Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Formatting Issues

evernote

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 heidismiles

heidismiles

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hello,

I'm using Evernote for Mac and Evernote for iPhone... trying to create simple rich-text checklists for my class syllabi. I have a different notes for "Class 01" "Class 02" etc.

I spent a lot of time formatting my lists, but found that when I synced to iPhone, several of the notes had significant formatting errors. The most common error was loss of line breaks (very important in a list!) Additionally, some notes came out entirely in Bold (instead of just the headings I created in Evernote Mac.) This didn't happen in all of my lists - only some of them, so it's very hard to understand what's causing the problem.

Any advice on fixing this problem? I've found that sometimes, if I create a NEW note and start from plain text, then re-do all the formatting, usually it will sync properly. But not always.

#2 heidismiles

heidismiles

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

Additionally ... I wonder if anyone has any other ideas on how to approach my lists.
Here's the deal: I teach classes on a repeating basis. There are ten days in the syllabus... but I may have several courses going on at once. Following?
My thought was to create a "template" of checklists for Day 01, Day 02, etc. I have these templates dated 01/01/2009 for sorting purposes.
Then, for each course I teach, I re-import the checklists, and date them according to the class schedule. This way, I can sort by date, open Evernote, and see my syllabus for the day.

This is the system I was using in MacJournal on my laptop, and it worked great. But I'd like to migrate this to my iPhone now, and I don't know if Evernote is the best option. First of all, the formatting issues described above. But additionally, there doesn't seem to be any way to "duplicate" a note. How frustrating! I have to re-import them every time I have a new class.

Any ideas for how to make this work better in Evernote iPhone? Or have any other apps that work for my intended purpose?
iCal isn't it, by the way ... I need a rich-text formatted syllabus, and I also need to be able to easily copy-paste the same data for each new class.

#3 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

Did you type all of the content of the notes directly into our client, or might you have created some of the content via copy & paste?
If you copied some of it, do you recall which application you copied from?

I just tried typing in various lists into the Mac client, and I see pretty consistent results if I then sync that and view it on the web, so there may be some issues with your input source:

Attached File  Screen shot 2009-12-09 at 12.35.54 PM.png   111.23KB   417 downloads

Thanks

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#4 heidismiles

heidismiles

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Thanks so much for your quick reply!
Well after I first noticed the problem, I started copying everything into TextEdit (plain text) first, then pasting into EN and doing the formatting manually. (I just want a few bold words, some horizontal rules, and checkboxes.) I don't know what caused the problem this time. I tried re-doing this particular note from scratch (new note and all), but it didn't help. All of my other notes have similar formatting, and many of them worked just fine. I don't get it :?

I couldn't find an example of the "bold" problem (I guess I managed to fix that), but here's one where I couldn't get the line breaks to work:

Here's how it looks in EN Mac:
http://i48.tinypic.com/14y2749.png

And on the iPhone:
Posted Image

#5 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

Ok, thanks for the report. We're looking into some of these line-ending-on-paste problems on the Mac.

#6 heidismiles

heidismiles

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

Ok, thanks for the report. We're looking into some of these line-ending-on-paste problems on the Mac.

...-on-paste?
So does that mean I should do manual line breaks after pasting? Would that help?

Thanks again.

#7 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:31 AM

That might help, but there's definitely some bugs around line endings from some applications, so we'll work to get that sorted out so you don't need to manually reformat the notes.

#8 neverote

neverote

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

I would like to add to the users experiencing this with OS X and the iPhone. As above, I see formatting problems, e.g. lists on the Mac that look like this...

Bread
Milk
Sugar

...become this on the iPhone...

BreadMilkSugar

Furthermore, if I edit a note on the iPhone, it seems to duplicate itself within the one note, so after editing I end up with this on the Mac and iPhone:

BreadMilkSugar
Bread
Milk
Sugar
Bananas

I have about 40 notes imported into Evernote, and if I have to manually reformat them, I'd rather go elsewhere or stick with Apple Mail Notes. Thank you in advance for working on both these issues for an urgent update.

#9 driven

driven

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

I have sort of the opposite problem. (I just opened a support ticket on this).

When I create or edit a note on the Windows desktop, and then subsequently go to edit it on the iPhone client (3.2) the note becomes double-space. If I save the (now) double-spaced note then it it double-spaced on all clients. If the note is lengthy then it is very time consuming to fix it. (Only to have it happen again).

For now: I have just set myself up to only edit notes on the platform that they were created on. This obviously limits the products usefulness.

Does anyone have a workaround or a fix for this? (Or is this something that is a bug that I'll just need to wait for a new product release to address.)

#10 chrisfrench937

chrisfrench937

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

I can add an additional symptom to the list, sorry. I'm using the latest versions of Evernote on a Windows7 desktop, and a OS X Snow Leopard MacBook Pro and am having similar sync issues. Almost all of my notes are created from scratch, not copied from other documents so the earlier response doesn't seem to apply.

The main problems seem to be with Font Size (probably owing to the fact the the Mac version uses Small, X-Small etc. rather than Font Sizes) and, as some one else has stated, with general formatting. I have had a similar problem with Bold as mentioned earlier. If a paragraph has something in Bold within it, after syncing and opening on another device, the entire paragraph becomes bold. The same sometimes happens with Italics. The strange thing is that it is inconsistent. I am also having similar problems with line breaks and spaces. Sometimes spaces disappear between words, or, alternatively, the single space between a full stop and new sentence extends to multiple spaces.

Has anyone found a way to correct this? It would be very useful, as Driven said, it limits the usefulness of the Sync function, which was one of the main attractions to Evernote.

Thanks

#11 rolfessenden

rolfessenden

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

Heidismiles,

I am a very avid fan of EN, so I am a bit hesitant to say that it is not the best tool for all purposes. However, if you are doing checklists that repeat on specific dates, as I understand it, you might consider Toodledo.com.

My apologies to the EN team for my infidelity...

Rol

#12 heidismiles

heidismiles

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Heidismiles,

I am a very avid fan of EN, so I am a bit hesitant to say that it is not the best tool for all purposes. However, if you are doing checklists that repeat on specific dates, as I understand it, you might consider Toodledo.com.

Rol

Thanks for the feedback.
Let me clarify, it's not what I would call "repeating" to-do lists, meaning, there's no predictable repeat to it.
I teach test prep classes, and each course I sign up for has 10 class days and follows the same syllabus.

I was using MacJournal for this and it was great, because I could easily duplicate entries and simply re-date them. To do this in Evernote, I need to export and re-import in order to "duplicate."

Any thoughts on that?

#13 rolfessenden

rolfessenden

• PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

I have similar situations with repeating sets of tasks that happen irregularly, but when they do, are repeated as they were the last time I did them.

I go into Toodledo, open completed tasks for a particular project, select the tasks I am interested in, mark them not completed, and reset the due date. Done.

It's worth a look, particularly because EN does not easily duplicate an existing note.

Toodledo also allows you to clone a task and all its subtasks with one click. Pretty cool.

Toodledo has an iphone app that you can purchase. Since you have an iphone it would always be available to you, and always syncronized.

As you can tell, I use Toodledo for project and task management. I use EN for notes of all kinds.

Good luck.

#14 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

Heidismiles,

Rol

(BNF whispers...)

I also use Toodledo for my to do list & have the Toodledo app on my iPhone.

I do have EN open pretty much 24/7 b/c I use it so much for storing other data.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#15 rolfessenden

rolfessenden

• PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:38 AM

Yep. These 2 are my go-to apps. With Toodledo on the ipod touch and now with EN on the ipod touch, I am in heaven. I always have my entire notebook and task/project list with me no matter where I am. Since I travel a lot, that is critically important.

I also keep them linked, although my methodology is totally not tecnoratically politically correct...it just works.

Rol

#16 s2sailor

s2sailor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

I also agree that EN is a wonderful data collection tool but I could not get it to work for me for task management. I realize that others have but I rely on MyLifeOrganized (MLO) for the extra flexibility it provides in this area. It is currently desktop only but I'm patiently waiting for the in progress iPhone app and cloud syncing. I'll also comment that in my opinion 3.5 is not yet fully formed for all note taking needs. I still use blocknote for any notes that require tables and then copy the results into EN. I'm hopeful that the developers will eventually allow you to modify tables and generally improve the note editor. I look forward to the day I can stop using blocknote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote