Possible to search which notes were previously in a different Notebook?

peripatew

I'm trying to hone my GTD+Evernote rhythm.  I'm trying to use something similar to David Allen's Evernote suggestions, rather than TSW.  TSW's over-tagging was hurting my brain.  SO, right now for example I have a Work and Home notebook, and as I complete those things and put them in my Cabinet notebook, or I need to move them to my Waiting notebook, I'm wondering if I can search within Cabinet/Waiting for notes that were previously in Work/Home?

I'm trying to avoid tagging everything in Work with @Work, but it seems that when I move something to Cabinet, I then lose some information as to what the context is?

Any thoughts?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, peripatew said:

I'm trying to hone my GTD+Evernote rhythm.  I'm trying to use something similar to David Allen's Evernote suggestions, rather than TSW.  TSW's over-tagging was hurting my brain.  SO, right now for example I have a Work and Home notebook, and as I complete those things and put them in my Cabinet notebook, or I need to move them to my Waiting notebook, I'm wondering if I can search within Cabinet/Waiting for notes that were previously in Work/Home?

I'm trying to avoid tagging everything in Work with @Work, but it seems that when I move something to Cabinet, I then lose some information as to what the context is?

My process is to use tags instead of notebooks
I can then search for tag:Cabinet/Waiting and tag:Work/Home which might give the type of results you're looking for

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My process is to use tags instead of notebooks
I can then search for tag:Cabinet/Waiting and tag:Work/Home which might give the type of results you're looking for

Thanks for sharing your process.  I started with tags, but prefer the Notebooks for general organization.  So I was trying to find a work around for easy review of things in specific notebooks that are waiting.  Perhaps tagging with Waiting, and then a saved search for the Notebook which excludes them would be better.

• Level 5*

You could have Tasks, Waiting, Cabinet notebooks and have @Work and @Home as context tags.  Create saved searches and put them in your shortcuts bar for Work tag:@work, Work tag:@home, Waiting tag:@work, etc.  That way you won't loose your context.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, peripatew said:

I'm wondering if I can search within Cabinet/Waiting for notes that were previously in Work/Home?

The answer to this question is that you cannot, at least easily: each note has exactly one notebook, and there's no notebook history or Previous Notebook field available for you to search on. It's not even clear to me that Note History (a premium feature) contains notebook or tag changes.

The nice thing about tags is that you can have multiple per note, and therefore you can retain prior state if it's important to your process.

Archived