(Archived) Evernote on the Kindle?

Are there any plans to integrate Evernote with the Kindle?

Now that Amazon has announced the Kindle Development Kit (KDK), it would seem like a logical place for Evernote to jump into the Kindle game.

As I read books on the Kindle, I have become a huge fan of being able to highlight and save content to the Kindle notes section. However, I found that I would much rather have that content within Evernote. So, I usually copy it all from the Kindle to Evernote every once in a while. It would be fantastic to be able to save directly to Evernote while reading a book (of course, tagged with the book title). It was within just a couple week of receiving the Kindle that I wished it had Evernote integration.

+ 1 I also have been clipping info from the kindle into a file, then copying it to my computer and importing into EN.

Even if we don't have full EN on Kindle, it would be nice to have a way to sync our Kindle clippings directly to EN.

Our basic mobile web UI (http://www.evernote.com/m) does work from the Kindle. The Kindle SDK includes some challenges for Evernote (no access to display HTML content), and the Kindle business model is a bit tricky (esp regarding network bandwidth costs), but we're certainly tracking this closely.

Thanks

For me, even better than a kindle client would be a Windows utility that pulls kindle clippings into EN when the kindle is connected to your Windows machine. Maybe one of the scripting gurus on the forum will come up with something?

I too was worried about the free content since Amazon limits you to 100KB/user/month. But, if you consider that there are about 180 words per KB of english text, that gives you 18,000 words per month. And, an average page in a book has about 250 words per page so you can save 72 full pages of text per month! That's a LOT of clipping to be doing in one month.

I understand that you can use the mobile UI, but I don't want to leave the book/page I'm reading just to add something to Evernote. The Kindle makes it so easy to clip, I just wish there was an option to clip to Evernote as I was reading a book.

Glad to hear it's something on your radar!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I too would be interested in Kindle functionality.

I am not really interested in using Evernote FROM a kindle - but I do buy my ebooks from Amazon and in the Kindle format and I read them in a Kindle reader and take notes/highlight etc. It would be nice to have my notes exported from Amazon (they have them on a website now) and imported into EN.

I searched for a way to do that already and don't see it - but it seems like that should be pretty easy? I don't need to do anything from a Kindle, just import the highlighted text and my notes...

If you can find any export options in the Kindle software, you may be able to export and then either import the resulting file into Evernote or copy and paste the text. We don't yet have such native functionality.

Thanks

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Many of our users (http:ww.clippingsconverter.com) use our site to export their clippings first and then import to Evernote. We are considering adding the ability to import directly to Evernote in the near future.

Cheers

Jim

Hi! thanks for sharing this Jim. I find your site very useful. apart from upload to evernote and clippings conversion to word or pdf, I hope you can add more features soon that kindle owners like us might find helpful. thanks again. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have Kindle 4 (latest that sells for $80, with no keyboard and no touch support)

For keyboard, I believe "Pressing alt, shift and G on your keyboard" will do the trick. Plug in using usb cable and Windows will import those screens for you.

(BTW how DOES one do a screenshot from a (non-Fire) Kindle?)

Camera.

I have Kindle 4 (latest that sells for $80, with no keyboard and no touch support)

For keyboard, I believe "Pressing alt, shift and G on your keyboard" will do the trick. Plug in using usb cable and Windows will import those screens for you.

I stand corrected! Yep, I have an old keyboard Kindle (whatever model was the cool new thing in December 2009), and Alt+Shift+G gets the screenshot. The file is saved as a GIF in the Kindle "documents" folder. Thanks for this, en2ki.

Archived