BUG: Export Note to HTML, Import into MS Word Mac

• Level 5*

There is a BUG in either the Evernote Export to HTML, or in the HTML Import to MS Word.

To test out the process of moving a Note from Evernote to Word, I did the following:

1. Create a simple EN Note by typing.
  2. Export this Note to HTML
  3. Attempt to Open this HTML file from Word
  4. Get Word Error Msg -- cannot open XML file

Has anyone else seen this? 

The BUG seems to be in the Evernote HTML export, because I was able to successfully import into Word a HTML file saved using FireFox of a web page.

I got this error msg:

Word-Error-Msg-Import-HTML.gif

Here is the contents of the HTML file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/><meta name="exporter-version" content="Evernote Mac 5.5.1 (402628)"/><meta name="altitude" content="27"/><meta name="author" content="My Name"/><meta name="created" content="2014-04-26 16:22:55 +0000"/><meta name="latitude" content="30.10863745999999"/><meta name="longitude" content="-95.39710333499997"/><meta name="updated" content="2014-04-26 16:23:51 +0000"/><title>TEST Note to Export to HTML to Word</title></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">This is a simple test Note to test the process of:<div><ul><li>Export from EN as HTML</li><li>Import HTML file into Word</li></ul><div><br/></div></div></body></html>
  • Level 5*

Evernote has responded quickly, and has declared that this is an official BUG.

Here's the response I received today:

Thanks for contacting Evernote support. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it appears that there is currently a bug causing this issue. An internal bug report has been filed with our QA Team Lead and our engineers are working on this issue and hope to have it fixed soon. At this time, we are currently unable to provide you with a timeline for when this will be fixed. We do hope to have this fixed as soon as possible, but unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you now.

Again, I'm really sorry about this and I wish there was more I could do. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with and I'll be happy to help.

Karl G.
Evernote

• 6 months later...

I was wondering if there's been any progress with this issue.  If there's no fix yet are there edits that can be done to the xml (note this happens with enex files as well as html) that will get around the problem?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Evernote has acknowledged it is a BUG.  

Here's the email I received from EN Support on Apr 29, 2014:

Thanks for contacting Evernote support. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it appears that there is currently a bug causing this issue. An internal bug report has been filed with our QA Team Lead and our engineers are working on this issue and hope to have it fixed soon. At this time, we are currently unable to provide you with a timeline for when this will be fixed. We do hope to have this fixed as soon as possible, but unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you now.
Again, I'm really sorry about this and I wish there was more I could do. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with and I'll be happy to help.
Karl G.

Evernote

• 1 month later...

I have also found this bug in 6.0.6.  Tried editing the html to bring the exported note into "compliance" with Word, but to no avail.  The solution that worked was using pandoc to convert from .html to .docx.  From the command-line:

pandoc -f html -t docx -o <outfile_name.docx> <EN_note.html>

Hope this helps someone!

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This still seems to be an issue. It's disappointing as I just captured a meeting that needs to be turned into a document for review. This is easy with OneNote but I've hit a roadblock by using Evernote. Does this mean I have to go back to OneNote or can Evernote help me work with my content outside of Evernote.

I've also tried copy and paste but it does not bring across the images in the note.

I can recreate the document manually in this case but there's not much point using Evernote for meeting notes again if I always have then manually copy and paste over to Word when it's required.

If i've missed a trick, please do let me know.

Archived