.google.com/picker?...... truly means  I have no idea, but invalid I do understand.

@Evernote, please do not follow the lines of those from Redmond who this week issued a major update on Win10, just 3 or 4 days after release to fast-ring Beta testers, disregarding their complaints altogether. I certainly prefer to have bugs ironed out first.:)

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

... I would simply like that icon to actually open up Google Drive!

Curious, for me it opens up a window momentarily, which then shuts down. I don't count that as working.

16 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

I think the honourable Ms Chantal Leonard just wanted us to know that there is now an icon faintly resembling Google Drive.

Well, the announcement says that it's a new feature, meaning it should not be just a non-functional icon, particularly because it's in the public release.

17 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

Also on Evernote Premium and what annoys me is the fact that anything above "app" level type of software should be capable of displaying an error message one can understand.

Whatever log entry "CEF JS: Invalid 'X-Frame-Options' header encountered when loading 'https://docs.google.com/picker?...... truly means  I have no idea, but invalid I do understand.

Error messages should generally be clear to the user (though sometimes error messages float up from lower levels; this can't always be controlled. This one looks kinda like that, try a web search on " Invalid 'X-Frame-Options' header encountered when loading 'https://docs.google.com/picker?", and you'll see lots of hits), but log entries can include stuff that's incomprehensible to users, if it helps a developer or support person pinpoint a problem. I see no harm in that. I'm actually not seeing any error message at all when I invoke the Google Drive icon; Just the window flashing open, then closed. I do get the log entries that you're seeing.

21 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

@Evernote, please do not follow the lines of those from Redmond who this week issued a major update on Win10, just 3 or 4 days after release to fast-ring Beta testers, disregarding their complaints altogether. I certainly prefer to have bugs ironed out first.

Bugs happen; it's just a fact of software life. Every piece of non-trivial software ships with bugs, and very often there are bugs known to the developer. The Google Drive feature has been available in public beta since at least August 25th (version 3 beta 1, I believe), so a bit over a month. I can't say that I tested it out myself, having been in a bit of a release frenzy myself (and not specifically interested in this feature myself); I can't say how much feedback there was over it, but the posts are all still there (ok, I just went back and read them: someone did report what I'm seeing, Evernote employee Emerick requested logs, but didn't get a reply, in the forum at least). That being said, of course we prefer to have bugs ironed out earlier before ship; it's just rarely feasible to get them all. This one does seem like a somewhat major oops, since it's a bulleted new feature, but maybe we both have some special feature to our system that's triggering it (my Win 10 Anniversary just hit last week, for example).

But it installed on C:\ while the previous installation was on D:\.

I have very good reasons to have the installation on D:\.

What reason is there to not follow the previous installation of the user? And then without warning? If there is a good reason, then at least inform at installation. Because you should not make users feel ignored.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, takaita said:

If there is a good reason, then at least inform at installation.

I don't disagree with this.

Earlier discussion in the betas from Evernote begins at (or before) this post: 

Hi re:

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

• You can save settings for viewing notes in a specific notebook, saved search, or tag—as snippets, cards, thumbnails, in a list, in reverse sort order. When you adjust your view of a note list, choose "Remember View Setting for…" from the drop down menu.

I'm not seeing the option so save the 'Remember view setting for' coming up after upgrading to version 6.3 - It's a feature I've been wanting for a long time, and this version looks like it has it. Am I looking in the wrong place? Please see attachment: Click 'change note list view (F5)' - Sort Notes by - [Select option] - no 'Remember View Setting for...' option

Evernote_sort_notes.png

21 hours ago, jefito said:

Curious, for me it opens up a window momentarily, which then shuts down. I don't count that as working.

Well, the announcement says that it's a new feature, meaning it should not be just a non-functional icon, particularly because it's in the public release.

Error messages should generally be clear to the user (though sometimes error messages float up from lower levels; this can't always be controlled. This one looks kinda like that, try a web search on " Invalid 'X-Frame-Options' header encountered when loading 'https://docs.google.com/picker?", and you'll see lots of hits), but log entries can include stuff that's incomprehensible to users, if it helps a developer or support person pinpoint a problem. I see no harm in that. I'm actually not seeing any error message at all when I invoke the Google Drive icon; Just the window flashing open, then closed. I do get the log entries that you're seeing.

Bugs happen; it's just a fact of software life. Every piece of non-trivial software ships with bugs, and very often there are bugs known to the developer. The Google Drive feature has been available in public beta since at least August 25th (version 3 beta 1, I believe), so a bit over a month. I can't say that I tested it out myself, having been in a bit of a release frenzy myself (and not specifically interested in this feature myself); I can't say how much feedback there was over it, but the posts are all still there (ok, I just went back and read them: someone did report what I'm seeing, Evernote employee Emerick requested logs, but didn't get a reply, in the forum at least). That being said, of course we prefer to have bugs ironed out earlier before ship; it's just rarely feasible to get them all. This one does seem like a somewhat major oops, since it's a bulleted new feature, but maybe we both have some special feature to our system that's triggering it (my Win 10 Anniversary just hit last week, for example).

jefito,

dear me,I did not mean to insult anybody but staggering from subzero user knowledge in the Evernote world to level 1 on the upward open scale and very, very much liking the idea of Evernote allowing preview of my stuff on Google Drive (in fact as soon as I learnt that Evernote and Google have taken up a serious (business) relationship, with Evernote actually soon shacking up with Google I started to move some of my newer video tutorials from Dropbox to Google, meaning upgrade from free to pay user) I would indeed like to feel reassured that it is an Evernote Win version problem and not one I have to resolve. Where would I start? 

My dig at Microsoft's behaviour is part fun, part bitter disappointment. My first encounter with Win 10 was enough to loathe it. The much hyped Anni update made what? A few changes in the start menu and the latest cracker elevating my system to 14393.222 took half a day before download was completed and once I gave the go ahead I had to literally leave the room because in a major Win update there is a 50 % chance of something not working as before or worse.

On the serious side I meant to say I would loathe to see Evernote going the Microsoft way. I lashed out on the Fujitsu ScanSnap and have loved that device from day 1. If that little scanner had been promoted by Microsoft for integration into their OneNote I doubt I could still use it in that way.

My hope in Evernote is indeed that it be ever and ever more my reliable source of electronic document storage, also consolidating umpteen notes on my hobby software (Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom). I am fully aware that software always ripens with the customer and as long as an icon does nothing whatever I can live with it. The problem - to my limited knowledge - could be due to the fact that Google may have made some changes which need to be implemented by Evernote. Similar problems are known to happen quite regularly in banking software which can be quite frustrating. 

So, all is not lost, at least you got me now ;)

Cheers, John

On 01/10/2016 at 8:06 PM, jefito said:

Ah, so it is, thanks.

I'd assumed the GD connectivity required an auth step first so I assumed the button would be on the main toolbar or hidden away in the main options. In my defence my Evernote window is generally not wide enough for the note toolbar to show all its icons, so it wasn't visible. Also the painfully trendy light-grey-on-white colour scheme hardly draws attention.

It just does not work for me.

If I join a file located in the Google Drive, it just adds the file the same way it always happened.

Reading this thread, I realize I have to use the Google Drive icon in the note menu bar.

If I click it, a window briefly appears, then disappear immediately.

The feature does not seem to be ready for public release.

@Chantal Leonard

hello, surely there has been sufficient feedback on the Google Drive integration problem.

Can you please officially acknowledge same and give us some idea by when a bug-/problem fix can be expected. 

After all it was announced as a key feature for Evernote 6.3. So please do put us into the picture.

Thank you so much

John Longney

edit:

so, here we have another weekend, but unfortunately still no answer.

In all fairness however I would expect to have some sort of acknowledgement early next week. Please!

Or do I need to raise a support ticket?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

Is there a new upgrade?

The current version is still 6.3.3.3502 (and there's no newer beta release out yet). Help / Check for Updates will tell you if there's a newer version available.

28 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

Is there a new upgrade?

No, though would be difficult to "sell" as such :lol:

Do us users worry how it bugs get fixed? Not really I'd say - on the other hand, unless @jefito is part of the Evernote team - a little  more open communication would do no harm either.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

unless @jefito is part of the Evernote team

@jefito is not. Evernote employees may be identified by the words "Evernote Employee" under their forum avatar.

I think that the point of @fredhammersmith's question was what was the cause of your exclamation "Google Drive integration working". Was it something that you needed to configure? Something that they fixed on their end?

40 minutes ago, jefito said:

@jefito is not. Evernote employees may be identified by the words "Evernote Employee" under their forum avatar.

I think that the point of @fredhammersmith's question was what was the cause of your exclamation "Google Drive integration working". Was it something that you needed to configure? Something that they fixed on their end?

@jefito

sorry, did not know that Evernote staff are actually identified as employees. Will remember, I promise :)

I am truly pleased that Evernote, perhaps  together with Google sorted out the gateways. I did no more than click the ever so tempting drive icon in Evernote and this time - miracles happen :D Google Drive opened. Select file and tada - the note has got a link to stuff on the Drive with preview. F.a.b.u.l.o.u.s, to say the least.

Over the years I downloaded YT tutorials in Terabyte quantity stored in folders on various external drives. Now in retirement I am going through my learning course (Photoshop, Lightroom and suchlike) in a more clear-pathed way. Instead of migrating my current learning tutorials on yet another drive in-house I decided to upload to a sky drive and use Evernote to build up my own reference library. I prepare in advance with what I want to go through next, migrate appropriate stuff already in Evernote and now I can easily set links to the videos as well. With Photoshop open, Evernote ready to take notes, learning is so much easier, in fact fun.

I found video upload to Evernote somewhat slow (yes, my country offers good or excellent speed in select areas only, Berlin,the capital being the prime example. Way down in the area of the money-earners and supporters of  the nation (Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi to name a few) speeds vary from fast crawl to super-slow crawl). Connection to Google Drive is at least fast crawl, plus stable. As soon as integration was announced sometime earlier this year I decided to keep my premium member status going.

So, whether it was fixed by drive-by or through Win update this week, or at the Evernote end, who cares? Where I do care is what I would call - blowing the trumpet is all very well but not owning up to a problem is somewhat poor. 

I hope my today's post finishes the Google Drive episode in a friendly way.

(now that I will using this feature I darn well hope it won't get broken, not ever :angry:, so watch out Evernote!) ;)

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

So, whether it was fixed by drive-by or through Win update this week, or at the Evernote end, who cares?

The people who take their time to aid other Evernote users in the forums care; if anyone else has the same problem, it's good to know what actual solutions there are, if any. Also, the forums are open and searchable; any solutions that someone might find via forum search, or say, Google, can also be helpful to a fellow Evernote user.

I admire your good-humoured patience and persistence, JohnLongney, and am glad you now appear content. Before attempting to use this new Google Drive feature I had simply accessed a file on Google Drive directly, right-clicked to bring up the 'Send To' menu, and then sent the file to the desired notebook previously opened on Evernote. That method had invariably worked fine. But then (coinciding with the new EN facility?) it ceased to function; I was baffled by an error message: 'the cef_visit_storage could not be found in the dynamic link library . . .  [name of folder]'. Reverting to previous iterations of EN failed to solve the problem.

So, on trying out the new EN feature I located the Google Drive icon on the toolbar, as suggested by an earlier contributor, was obliged to sign in (again) to Google Drive, but then encountered a permissions request from Evernote that they should be allowed to 'manage' my contacts. I cherish my Google contacts, and I absolutely do _not_ want them messed up by new, inadequately tested software, using me as a dispensable labrat. I would appreciate readers' advice. Should I take the risk?

Heffalump

1 hour ago, jefito said:

The people who take their time to aid other Evernote users in the forums care; if anyone else has the same problem, it's good to know what actual solutions there are, if any. Also, the forums are open and searchable; any solutions that someone might find via forum search, or say, Google, can also be helpful to a fellow Evernote user.

Of course I understand your point. Feedback is a vital source for future help.

However, I know that on my side I changed nothing at all. As far as Microsoft is concerned (re this weeks patch session) I doubt that it is in their intention to help a competitor along. As my Google Drive Desktop is still on Version 1.31.2873.2758 (will be updating afterwards) I would not suspect anything there either.  Harmless drive-by with a synchro session? Or, likeliest of all, somebody putting the plug into the right socket at the Evernote end?

Yes, I too would like to know the facts. I am new to this forum here, but my ex-employer (an American-owned company) put the highest grade of business ethics on acting fair with customers, suppliers and staff because, however hard you try, things can go wrong. 

1 hour ago, Heffalump said:

I admire your good-humoured patience and persistence, JohnLongney, and am glad you now appear content. Before attempting to use this new Google Drive feature I had simply accessed a file on Google Drive directly, right-clicked to bring up the 'Send To' menu, and then sent the file to the desired notebook previously opened on Evernote. That method had invariably worked fine. But then (coinciding with the new EN facility?) it ceased to function; I was baffled by an error message: 'the cef_visit_storage could not be found in the dynamic link library . . .  [name of folder]'. Reverting to previous iterations of EN failed to solve the problem.

So, on trying out the new EN feature I located the Google Drive icon on the toolbar, as suggested by an earlier contributor, was obliged to sign in (again) to Google Drive, but then encountered a permissions request from Evernote that they should be allowed to 'manage' my contacts. I cherish my Google contacts, and I absolutely do _not_ want them messed up by new, inadequately tested software, using me as a dispensable labrat. I would appreciate readers' advice. Should I take the risk?

Heffalump

Heffalump, thanks, yes I am basically a more mellow guy (ripened with age so to speak) but with an inbuilt persistence when it comes to business matters. I do not want to make anybody feel unhappy or personally responsible but just to proudly announce something and then hurriedly withdraw is not the kind of behaviour I have much to say for.

Now, to address your perfectly understandable reservation re granting Evernote authority to manage your contacts. To my knowledge the wording is based on the rather strange Google terminology created for the Android world, which of course they kept on for Windows as well. For my phone I had to grant access to contacts to a photo app I wanted to install because this app also has a share function. Same applies to file managers etc. In other words, these applications need your express consent to use your contacts. The word "manage" is not meant to imply that on their own they have any rights to manipulate or make use of them. 

Don't know what it is like elsewhere in the world, but my ISP provider, slowbot Deutsche Telekom breaks the connection once every 24 hours just for a few seconds in the early hours (otherwise the service would fall into the professional category, which it certainly is not) and by doing so, I might be allocated a new IP number from a junction not necessarily very near to my home area. On such occasions Google reliably alerts immediately by mail (I use an android tablet quite often in bed at that time) that somebody logged into my account from area soandso. No doubt, Google is nosey, they like to know where you live, but if you want to use Google maps as navigation assistent they will find out anyway. In my case they know my name and address, take money from my account when I buy through them - but I have never had a single occasion to doubt their willingness and sincerity regarding data protection. The two-way identification either through Google authenticator or SMS service offered by Evernote, Google and many others is adequate enough for my feeling of security. In the relationship Google vs Evernote I am pretty confident Google set most of the terms anyway. Of course, as always, in the interest of all parties concerned.

My personal advice is yes, go-ahead if you prefer the sleeker way of linking. If you are happy to carry with the conventional method which I know works, then there is no need.

BTW:  You can withdraw any third-party rights with just one click at any time. Google never queries why , though I am sure it goes into their statistics. 

The two odd little hiccups when a new item is linked through the icon path are on first contact somewhat off putting because Evernote does not immediately show the attachment's proper name and clicking on the item for refresh pops up the Google account login. So far entering the email address did the trick. Password was not necessary. Whether Google wanted another little safeguard built in or whether Evernote's API should be a little more responsive, who knows? 

// If anybody could provide me with a link to the official Evernote helpfile/handbook I'd very much appreciate that. I keep thinking I can't be the only person who stumble over a few oddities. Perhaps I am doing it all wrong, after all I read some time ago that Evernote is so clever that stuffing documents into various notebooks is totally redundant. Old school as I am however I prefer to find things in a certain place and not every time through sophisticated search. By helpfile I did mean some more in-depth guidance, beyond casual paperwork exchange and suchlike //. 

JohnLongney: My sincere thanks to you for your considered response and helpful personal advice. Heffalump, I suspect, is similarly ripened, surviving hitherto by means of a healthily sceptical and eclectic response to the plethora of technological innovations by which we may be seduced in this digital age.  Notwithstanding the reticence, as a Premium subscriber I have found the compactness, portability and versatility of Evernote a vast improvement over the paper-based systems on which I have previously been dependent.

As a long term, mainly domestic user of Google's services I have no negative experiences to contradict the positive ones you cite. I also share your faith (as distinct from justified, true belief) in Google's 'willingness and sincerity regarding data protection', their respect for individual privacy, and their reliability (only once did Google make a hideous Hundesfrühstück of my precious store of bookmarks). Your ISP, being based in Germany, operates in the context of relatively strict EU regulations. My ISP, in West Africa, has no such constraints, so users of internet services are more reliant on the corporate integrity of multinationals (such as Google) than on national or regional legislative protections.

So, given also what you infer about the meaning in Googlespeak of the term 'manage' (in relation to my contacts), and the possibility of cancelling third-party rights if necessary, I shall go ahead and try it out. Thanks again.

//As a postscript, I too stumble over oddities and baffling elements in Evernote, so echo your request for a link to 'the official Evernote helpfile/handbook', if such indeed exists.//

hello @Heffalump

earlier I posted quite a lengthy reply which regrettably did not seem to work. In view of recent news re the Mac version I'd advise you to regularly backup your local data. An extra year as generous compensation may not be quite the same for you.

Really excited to see some updates to the functionality of Ink Note for the Windows version of Evernote.

However, it is still NOT searchable ... unlike the handwritten entries for Android version of Evernote.

When would EN ever get to make handwritten notes in "Ink Note" searchable??

Archived