(Archived) Feature request: E-mail directly to a specified notebook

It would be nice to be able to send in notes per e-mail such that they arrive directly in a specified notebook. For example using plus-addressing, i.e. if my archiving e-mail address is user.123@m.evernote.com for the default notebook, then sending an e-mail to user.123+foo@m.evernote.com would store it in notebook foo. This scheme is used by some e-mail providers, so I guess it's not too difficult to implement.

Konrad.

• Level 5

A work-around solution: In your email subject line add a special code (example NTB-) and notebook name (example Biz)

Email Subject Line: Meeting Next Tuesday at 9am NTB-Biz

In Evernote, I search for intitle:NTB*

Then I drag the note to the proper notebook, and erase the NTB-Biz from the header

I'm not much of a saved search user, but could you also do something like this with saved searches? Using the previous example, put NTB-Biz in your subject line, and then save that search, so clicking on that saved search in the sidebar would always show you all the notes with that in the header. (Again, I don't use saved searches much at all, so maybe someone who does can answer it better).

• Level 5

Yes, you could certainly save the search. And the benefit is that a simple glance at the count of the saved search will tell you if any new emails have arrived.

And if you want to jazz up the search to only find notes with NTB-Biz that were created since last Sunday, you could save it with a creation search criteria. For instance:

• intitle:NTB-BZ created:week-1

p.s. The 40Tech blog is awesome.

This is how I would use the power of multiple email addresses.

In gmail a client ( clientX ) sends me an email, in gmail I can filter any message from clientX to automatically forward to an email address. I already have all my emails going right to evernote (into the drop box). But there a ton of emails that don't need to live in evernote, also you have to search for those clients (because they are not going to tag their header of their email). Automation is key!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Let me bump up this thread by adding the same comment that I made on the Evernote blog on 7/25, hoping that this will be taken into consideration. It looks like I am not the only one asking for more flexibility while importing notes from email.

It looks like what I said back in July was very similar to the original suggestion from kh92:

What if the additional tags and notebook name would be part of the email address to forward the email to rather than the email subject?

Gmail cannot change the email subject when forwarding to an address, but it’s very simple to setup multiple email addresses to forward different email to using the filters in Gmail.

Here is how I would see it: at the end of our incoming email address, one could add, using a predefined subdivider, a notebook and/or tags, something like:

[username].12345+notebook.tag1.tag2@m.evernote.com

or simply

[username].12345.tag1@m.evernote.com

if we want the email directed to the default notebook.

This should not be too difficult to implement, really, as the parsing you do today on the Subject: field would simply need to be extended to the To: field.

Looking forward to some feedback on this feature request!

Hoping to see this tiny feature request happen someday...

Ciao, Luca

Milan, Italy

Thanks for the suggestions. Notebook names can be up to 100 characters long, and include a lot of characters that are illegal in email addresses, so this is a bit tricky. We don't want to announce a feature that would require people to manually rename all of their notebooks based on a rigid set of rules based on SMTP standards. But we appreciate the idea.

Notebook names can be up to 100 characters long, and include a lot of characters that are illegal in email addresses, so this is a bit tricky. We don't want to announce a feature that would require people to manually rename all of their notebooks based on a rigid set of rules based on SMTP standards. But we appreciate the idea.

thanks Dave, and we appreciate this acknowledgment.

I understand your caution in addressing the limiting factors due to the smaller available chars due to the SMTP/RFC822 limits and your willingness to avoid unnecessary support calls and emails, but maybe this could be dealt with a fallback to the default notebook in case the match doesn't work for any chars ambiguity, same is true for tags.

What you might want to add is a one-liner at the beginning of the new imported note with a warning of some import error due to the limits in the SMTP/RFC822 syntax.

I know, I know, it still smells like support nightmare, but I still believe that this is an advanced feature that only those who know what they're doing will actually fully exploit. I for one sure will! :D

Ciao, Luca

Another problem is that a lot of email address validators (entirely wrongly) don't allow pluses in addresses. Could be a problem if wanting to use the 'email to ' facility of various apps.

as you say, this is not Evernote's problem... maybe it's time to nudge other people on some other support forum... :D

--L

as you say, this is not Evernote's problem... maybe it's time to nudge other people on some other support forum... :D

--L

In practise though it'll remain a problem, as the validators are in many cases doing this deliberately to stop people using the name+label@gmail.com format (companies don't like this as it enables people to trace onsales of addresses to spammers).

• 7 months later...

I'm really trying to fix this as well to work with a gmail filter. Which would work for me is if Evernote allowed the "@ notebook" or "# tag" to be at the beginning of a message.

I use Google Groups to forward a copy of the message off to my evernote account. Google Groups allows be to automatically assign a label to the front of every received message subject. Something like:

[AUTO GOOGLE GROUP LABEL] This is the normal subject

I can easily make this be:

[@ Special Evernote Notebook] This is the normal subject

This seems like a fairly easy change for Evernote and allows me to use gmail filters.

Note: we are use the Google Apps edition. I don't know if Google Groups is available to all Google users.

Archived