EXB file damaged, how i can import or rebuild my local notebooks?

Hi,

i am a free user. Yesterday, after an hard disk malfunction, my exb database is damaged. Most of my notes were in local notebooks.

In Windows i cant copy or move the exb file, even with linux cd boot. So i copied with DD utility the 99.9% of my file skipping bad sectors.

I can open the resultin EXB file with sqliteadmin or db browser, and i can see my notes in row and tables. I try to export and import the tables in a new exb file generated with evernote, but not working, i cant see my notes.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry but we always emphasize that local notebooks require backups,  because your local hard drive has the only existing copy of those notes,  and if something goes wrong,  there's zero fall-back.  I tend to keep several copies of my database backup in different places just in case of disaster.  I can't suggest how you should proceed - it depends on the number of notes,  and the type of content (images,  links etc).  Worst case - you are able to see at least some of the content in SQLIte,  so you could recreate your note contents and re-import them to an Evernote local notebook.  As you go through the database you may find several files with part-content for the same note,  so you can import those back to the correct note in the new database.  There's no way that I'm aware of to repair a file if Evernote can't read it,  so I'm afraid the rest is pure manual recreation.    :(

-And don't be stingy with those backups in future!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, GeorgeLeo said:

Thank you too.

I have recovered my exb with DD.

Next, with db browser i export my most important notes, and recreate my evernote. Next time i need to create some backup profile! I do it for the my customers, and for me never....

;)

If your EXB file isn't that big, move it to a shared storage drive, like OneDrive or Dropbox. Then when you quit evernote it gets sync'd up. Works for a few hundred MB, maybe a gig or so depending on your speed, but not so much if larger than that. 

Even if that does work, that is a convenience. Still should back up separately.

14 hours ago, EdH said:

If your EXB file isn't that big, move it to a shared storage drive, like OneDrive or Dropbox. Then when you quit evernote it gets sync'd up. Works for a few hundred MB, maybe a gig or so depending on your speed, but not so much if larger than that. 

Even if that does work, that is a convenience. Still should back up separately.

Be VERY careful if you do this!!! A transaction file is created while running - which will then be synced. If you have EN running on more than one windows computer, the odds are astronomically high that you will destroy your database. Backing up to a synced are is fine. But I would not recommend running the database actively there.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, dconnet said:

Be VERY careful if you do this!!! A transaction file is created while running - which will then be synced. If you have EN running on more than one windows computer, the odds are astronomically high that you will destroy your database. Backing up to a synced are is fine. But I would not recommend running the database actively there.

That is a good point. I wasn't assuming this was on 2+ PCs though because if it was, the OP wouldn't have had a potential data problem. He could have just gotten it off of the 2nd PC.

Archived