Problems annotating in Sierra

Go to solution Solved by BSR,

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, ChuckReece said:

When annotating a PDF in Evernote 6.9, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to continue annotating a PDF that was previously annotated. Is anyone else seeing this problem? 

I'm not having a problem.
I right-click on the pdf, select annotate
I'm able to repeat this multiple times
What are you seeing that's stopping you

edited: As with other posts, I'm having problems with annotating beyond the first page

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ChuckReece said:

When annotating a PDF in Evernote 6.9, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to continue annotating a PDF that was previously annotated. Is anyone else seeing this problem? 

Yes. PDF annotation is broken for me after upgrading to macOS Sierra.  I am able to add text and highlighting only to the first page of a PDF, and nowhere else. Previous annotations on PDFs cannot be edited, as they don't show up in the annotation window, only in the thumbnail.  I also cannot search PDF OCR at all.

* I do NOT own a Fujitsu ScanSnap.

On 9/25/2016 at 4:29 AM, dallascernment said:

Yes. PDF annotation is broken for me after upgrading to macOS Sierra.  I am able to add text and highlighting only to the first page of a PDF, and nowhere else. Previous annotations on PDFs cannot be edited, as they don't show up in the annotation window, only in the thumbnail.  I also cannot search PDF OCR at all.

Same issue for me. I put in a ticket with Evernote's technical team on this. I use PDF annotation for all of my textbook/homework readings, so I've had to resort to running Evernote for Windows using Parallels (not a cheap solution).

The same for me. PDF annotation and full text search are broken.

Here are some crash stack trace might be helpful:

Exception Name: NSRangeException
Description: *** -[NSBigMutableString characterAtIndex:]: Index 0 out of bounds; string length 0
User Info: (null)

0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffbc20f52b __exceptionPreprocess + 171
1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fffd08e7cad objc_exception_throw + 48
2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffbc28da0d +[NSException raise:format:] + 205
3   Foundation                          0x00007fffbdbef27c -[NSBigMutableString characterAtIndex:] + 102
4   AppKit                              0x00007fffba0c6e6c -[NSTextView _mouseInside:] + 1363
5   AppKit                              0x00007fffba0db325 -[NSTextView mouseMoved:] + 588
6   AppKit                              0x00007fffba04d2d5 -[NSTrackingArea mouseMoved:] + 150
7   AppKit                              0x00007fffba68c1c2 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 2508
8   AppKit                              0x00007fffba68b42a -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) sendEvent:] + 541
9   AppKit                              0x00007fffba52c2df -[NSApplication(NSEvent) sendEvent:] + 2915
10  Evernote                            0x0000000108c787c3 Evernote + 2561987
11  AppKit                              0x00007fffb9e12009 -[NSApplication run] + 1002
12  AppKit                              0x00007fffb9ddca8a NSApplicationMain + 1237
13  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fffd11c5255 start + 1
14  ???                                 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1

2 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Do any of you have Skitch installed on the Mac? Just curious. I do all my annotating in the Skitch app itself and it's fine. The in-app annotating is broken for me as well though when it comes to doing it straight in Evernote. :(

Skitch annotation has the same problem in PDF for me.  I can only edit the first page of the document.

This is the part where I mention that Skitch for Mac has not been updated since version 2.7.8 in 2014. :angry:

1 minute ago, dallascernment said:

Skitch annotation has the same problem in PDF for me.  I can only edit the first page of the document.

This is the part where I mention that Skitch for Mac has not been updated since version 2.7.8 in 2014. :angry:

It has been forever since it was updated. :( I have no clue as to why some are able to use it and some aren't. Just gonna consider myself lucky on this one and hope they get it worked out for those who need it sooner rather than later. I wish I had more to offer on the subject but I'm not technical enough to know what might be causing it. :( 

10 minutes ago, dallascernment said:

Same for me. Hadn't considered trying Skitch to annotate so briefly had a glimmer of hope. With 2 large assignments due this week, this has really screwed my workflow... everything takes longer when you have to think about how you're going to workaround this kind of thing :-(

1 hour ago, sitoyne said:

Same for me. Hadn't considered trying Skitch to annotate so briefly had a glimmer of hope. With 2 large assignments due this week, this has really screwed my workflow... everything takes longer when you have to think about how you're going to workaround this kind of thing :-(

Likewise. Thought of Skitch as well but it behaves exactly the same as Evernote.

I noticed that annotating JPEGs/images works fine, no issues, on Evernote with Sierra. I relayed this to Evernote's Technical Support team.

Just tested this... If you have an iPad (or Android tablet I assume), you can annotate on there and the markup is saved and visible on the Mac, including the annotation summary at the top if you use it.

I prefer highlighting on my Mac but it's a workaround until this is fixed at least.

I am having the same problem - I cannot annotate my PDFs after importing/dragging them into Evernote. It's very inconvenient because it is my primary method for taking notes or providing feedback to others. Everything was fine until I upgraded to MacOS Sierra. Please help!

I have also had ongoing issues with annotation, it has totally ruined my study life this term!!   I have been waiting for a fix in updates but so far nothing has worked. I've uninstalled as well but no better. Issues on several different macs with ElCapitan.  Even notes annotated on iPhone app don't show with annotation on sync to mac.  I want a refund!!

I can't annotate anything.  I can't even edit the first page of any document as some of you can.  The annotation page opens upon clicking the annotation button, but the annotation tools don't replace the mouse pointer (as they should) when I click on them.  Quite frustrating since I rely on Evernote annotation capabilities to perform my professional obligations.  It's nice to read that other people have the same problem, but we need a solution! 

Like everyone else, I too am having problems annotating, and it's gotten progressively worse. At first, the annotate tools were just fickle--meaning, if I wasn't able to type letters at first, I could usually get it work by toggling to another tool like Arrow, and then toggling back. And then that didn't even work... and then, I could only Annotate the first page... and now, nothing.

I don't get any error messages or anything--it just doesn't let me interact with the page after I select a tool.

Bummer.

Same here. I thought it might have just been my computer acting up, so I restarted a few times -- but still not working.

Like others, I've managed to get it to highlight on the first page (occasionally), but not on the second page, and not after I've already made some annotations.

Please help!

(Evernote 6.9; Skitch 2.7.8; mac OS 10.12)

I have updated to macOS Sierra and installed the corresponding Evernote update, and annotation is still not working.  It's been a week. I use Evernote for work, and if this is not resolved soon, will be canceling my premium subscription and switching to another service. Any suggestions? I looked at Apple Notes, but it is still not robust enough for my work needs.

• Like 1

After upgrade to Sierra I'm having the same issues as others.  Temporary workaround for me is to open the pdf within Evernote by clicking on the header.  Since I have Acrobat Pro it opens in that program and I can annotate and save the doc and the annotations are visible in Evernote.  I'm willing to do this for a while until Evernote addresses the issue. 

Hi everyone,

First thing, I would like to thank everyone for writing in and reporting this. As you all already may be aware, there are several issues with Annotation Mode in the Mac client after the macOS Sierra update. I wanted to drop and and let everyone know that our developers are working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. I don't have an ETA on when that will be, but it's a high priority fix. I truly appreciate everyone's patience as we work to resolve this. Thanks again.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, BSR said:

Hi everyone,

First thing, I would like to thank everyone for writing in and reporting this. As you all already may be aware, there are several issues with Annotation Mode in the Mac client after the macOS Sierra update. I wanted to drop and and let everyone know that our developers are working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. I don't have an ETA on when that will be, but it's a high priority fix. I truly appreciate everyone's patience as we work to resolve this. Thanks again.

Sadly we have to report this.. Don't you test your updates before you push them?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, xFreddie said:

Sadly we have to report this.. Don't you test your updates before you push them?

Would that be like the testers reviewing the current beta version?

You might want to stay out of the beta program.

6 minutes ago, Tilman said:

I just updated to 6.9.2, but not sure what was fixed. Annotation still does not work. Is there a decent alternate product to use now that this has gone on for too long? I'm done with Evernote. 

Just tried 6.9.2 to no avail. I moved my critical items to OneNote, and it's working for now, but I find it to be clunky. Happy to hear other suggestions. I'm jumping ship. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Nick95 said:

Work has completely stopped for me because of this, 

53 minutes ago, Tilman said:

I just updated to 6.9.2, but not sure what was fixed. Annotation still does not work. Is there a decent alternate product to use now that this has gone on for too long

42 minutes ago, dallascernment said:

Just tried 6.9.2 to no avail. 

I'm not letting the PDF annotation issues slow me down.  There are various dedicated apps to use; you can even use the built in Mac Preview app

• Like 1
On 03/10/2016 at 4:59 AM, BSR said:

Hi everyone,

OK, updated to 6.9.2 and still no annotation. This is the ONLY reason I pay for a premium account! Please don't make me look elsewhere... I've been an Evernote user (and advocate) for over 8 years. So disappointed right now :-(

I have updated to Evernote 6.9.2 but the 'annotate on pdf' function is still not working. It's been more than a week since this function has stopped working for me. Can we have an ETA on when this will be fixed (for real)? Thanks!

I am on the list of people that this has impacted and I hope Evernote gets it resolved quickly.

I am a long time Evernote user, signed up for Premium features the moment they went live, and I have never had a complaint. However I must say that this is pretty disappointing. This is an issue that is only impacting paying customers and there has been no public communication to let us know what is going on, which leads me to doubt that there will be any compensation for those that are not getting the service that they are paying for. It is also frustrating because this is the reason Apples releases beta version of their software to developers.

I am not being dramatic and threatening to jump ship. I am confident that Evernote will get it fixed. They have a proven track record of doing so. I just don't like it when companies start to compromise on communicating when things aren't perfect. Many of us (I wish I could say all - there are those out there that do) do not expect perfection. However, we do expect good honest and forthcoming communication when things aren't at full awesome.

• Solution

Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop in and provide an update on this.

I'd like to thank you all for your continued patience as our developers work on resolving the annotation issues encountered post-Sierra. The fix for the issue where annotation tools are unresponsive/only respond intermittently to markups will be in version 6.10 Beta 2. This should be out sometime next week hopefully. More information will be available here as I receive it. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

• Like 4
On 10/10/2016 at 0:03 PM, BSR said:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop in and provide an update on this.

I'd like to thank you all for your continued patience as our developers work on resolving the annotation issues encountered post-Sierra. The fix for the issue where annotation tools are unresponsive/only respond intermittently to markups will be in version 6.10 Beta 2. This should be out sometime next week hopefully. More information will be available here as I receive it. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this update. I noticed that 6.10 Beta 2 was available for download this morning. However, I am still only able to annotate on the first page of a PDF-- I can't annotate on any other pages. Please advise. Thank you.

On 25/09/2016 at 11:29 AM, dallascernment said:

I have exactly the same problem and I just bought premium version today :-( :-( Any solution ?

Thank you

Émilie

Same for me.  I was able to annotate the first page.  I'm running 6.10 beta 2 and OS X 10.12.1 Beta.  Interestingly if I position pdf document between pages I can drag a shape over on to the next page and release the mouse.  The box stays only on the original page, but I can then annotate the next page.  I was able to do this with arrows, shapes, and the highlighter.  Stamps between pages did not seem to allow me to annotate the next page below. 

Untitled.png

Edited by Lightsquared
Found out additional information so edited response.
  • Like 1

I'm running Beta 2 and this issue is unresolved; like many Evernote users, I rely upon PDF annotation for academic purposes so the total failing of this functionality is wrecking my workflow. Is there any update on a fix seeing as the latest beta has clearly not served this purpose?

Hi everyone,

It looks like there were some complications with this in Beta 2, but the full fix will hopefully be in Beta 3 of version 6.10. Please keep your eyes on the Product Feedback thread as it will be posted there once it is available:

Mac Product Feedback Thread

I sincerely appreciate everyone's patience, I know how important this feature is and our team is working hard to fix it. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, thw88z said:

C'MON!!! Fix this. Is there reimbursement available for users????

An easy workaround is to use Preview for pdf annotations.

As to reimbursement, we are talking about free software provided by Evernote. 

This is still not resolved, despite the beta update. Besides annotations not working, a percentage of my notes has begun losing their attachments. This is devastating. 

All of this shortly after increasing prices for the premium version with 40% and right around the time  I was using Evernote to do my bookkeeping and taxes. 

I have been forced to invest in Acrobat Reader Pro to be able to finish my tax filing. I think, at the very least, a refund and an apology are in order here.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, World of Wils said:

This is still not resolved, despite the beta update. 

I have been forced to invest in Acrobat Reader Pro to be able to finish my tax filing. I think, at the very least, a refund and an apology are in order here.

Did you see the note about the fix being delayed until Beta 3

>>Besides annotations not working, a percentage of my notes has begun losing their attachments. This is devastating

There is a known bug with attachments.  Evernote detected it, and notified impacted users.  The software was patched in version 6.9.2, and I was assuming was fixed in Beta 2

Personally, I rely on my backups and the Note History feature to recover from lost data

>>I have been forced to invest in Acrobat Reader Pro to be able to finish my tax filing.

A fine product, but I would have thought Mac Preview to be an adequate alternative for annotations.

Just now, DTLow said:

>>Besides annotations not working, a percentage of my notes has begun losing their attachments. This is devastating

There is a known bug with attachments.  Evernote detected it, and notified impacted users.  The software was patched in version 6.9.2, and I was assuming was fixed in Beta 2

Personally, I rely on my backups and the Note History feature to recover from lost data

I received said notice, and it came with one year of Evernote Premium for free to compensate for the trouble. I haven't noticed any missing attachments, though.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, dallascernment said:

I received said notice, and it came with one year of Evernote Premium for free to compensate for the trouble. I haven't noticed any missing attachments, though.

If you contact support, at      Contact Evernote Support   they will give you a list of the notes impacted; I had 2    

I am having the same problems! Super frustrated right now! I can only annotate the first page of my PDF's since downloading macOS Sierra. This is really setting me back in my school work and I don't have time for this! They better get this fixed fast or start issuing some refunds!

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-19 at 2:00 PM, tyrow said:

I am having the same problems! Super frustrated right now! I can only annotate the first page of my PDF's since downloading macOS Sierra. This is really setting me back in my school work and I don't have time for this! They better get this fixed fast or start issuing some refunds!

Please explain why Evernote is the only tool you can use to annotate pdfs.  
I wouldn't let this be a setback in school work.
I'm using the built in Mac Preview app until this gets fixed

@DTLow - so are you suggesting I don't need Evernote after all?? I dont like preview... my students are used to Evernote and the stickers etc...I have systems in place.. why are we having this conversation??? You are a Guru and you are telling people to use a crappy native OSX app...

Fix the app EV

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, thw88z said:

@DTLow - so are you suggesting I don't need Evernote after all?? 

Not at all; I was suggesting a workaround until the PDF annotation issue gets resolved.
No one should feel they are prevented from annotating pdfs or having a setback in school work.

PDF annotation is a known problem, being worked on, and will likely be fixed in the next release

Hey everyone,

I discovered the same problem and found an easy workaround, but it can take quite long when you have a lot of pages in the PDF-document that you plan to annotate. I opened the document with the built-in preview app and exported a page as .jpeg-file (other picture formats might also work - haven't checked them yet). Then import the .jpeg file into your Evernote. The annotation feature for the .jpeg-file worked without any problems on my MacBook Air with Sierra installed. Maybe someone has an idea on making the .jpeg-exporting-process a little less time-taking? Via the preview-app I can only export one page at a time. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, SlyWolf said:

I discovered the same problem and found an easy workaround, but it can take quite long when you have a lot of pages in the PDF-document that you plan to annotate. I opened the document with the built-in preview app and exported a page as .jpeg-file (other picture formats might also work - haven't checked them yet). Then import the .jpeg file into your Evernote. The annotation feature for the .jpeg-file worked without any problems on my MacBook Air with Sierra installed. Maybe someone has an idea on making the .jpeg-exporting-process a little less time-taking? Via the preview-app I can only export one page at a time. 

While you have the pdf opened in Preview, you could make use of the annotiation features.
Its a different featureset but it might be adequate

Unfortunately even with the recently-released Beta 3, the annotation works only if I use the right-side pane to select a new page beyond the first to annotate. If I scroll down to a new page to continue annotating, it does not let me annotate-- or at least not reliably.

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-20 at 8:26 PM, Mike_Rametta said:

Unfortunately even with the recently-released Beta 3, the annotation works only if I use the right-side pane to select a new page beyond the first to annotate. If I scroll down to a new page to continue annotating, it does not let me annotate-- or at least not reliably.

4 hours ago, Shaaban said:

I have the same problem and it's annoying. when will this be fixed ??

I kow they're working on this and have it partly fixed

I'm using @mike_rametta's solution to advance pages

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I kow they're working on this and have it partly fixed

I'm using @mike_rametta's solution to advance pages

Now another new problem has cropped up-- in the middle of annotating a multi-page PDF, Evernote crashes. I'm copying and pasting the problem report and sending as ticket to Evernote.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, peterjuni said:

Same problem here. Is there any sign from the company that they are working on it?

I'm participating in the beta program and can tell  you the problem has been partially resolved.

I am able to annotate page 1, and subsequent pages.

Outstanding is scrolling; For annotating,  I have to  use  the thumbnails in the sidebar to move between pages.

Annotating and organizing PDFs (and being able to search them) across multiple devices is THE primary reason I use Evernote. The only program that I've found that has comparable functionality is OneNote (free) which I switched from to Evernote (expensive subscription) when I got a Mac. The inability to annotate after updating to Sierra is seriously disrupting my workflow. Please fix this ASAP before i have to go back to onenote

I just bought an yearly premium subscription because I need to use the annotation tools on PDFs and just found out the function is broken for Sierra users since almost 2 months! Sierra beta was available for developers months before the official launch and after 50 days since the OS is officially out you still are not able to guarantee a basic functionality for people who choose to pay a premium account. I don't remember you had so much problems when you decided to limit basic accounts to only 2 devices, to introduce a ridiculous "plus" account and to raise fees for paid accounts. You should definitively fix the problem as soon as possible or consider a refund because you're currently asking us a lot of money not giving what you're still promising, even if you know the issue.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, thw88z said:

Hello Evernote?? is there anybody out there? as Pink Floyd says?

2 minutes ago, thw88z said:

I think it is time for everyone to hit Twitter and Facebook...

Not sure what you're looking for - this is a user forum, and there are users participating

• Level 5*

It looks like the annotation problems are still being worked on, so we'll have to continue to be patient

As I pointed out earlier

1. I am able to annotate page 1, and subsequent pages.
    Outstanding is scrolling; For annotating,  I have to  use  the thumbnails in the sidebar to move between pages.
  2. A separate issue is using Preview for annotation.
    The pdf appears to be read only, and a new copy is created.
    I create the new copy on my desktop and drag it into my note to replace the original

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, dallascernment said:

Considering that Skitch hasn't been updated since 2014 and was even killed on some other platforms, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not a Skitch user.  Is this related to the pdf annotation issue in os Sierra?

On 10/28/2016 at 8:48 PM, DTLow said:

I'm not a Skitch user.  Is this related to the pdf annotation issue in os Sierra?

Skitch PDF annotation seems to use the same underlying interface and code as within Evernote.  Skitch PDF annotation is broken in Sierra in the same way as within Evernote.

Annotating with scrolling still not working in 6.10 :(. Although the work around is to "scroll" down using the thumbnail images not the mouse or trackpad, annotations seem to work fine if you select each page individually..... its better than nothing. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, trish.koh said:

Same problem as everyone else! Previously I could still annotate other pages if i exit out of the document, re-entered and played around with the annotating tools. Now only first page annotations no matter what i do!

I found I could annotate other pages if I used the sidebar thumbnails to switch pages.  Scrolling didn't work for me

Argh, would be nice to hear some acknowledgement from the Evernote team. OS Sierra has been available to them for testing for months, surely this was one of the first things tested. 

I've moved on to annotating on my phone but now even that is causing problems when viewing the files in Evernote as annotations become a vague grey smudge. 

Evernote fault.png

• Like 1

Now evernote has really messed up. Just downloaded the new update and I can't open files saved in a note as an attachment. The only way for me to open/edit a word document, for example, it is to "save" the note in a different location on my computer and then reattach it to the note after my edits have been made. This is suboptimal. Please help!